Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:39:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lake Orion repeat 7-26-17 - different boat

Started by djkimmel, September 04, 2017, 08:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

So I'm breaking the pattern a little this week - going fishing 3 times (actually 4!! If you count the following Sunday!) instead of 1 or my usual 2. Wednesday, July 26, 2017 was day 2 ever at Lake Orion this time with cameraguy and his new (to him) Ranger Boat! Off to a little bit late start because I hit a 'no wake' zone again (need to tape up my snooze button for those days when I get up early multiple times!). Cameraguy was waiting and ready when I got there - long drive from my house!

We got rolling on our 2nd spot! A point I've never fished that cameraguy knows from long ago! Nice weeds and interesting edge. I said there HAD to be bass there, and after I started popping the popper over top I got some awesome action! Popper"s been slow for me this year but worked well on Orion in the morning! This was my first nice chunker largemouth the rolled up on the popper - a new Excalibur G3 something (I forget the new name).

Barely minutes later an even nicer bass swims up behind my popper and does a nice snatch-and-grab attack! This is beginning to be fun!!

Maybe 15 minutes later cameraguy (Mark) gets in on the action with the biggest bass of the day - from deeper weeds in a light rigged 7" Power Worm. Fought really good! I was liking this point!!

cameraguy with the biggest bass of this day of fishing on Lake Orion - caught on a 7 inch Power Worm light Texas-rig from deeper weeds near the weed edge! I didn't do the fish justice as it was close to 4 pounds!

I like cameraguy and everything... But he's a little weird... He likes catching pike!?! He made me take his picture with this little bait snatcher! I always tell him the pike are ALL his!! He actually kept them mostly off me today except for 1 that stole my darn Stevie rig!! %#!#$! pike!! Takes me awhile to retie my drop shot rigs! Not too bad though considering my visit to Lake Orion in June with Derek was a 'pike-fest!?!' cameraguy caught a few more bass from various parts of the point on the worm.

I kept popping for a while longer and got another bass nicer than my 1st 2 on the popper that came up beside the popper and rolled over it from the side - very cool when they do that!! Kind of slo-mo!

Meanwhile the popper bite tapered off for me, so what do I do? Go for the biggun with 10-12 inch worms!! I block out some of my pike attacks so I forgot my first 10-11 inch worm - Junebug with chartreuse/green tail was torn off at the hook when set the hook into a thumper that didn't move! Felt like I'd hooked another log...!?!

A little later this nice chunky Lake Orion largemouth bass ate my 12 inch black blue Culprit worm! No hard bite down in the deeper weeds - it was just on there when I set the hook for the 30th time on something that didn't feel right! Missed what I think was another bite earlier.

After the bite finally slowed on the point, we fished more offshore weeds/edges without much action. We fished some back bay pockets and points looking for any weed clumps still alive.

Cameraguy whacked a couple big rock bass on one point on his worm - he's always going multi-species on me! He caught more pike there - very clear water! He finally got a nice bass off the inside edge near the point after another pike or 2 (and my bite off). I would have taken a few more bass pictures of cameraguy but he either felt they were too small, or just tossed them back before I could reel in my lure and pick up my phone.

We fished some more nice dropping shorelines, around a few docks and another real weedy point but the bite seemed to be switched off for us. So I still have lots of complex Lake Orion to see. I'm sure I'll be back.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

21XDC

It is an awesome night fishing lake too...  :)  I have a friend that lives on an island and I stay and keep my boat over night.  ;)
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

dartag

They are working on the Dam over on M-24 I think they are going to drop the lake 36".  That will be the end of launching out there.

Good report.

21XDC

I think they do that every 5 years or something like that. 
2003 21XDC Bullet
250 Yamaha V-Max
I like fast boats and fishing.. I can do both the same day.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

djkimmel

That might be real interesting to be out there with the lake 3 feet low?!?

I like night-fishing. Just very hard to get a place to do it anymore, and then there's the little issue of staying awake on the drive home... something I have a 'little' trouble with now.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.