Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 11:23:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

2008 DK Fall Open

Started by Cy, July 22, 2008, 01:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Quote from: thedude on July 29, 2008, 03:09:18 PM
if you guys are real nice to me, i might be able to get us on lake templene.... which is by sturgis.. i think zona has a house there. big private lake, awesome fishing. My 2nd cousin is on the fisheries board for lake association.

Is a 2nd cousin close enough to pull this off?? I always liked Templene, but haven't been on the lake in... wow, I can't even remember how long ago that was. A long way across for many of the anglers, although if they knew more about the lake, maybe they'd want to come.

The only place I've seen a boat launched by a horse-drawn boat trailer... ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

1javelin

Okay, I understand the whole expensive gas deal and wanting to make it a 1 day event, but come on.  We (Us West-siders and out-of-staters) make the trip over to St. Clair to fish the Spring Open, not just because it is fun and good fishing, but because we attend the DK Open.  How much further East can you possibly go?  Give us west-siders some credit and come over to fish, without worrying about getting over and back for under $200.  Traverse City has I would believe the best, yeah I said it, smallmouth fishing the fall has to offer.  We caught a dozen fish over 5 pounds there in 2 weekends last year on Leelanau.  It was tough for some, but it was every fish over 3 pounds amazing!  Paw Paw has been putting out some good fish this year pretty consistently, but it takes some looking.  A lot of people hate that lake, and if the pleasure boaters are out it is horrible.  White Lake has been very consistent on numbers this year, and it is a lot of community hole fishing with some refining thrown in.  I say we make this a true and honest west-side event, and come or not, let us west-siders bathe in a tourney for a change. 

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

thedude

Quote from: djkimmel on July 30, 2008, 10:59:23 PM
if you guys are real nice to me, i might be able to get us on lake templene.... which is by sturgis.. i think zona has a house there. big private lake, awesome fishing. My 2nd cousin is on the fisheries board for lake association.

Is a 2nd cousin close enough to pull this off?? I always liked Templene, but haven't been on the lake in... wow, I can't even remember how long ago that was. A long way across for many of the anglers, although if they knew more about the lake, maybe they'd want to come.

my dad's cousin and a semi-retired bass hound to boot. He took fishin a lot as a kid and has given me his key to the ramp many times. They have public tournaments out there so it shouldn't be that big of a deal.

and yes - the only place i've ever seen the horse launched boat too!! lol.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

VinceR

I've heard this story. I thought that it was just a "(Sub) Urban Legend".

Cy

Quote from: VinceR on July 31, 2008, 11:44:40 AM

I've heard this story. I thought that it was just a "(Sub) Urban Legend".

I've seen a horse launch a boat on Pickerel lake up by Newaygo.  The worst part was the guy had his horse double parked and his buggy was taking up 2 spots at the ramp.  We were going to fish there but once we saw that we just kept on going.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

spinninbug

Hardy?  Woo Hoo that would be awsome! 
Wendy

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

djkimmel

I can't make people go where they don't want to or can't afford to.

I have no problem going to the west IF I get enough participants to be worth having the event in the first place. I don't expect very many East siders to make the trip any more than I expected West siders to make the trip.

The real issue is only this - are there enough west side members I can get to agree on one lake on one day? So far, that has not happened. Too many other events and too many PM'ing me or emailing me and saying 'if you have it THERE I won't come but I'll come if it is HERE instead' and then the next one sends me a message and says the opposite.

Here's what I can do - I will pick a 3 lakes and maybe 2 dates - I have to work all weekend so it just depends on my breaks if I get to it this weekend, but I'll put them up as soon as I can. Then I'll pick the most popular. Then we'll see how many people say they will come on that day and that lake. If I get less than 10 persons saying they will come, then I probably will not hold the event, or maybe propose coming back further East.

If I can get, say 12 or more persons, then I will hold a West side event. It will help if everyone remembers there is no perfect date and perfect lake that makes everyone happy, so there has to be some compromise for these things to work.

