Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:01:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

What do you consider a good Michigan largemouth?

Started by Bass-Sniper, October 29, 2008, 12:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bass-Sniper

It seems to me that all the big bass caught in south eastern Michigan are smallmouth. So my question to everyone is what do you consider a big bucket mouth?

This was probably one of my biggest large mouth I got this past summer and the biggest anyone caught out of my raft it weighed in at something like 2lb 4oz which is really a dink.

Bender

On the lakes I fish I consider a 4+ pounder pretty good, a 5+ would be a very big one to me.
For some reference you can look at some of the local clubs' websites that show results and see what size took Big Bass in their tournaments. Some of them say if it was a LM or SM.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Revtro

I've caught very few over 5lbs.  My best last year was 4.14.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

thedude

i'd say anything over 3 is a good fish, over 4 a great fish, and over 5+ outstanding.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Fishmael

Yeah, I would agree.  Anything over 4lbs is worth noting.  3lbs is good and 5lbs is really quite rare in our waters.  I think I caught less than 10 fish over 4lbs this year.  0 over 5.

skeeterman190

A trophy is in the eye of the beholder. If its your personal best then it is truly a trophy! A big buckethead? HUH really depends on the body of water. Never fished a body of water in SE Michigan so i couldnt tell ya. 3# is always a good fish. Now you start fishing places like PawPaw Lake or White Lake, id say a very good buckethead would be 5. But those are exceptions to the rule. I personally have took numerous 5's out of both those places this year. I was shooting for 6 and seen almost a 7 weighed in during a touney there(PawPaw) its the land of giants! I feel that those big fish are complete loners and to search out the areas they can seclude themselves and feel safe. Set your goals and shoot for them. dont let what everyone else does influence you. Im a true believer in that. This is a great place to learn things but take what U learn and make it fit you! Then you reap the benfits and there so much sweeter. Good luck and stik a big one.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Durand Dan

Cheetam

Jeff

djkimmel

I was just going to say I really appreciate any largemouth bass that is nicest enough to bite my lures... ;D I like them all and a 2-4 is not a dink (I'd of killed for 'dink' like that many a time in a tournament). Someone did a feature article a while ago that showed if you consistently caught limits of bass weighing over 2 pounds that you would have ended up winning a PILE of money in tournaments...!?!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Northern Bass Bum

Like the latter statements, it all depends on the mindset of the fisherman or woman.

First, let's clarify one thing. Not all SE MI bass are smallies. I live in SE Michigan and most all bass I catch are largemouth. I'd say 9.5 of 10 bass I catch are of the latter species.

To me though, a big michigan largemouth is somewhere upwards of 5 to 5 and a half pounds. I think my biggest this year is around 6, but my father caught a 7.97 and last year I caught a 7.67. They're out there, just hard to come by.

A question that I ponder a lot though is this: How many bass, large or smallmouth, over ten pounds are caught in Michigan each year? Over 50? 100?

Always keeps me guessing!

Good post though.

-NBB  :)
Bass Fishing... What can I say, I'm hooked!

skeeterman190

Over 10?? id say very few if any. i seen where a kid caught one near the gun lake area. good for him that will hook him for life but dont expect that! the fish have such a shorter growing period around here, a fish like that is a true giant! smallies over 10?? id love to hook one. im sure there are a few swimming around erie and st.clair! My personal best is a 6lb11oz giant largie caught out of Lake Monroe in Southern Indiana. after that i got 2 smallies from michigan. one @6lbs8oz out of Lake Leelanau and a 6lb3oz hog from crooked lake.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

Cheetam

Quote from: Northern Bass Bum on October 30, 2008, 07:23:28 PM

A question that I ponder a lot though is this: How many bass, large or smallmouth, over ten pounds are caught in Michigan each year? Over 50? 100?

-NBB  :)

Actually weighed, photographed and verified?  Less than 1 per year (and that's probably too high).  However, if you talk to any one who doesn't have a scale, a tape measure or a camera...I'm guessing thousands...daily.
Jeff

bassmandan

"dont stop keep fishing"

skeeterman190

cheetam: isnt it so funny that everyone that fishes the lakes that we all go to are so much better than us! ive heard it way too many times.things from guys @ the ramp there tell me i cant catch s*&^%???? im a nice guy and pretty much say oh yeah thats awesome! saddle up your horse and compete That will show u-SKEETERMAN- WEVE ALL CAUGHT A 10LBER!!!! JUST ASK US
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

skeeterman190

(SADDLE UP YOUR HORSE AND COMPETE IS IN MY HEAD!!!) I truly think it funny when i talk to people @ the ramp that say yeah there here and there but have nothing to show for it?? I love meat fishermen but give me a break!!!!! stick to the perch and crappies. i dont need any advise about how bad i suck and how far off i am.-skeeterman-
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

chrisvmo

I got two in one day. Look at my picture. one was 10.8 and the other was just over 11. but I did forget my scale that day. ;)

McCarter

i dont think it was 'your'  sense of humor that was dry. i got it. 

chrisvmo

Cheetam

Jeff

Bass-Sniper

I got it too, but LMAO at the comment below I think I have to use that one.

Quote from: UAWBigDog on October 31, 2008, 05:55:28 AM

If B.S. were music.........you'd be a brass band.    :D

BD              ;D