Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:21:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lake Ovid afternoon with Derek 8-15-2017

Started by djkimmel, September 22, 2017, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

Something a little different... 1st trip to Sleepy Hollow for me this year but we fished it noon to 5pm on Tuesday, August 15th. Even then the majority of our bites were on or near the surface!

Caught this little buck on a 'custom painted' Horny Toad right off the outside edge of a thick weed flat/point! I lost a really good one minutes earlier in the thick stuff when it dove headfirst into thick milfoil. Had it coming good and moved it about 10 feet but it got leverage... and was gone. This one came right off the outside surface edge so all I had to do was to keep is moving away from the thick stuff!

My one exception to topwater in the stuff - was pitching my giant 12 inch black grape Power Worm to the thick outside milfoil edge on a hump when this nice one smoked it! Maybe 11 ft at the edge but this bass hit and ran less than half way down! Couldn't buy another bite there even though this bass seemed to be running from something?!? Kind of thing that keeps you going after it on a warm, bright afternoon!

Switched to a rubber Texas-rigged topwater walking lure - (Yum Money Hound). Had a small keeper knock it way up out of the water but this chunky little keeper got the whole banana! Made a long cast over patchy milfoil and as soon as it hit the water this big-hearted bass pounced on it with the ferocity of a 3-pounder!

Derek caught 1 on a frog and missed a couple more that had the frog, got 1 pitching a Bullet Craw and I had another one bury me in the milfoil when I pitched a rig in thicker than my set up could handle!

It wasn't any kind of lights out day of fishing but for a warm, sunny light breeze afternoon when you don't expect to light them up we had quite a bit of action really, and being mostly topwater - that was more than all right.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.