I will start with one poll just to clarify now if Saturday or Sunday is preferred. I know I have many East members who can't fish on Sunday, but I also know there are a fair amount of West siders who also don't fish tournaments on Sundays.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

TritonTR20

You must have never been to Dukes Bridge in Northern Indiana. There are actually  hitching posts in the ramp parking lot.

dartag

found Hardy on my map,  350 mile round trip for a days fishing.  hope you get a good turnout. 
I will be on the couch. 

see ya in the spring.

ss

1javelin

Lake Templene it is!!  I have never heard of this lake, but what the hey, private and Zona has a house on it, it should be fun!!  If nothing else we can host our own version of 'World's Greatest Fishing Show'

1Jav
Live to fish, Fish to live.

djkimmel

Templene is an interesting lake. In the past, the fishing was very good one minute and terrible the next. I don't know what it looks like now, but it had a creek winding through standing timber. Additional areas of standing timber. Two or three basins from old ponds that were flooded. Used to be lots of milfoil. My memory beyond that, and launching off the side of a road, are vague.

thedude

Quote from: djkimmel on July 31, 2008, 11:12:16 PM
Templene is an interesting lake. In the past, the fishing was very good one minute and terrible the next. I don't know what it looks like now, but it had a creek winding through standing timber. Additional areas of standing timber. Two or three basins from old ponds that were flooded. Used to be lots of milfoil. My memory beyond that, and launching off the side of a road, are vague.

thats pretty much it.  the upper lake is a lot of standing timber, shallow and lots of milfoil... the lower lake is the flooded basins, mostly weed cover, some downed timber/stumps w/ a creek channel down the middle. Better deeper water structure out here also. Lots of pads/hydrilla as well. they have a private lake assoc. launch to use. last time i was there the milfoil was pretty thick, but the water quality was great... fishing was good too. If its a serious consideration, let me know and i will contact John to see if its doable before everyone votes on it.
Palehorse Custom Rods

Bender

That sounds like a good place, especially since it will be new to most of us. I stopped by Hardy yesterday to check it out and it looks pretty good too. Anyplace is fine with me.
BTW, is this the launch that you are talking about?
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

fiker

Interesting.  You made me laugh.

How come they have to use horse & buggy on land, (no motors).  But in the water a gasoline outboard is ok? 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

thedude

Quote from: fiker on August 02, 2008, 08:43:35 AM

How come they have to use horse & buggy on land, (no motors).  But in the water a gasoline outboard is ok? 
don't ask me.. they're using fishfinders, trolling motors and fancy baitcasters too!
Palehorse Custom Rods

djkimmel

It's kinda like eating muskrats in Monroe County on Friday's instead of just fish... muskrats swim in the water... so it's okay. I guess! (I think it helps if it is really old too...)

djkimmel

Guess I wouldn't mind a trip to Templene after a long hiatus. It's a long drive for pretty much everyone, but it is different than most lakes in Michigan. How much parking do they have there? I've only been by the private ramp by water.

thedude

not a ton of parking i don't think - maybe 10-15 spots. Been a while since i've been there. i don't want to throw a wrench in the works.. if shooting for a "true" west side outing maybe something like White would be more appropriate... its been taking like 16-18lbs to win there all summer.
Palehorse Custom Rods

JCOOPER

Steering wheels are the "no-no" as long as it is a tiller motor they are good.  At D and R we would sell to these guys 6-7 times a year and I finally asked!
I am a pre bred mix between a ninja and a polar bear.  A truly deadly combination.

djkimmel

Quote from: JCOOPER on August 04, 2008, 09:30:06 AM

Steering wheels are the "no-no" as long as it is a tiller motor they are good.  At D and R we would sell to these guys 6-7 times a year and I finally asked!

Man... I'd like to get a peek into that 'rule book,' wouldn't you?