Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:00:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Dock fishing!!

Started by PIGSMALLIE, July 14, 2009, 12:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIGSMALLIE

Ok this is something I dont do often but sometimes thats where the big fish are.Most of the time i'm dropshotting.Anyway I was wondering what lb test most of you use on docks? I was using my normal 8 lb 100 percent fluoro yesterday and that didnt cut it.I'm thinking about either using 10 xt or 12 fluoro...Any advice will be appreciated.This lake is very clear. ???

djkimmel

Anything below 12 pound is pushing it. Some of the really good dock anglers I know use only 17 and above. I always also have a rod rigged up with 10 to 20 pound P-Line Spectrex superline (actual pound test depends on the size of bass I realistically think I might hook - often on a spinning rod 6'6" MH larger spool) since Spectrex holds up to more abuse around posts and often doesn't hurt with strikes much on some of the types of water I tend to dock fish on.

I usually start with the Spectrex and only switch if I really think I have to. Hook bass easier. Pull them farther faster with more power while still letting me use a less powerful spinning reel (verses casting) so less backlashes and easier skipping. They can wrap Spectrex around a post and you can still get many of them.

I even try this on clear lakes and go to a little lighter Spectrex if I don't think I'll encounter a lot of big, mean bass. I've pulled 5 pounders out from docks on 10 pound Spectrex on a spinning rod still. I think bass under docks behave differently than bass out in the open when it comes to line, baits. You're entering their turf and challenging them with not much room to retreat as long are you are somewhat stealthy and avoid obvious spooking behavior.

Fluorocarbon is pretty good, but if you are around a lot of sharp edges, I've found that fluorocarbon, because it is stiffer, will cut faster than mono when pulled tight against sharp edges - that's what I've noticed anyway. Sometimes mono is better then, if I can't get away with Spectrex. I use fluoro around trees, brush, pontoons, but if I'm on water that has a lot of edges, cables, rusty metal with bolts, it seems better to use heavier mono, but I usually can get away with superline.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TCook

If you get your angles right and tighten your drag way down until you get the bass away from the dock then loosen the drag you should be able to get away with using 10lb flouro on your spinning setups. Me and my buddies have been using this setup for along time and the bass rarely wrap us up, we pull alot of 4 and 5 pounders out this way. I found that if you attempt to use heavier flouro it will cause problems due to stiffness, and if you use heavier mono or braid it effects the fall and distance you can skip your baits. I experimented alot last year with braid and got my but kicked every time until I switched back to the 10lb flouro. I like a 6'-6'6" rod for more accuracy in tight quarters, medium if using a 6 footer and MH on a 6'6" you need some whip to sling weightless baits. I would try bumping the posts with a spinnerbait and topwater around the docks in the morning then when the sun is up skip areas other guys dont normally get to, usually a good idea to focus on pontoons. If you can master skipping with a baitcaster then you can go as heavy as you wish but I would still use flourocarbon because it sinks. I have been working on this, still need more practice but getting better the more time I spend skipping with baitcasters, still opt for my spinning though.

T
FISH HARD!!!

bassmandan

if your gonna use baitcasters id say 17lb+. i prefer to use flouro since most of the lakes are clear and i use 20lb 7'6" MH-H action flippin stick those bass dont stand a chance...and dont forget to crank the drag all the way up with those big sticks, dont let those fish win  ;)
"dont stop keep fishing"

MBell

Knot test that 100% your using, you will be suprised how easily it breaks.  I have done well skipping docks with bps xps mono in 8-10lb.  I also use 30lb or 40lb power pro, but you don't get as many bites.
-Matt 

DDBethke

Quote from: PIGSMALLIE on July 14, 2009, 12:52:46 PM
Ok this is something I dont do often but sometimes thats where the big fish are.Most of the time i'm dropshotting.Anyway I was wondering what lb test most of you use on docks? I was using my normal 8 lb 100 percent fluoro yesterday and that didnt cut it.I'm thinking about either using 10 xt or 12 fluoro...Any advice will be appreciated.This lake is very clear. ???

FYI Berkely's 100% Fluoro is guilty of False Advertising. Their 6lb is = to the industries 8lb, Their 8lb is = to the industries 10 lb, etc.. ???

Duane
Please Like my Facebook Page for the best Power-Pole pricing available!                                             http://www.facebook.com/TournamentReadyTackle
Optimum Baits Pro Staff
http://www.optimumbaits.com/
Reins Pro-Staff (Tungsten/Soft Plastics)
http://reinsfishing.com/
Twitter
http://twitter.com/DDBethke
Blog
http://duanebethkefishing.blogspot.com/

TCook

Try some 10lb seaguar invisx for your dock skipping, very supple so it lays on spinning reels without wanting to jump off and strong too. Just got back from D&R and 6-12lb is $14.99 for 200yrd spools and thats there everyday price, I picked myself up a bunch.
FISH HARD!!!

Durand Dan

All this dock fishing talk is driving me to Lobdell in the morning. Anyone want to ride along?

Good old Trilene XT for me!!

