Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 01:15:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2008 DK Fall Open

Started by Cy, July 22, 2008, 01:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cy

We should start thinking about the 2008 DK Fall Open.  It is almost the first of August and it takes us a long time to make any choices on dates and places.  Any early thoughts on where we should fish or when?  I know we talked about Chippewa Lake and Mona Lake last year, both are good choices I think.  I am open to most anyhwere and in September/October dates aren't all that important either.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

TCook

I would suggest a northern michigan lake, I think the quality of fishing alone during the fall will draw enough members. I bet many guys on this site are planning a trip in september or october anyways up there, I know I am.
FISH HARD!!!

motocross269

Long or Grand Lake?????(Alpena)...I know they are a long drive with gas at 4 bucks, but there are some hogs pulled out of those lakes in the fall.  Maybe Dan could tie it in with the Alpena club's open..
Just my 2 cents...

djkimmel

I just can't see many people wanting to drive that far north this year. If enough anglers prove me wrong, that's another story.

I was thinking about a true Western open this year, but not too far north - I'm just concerned to increase in fishing success might not offset the additional cost of driving - I'm overwhelmed with stories of anglers cutting back on their fishing due to the high cost of travel. I know I have too.

I think the fishing on some of the western lakes can be better in September/October based on my past experiences anyway. My only concerns about the West event are not getting many East/SE members able to make the drive, and having a very hard time finding a date and lake that enough of the West people will/can make it.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

I understand...With gas prices the way they are traveling is tough..Just wishful thinking out loud..

MadWags

Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

dartag

how about something around your hometown.  Lake lansing,  Ovid.       Maybe Cass it is close to Lansing i think.   Maybe invite the GOV..

Durand Dan

Lansing's not a bad choice. Please not Ovid ;D

Cy

I took money home from last years fall open Ovid.  I would fish it again. 

I don't care where we fish.  I am always busy in the spring so it is my goal to make the fall open.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

LAPORTE

PawPaw had a nice write up this last year it may be to far south but it is west.  ;D ...  Remember my fishing has been limited to Belleville lake & Lake St.Clair.

I consider myself a rookie still after 1 1/2  years and already im turning into a lifetime CO ...lol

my 0.02    Ill shut up and listen now.... :D

Don L
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

djkimmel

I picked Ovid again, because there just wasn't enough consensus to do anything further West last year. I was afraid I'd only have 4 boats.

I'm open any suggestions that seem to have good support. Even Ovid again - I'm sure Durand Dan will eventually... some to enjoy Lake Ovid. ;D Some of the west coast lakes/rivers can be very fun in the fall too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

Dan, are there any fish in the Grand River around Lansing?? I haven't fished it in about 20 years and it was horrible back then. I remember the results of the Grand Pointe Marina tourneys were pretty light.. I keep hearing reports of better fishing in the Lansing area..

TCook

Ya going up north would be a long haul for alot of guys and expensive, I just thought enough guys might prefer to do that maybe make a weekend out of it and whack double digit 4-5 pounders a day. Also a long haul and expensive for the eastsiders a true westside tournament would be nice as well, my vote would be for Paw Paw or White lake in that case. In michigan I dont think Largemouth fishing can get any better than those two lakes. Although my money would be best spent to travel farther for the best smallmouth fishing in the world at the best time of year with a great group of guys.

T
FISH HARD!!!

Durand Dan

Quote from: djkimmel on July 24, 2008, 12:49:30 PM
I picked Ovid again, because there just wasn't enough consensus to do anything further West last year. I was afraid I'd only have 4 boats.

I'm open any suggestions that seem to have good support. Even Ovid again - I'm sure Durand Dan will eventually... some to enjoy Lake Ovid. ;D Some of the west coast lakes/rivers can be very fun in the fall too.
Dan,
Just kiddin. I fish Ovid quite a lot being that it's only about 25 mins. away. I'll show up where ever you choose. ( I also fished the Grand back in the late 90's and found it tough, however lately I would have a hard time in a stacked pond!! ;D)

djkimmel

The Grand in Lansing got better for quite a while, then it got tougher again. I haven't fished it much lately so I don't have a real good handle on how tough or good it might be. I may get down there a little soon. Not sure if many anglers would want to travel here to fish the river, although I do like river fishing.

I like White Lake on the west side too. I don't do well there in tournaments lately for some reason, but I do pretty good when just fishing. I like going up north to whack big smallies too. Can enough people want to do that to pull it off?

thedude

i would definitley make it to a white or paw paw event.... as long as its not when i'm in canada :)
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Bender

I would like to try Chippewa, just because I have never been there, it is a little bit up north and westside, and I don't know anybody on here who fishes it a lot. We did have a really good time on Ovid last year though.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Cy

I have never been on Paw Paw, but I have heard the bite is good.  Chippewa is good, I know it has a good population of bass but I haven't fished it very much.  White lake is always good, I don't think I have ever fished it in the fall.  I am sure it is awesome in the fall.

Hardy Pond should be good in fall too.  It will produce a mixed bag of fish and not to hard to get to. 

We could do a river float trip / tournament on the Muskegon below Croton dam.  Every one could buy, beg, borrow or steal a kayak, ODC or canoe.  I saw a picture in the Newaygo sports shop yesterday with some nice smallies from the river.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

cameraguy

How about September 13 or 14 on Wixom Lake, or Cadillac/Mitchell, or if it has to be on the west side, Muskegon or White?

MadWags

For us east siders, anything west of Woodward Ave. is the west side. So using that logic, Lake Ovid would be considered a West side lake. ;D
I would try to pick a lake.........but I can't.
:-\'
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.