Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:40:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Release of fish?

Started by PIGSMALLIE, July 11, 2008, 08:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIGSMALLIE

I was wondering if anyone knows whether they take the fish back to St. Clair or release them in the Detroit River? If they dont take them back to St.Clair there is no way they will go all the way back.That is a heck of alot of fish being taken out of there without putting some back.Just curious!!!Any reponses would be appreciated!!!

Get_the_net

Quote from: DOWD on July 11, 2008, 09:40:06 PM
They ask the angler where he caught the fish, ex. erie, St Clair, Pelee or wherever and FL take those exact fish back to that lake. They must have had 10 boats runing all over putting the fish back. Cool site to see. I seem a few fish tagged.

Do they use the pontoon type release boats or are they using bass boats with regular live wells?  Alot of fish (more than 15) in a regular bass boat livewell in those type of waves for those distances will take a beating and suffer.  With 2000 fish caught on day one, that would be alot of trips back and forth to Pelee and St. clair if they are using regular bass boats.

PIGSMALLIE

Quote from: DOWD on July 11, 2008, 09:40:06 PM
They ask the angler where he caught the fish, ex. erie, St Clair, Pelee or wherever and FL take those exact fish back to that lake. They must have had 10 boats runing all over putting the fish back. Cool site to see. I seem a few fish tagged.
You have seen this....That would be a good thing thats.... what ive heard before....But I have also heard that they just use a tube and release them right at the launch...That would be a horrible thing..So i was just wondering who was right!!!

LAPORTE

I'm sure Seth V could answer this one he was working on one of the release boat Thursday and Friday

Don L
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Get_the_net

Quote from: LAPORTE on July 11, 2008, 10:12:12 PM
I'm sure Seth V could answer this one he was working on one of the release boat Thursday and Friday

Don L

Do you know what they were using as release boats?  Were they bass boats or the pontoon type that can handle hundreds of fish?

LAPORTE

They were huge pontoon boats with 4 toons on each boat.. I would say they could carry hundreds of fish in them. Also Seth told me they were taking the fish that came out of the deep water back out to deep water and lowering them down deep with a weighted  basket.

Don L
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

djkimmel

LAPORTE is correct. I do not know the exact release sites for each trip.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

PIGSMALLIE

Thanks for the info everyone...It would be a shame if they were just releasing them back into the Detroit river...Being that alot of people are catching there fish in St.Clair ;D

bshaner

Just for point of note as to your original post, PIGSMALLIE... I have read several articles about tagged fish travelling a lot of miles back from release to the area they were caught in fishery and biology driven tests.  It seems unlikely but there is data to back it up. 

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

djkimmel

We've also been bringing a lot of Lake Erie bass up into Lake St Clair over the years too. They have seen some tagged bass move very long distances to places from Erie up into Huron in the past. Some bass in the system move very little while some in the same system move long distances commonly.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.