PIGSMALLIE

I thought about using xt but i dont think i will get the bites like i would if i use fluoro.I might try some of that seaguar.

dartag

i get quite a collection of baits under my dock and pontoon boat.  most are on light line.  i do enjoy watching guys fish my stuff since i never have a bass under them.

you guys ever get yelled at for fishing docks.  i have heard some people do that on pontiac lake doing that.   i usually stay offshore.

bassmandan

not exactly yelled at for fishing them just encounters from home owners from other peoples poor casting, if i see the people watching me around their dock i dont really pitch under their pontoon boats...either next to them where i would believe i could get bit. no risky casts when im being watched, 97% of the time i dont hit anything
"dont stop keep fishing"

Flippin222

As much as I try, I am still a "shore banger".

Weightless baits and 1/8 oz or smaller jigs - I use 8lb BPS flouro with a 7'0" M - MH spinning rod. This lets me stay back from the docks/pontoons a little further and get the bait well under the target.

1/4 oz jigs or larger (dock/pontoons) - I have switched to 20lb power pro braid with a 5' to 6' leader of 14lb BPS flouro (uni to uni knot). 6'6" MH spinning rod.

On both rigs I have pulled some very good fish out from under boats/docks without issue (some I don't know how after wrapping around 2-3 posts or even lower units). I am sure I have lost some fish because of the 8lb test, but I believe the benefits have outweighed the negatives.

Couple of points other points:
* Use the largest spinning reel you are comfortable with (seems to handle the flourocarbon and braided line better).
* I tighten my drag nearly all the way down so it does not slip on the hook set. If it is a decent/good fish, I will flip the switch so that I am able to back reel.
Don't sweat the petty things; Don't pet the sweaty things

Durand Dan

Quote from: PIGSMALLIE on July 14, 2009, 05:12:33 PM
I thought about using xt but i dont think i will get the bites like i would if i use fluoro.I might try some of that seaguar.
I don't agree that a dock presentation is highly effected by the line color/size. Most of the time I feel it's a reaction bite. Very seldom do I let my bait set more than a few seconds on each cast. I cast under the obstruction (dock, pontoon) and slowly reel back, not spending a lot of time in one area.

canvsbk

Can I talk you into trying some 4#? Think about all the bites you'll get. Just give it a chance, say try it for the evening Thursday night.( I actually see a sort of loss of manhood in all that heavy stuff.) You could start a new fad - finesse dock fishing, it could go all the way to Japan even.The press will go mad, magazine articles, TV interviews - maybe even a movie contract.
DO IT MAN! 4# YES!!
Look past what they want you to see.

PIGSMALLIE

Quote from: canvsbk on July 14, 2009, 07:46:35 PM
Can I talk you into trying some 4#? Think about all the bites you'll get. Just give it a chance, say try it for the evening Thursday night.( I actually see a sort of loss of manhood in all that heavy stuff.) You could start a new fad - finesse dock fishing, it could go all the way to Japan even.The press will go mad, magazine articles, TV interviews - maybe even a movie contract.
DO IT MAN! 4# YES!!

You would absolutely love that then I would come in saying..I just lost 15 lbs  on the docks all 3 lbers and they all broke me off!!LMAO!!

skeeterman190

ahh finally something i could write 4 days on.. like Tcook said we dont go big on line. Ive finally found a line that i think is the best out..(sunline sniper) the heaviest i go with it is 10.umm now dont laugh but last weekend i was still skipping with a setup i had from burt mullet. 7lb sniper on it.. i wrestled a 4.5 outta 5 poles and she wrapped me 3 times.. i know we'll have to discuss this next week when Tim and I get back from Erie but i gotta witness. Usually its 10lb w a 6'6 mh extra fast tip.. im lookin at this IMX Loomis thats 6' i want it.. in case u dont know i pretty much spend all my time fishing boat docks and pontoons when i largemouth fish.. its so fun.. like hand to hand combat and bowhunting.
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

MBell

Quote from: dartag on July 14, 2009, 05:28:19 PM
i get quite a collection of baits under my dock and pontoon boat.  most are on light line.  i do enjoy watching guys fish my stuff since i never have a bass under them.

you guys ever get yelled at for fishing docks.  i have heard some people do that on pontiac lake doing that.   i usually stay offshore.
I enjoy the yelling, it can get pretty entertaining.  I do get bothered by the bb guns though.  I'm pretty good at skipping so I'm usually about ready to leave by the time they come down to yell at me.

-Matt

dartag

there is a NBAA tonight on my lake.  the boys are pounding the docks.  had 3 boats fish mine already.   one boat caught a keeper off my neighbors hoist.   there are a couple boats out on the flats.  but most are on the edge.  nice night to be on the water.

Mike S.

I fish docks religiously.  I use 10 pound P-Line floro coated on a 7 foot medium action lightning rod.  If I don't have P-Line on, I use 10 pound Stren clear blue.  Works for me.

MSURoss

Docks are my fav way to fish. I only use a .5oz football head with rage plastics get bites when pitched under pontoons.