Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:05:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Northern Michigan swimbait smackdown

Started by brg_bassmaster, June 30, 2017, 06:57:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brg_bassmaster

Went on leave for 6 days to be in a wedding. Of course had to fish for 4 of those days. It was an epic week of slammer, punker and gantarel fishing. Didn't bring the deps 250s or pizz baits cuz I'll be home again in 2 months and didn't have my swimbait rods. So 7/9" slammers 8" punkers and gantarel were the ticket. Final day we had some monsters attempting to crush our baits but they would blow up and completely miss. So can't blame ourselves. Other than that I believe every fish hooked came.to.the boat. Had some serious bass palm at the end of this trip.

brg_bassmaster

More

brg_bassmaster

More

djkimmel

Looks like you had fun! Must be some big bass - pike/muskie-free lakes you're fishing!?! I'd be too chicken to throw big fancy baits like that around any pike or muskie. I've already lost a bunch of lures this year to the toothy critters...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

brg_bassmaster

Actually there are monster pike in these waters. I used to always lose jigs or conventional baits in here. But since I started throwing nothing but swimbaits I have yet to catch a pike lol kinda weird. Can't wait to get the deps and other glide baits in the water.

Firefighter Jeff

Big dreams

Those are some big baits man!  I have a Spro 8 or 9" multi jointed swimbait that I haven't thrown yet.  I assumed it was too big.  If I went out today with it I don't think I would know how/where to throw that monster.  Thanks for posting the picts.  Very nice

Mojo

Quote from: brg_bassmaster on June 30, 2017, 09:58:42 PM
Actually there are monster pike in these waters. I used to always lose jigs or conventional baits in here. But since I started throwing nothing but swimbaits I have yet to catch a pike lol kinda weird. Can't wait to get the deps and other glide baits in the water.

Ohh don't jinx yourself !!! Great write up, hope to see more you guys !
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

djkimmel

Maybe I'm covering your pike 'quota' ?? ;D

Good luck with that (I would think pike would LOVE those things but maybe I should try them more myself??)!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

brg_bassmaster

haha thanks guys! I started getting interested in these style baits once I saw a guy from rhode island absolutely crushing giant bass on them. His videos were so sick. So once I got the money and made some rank I decided to start throwing them. Really wanted to throw them in Michigan to find the bigger fish the 5+lbrs. My goal every time out is just searching for one giant bite. But so far every time out we hammer the big fish. From my experience comparing my time so far in Arizona a known swimbait state and one of the pioneers of swimbait fishing. I have a lot more bites in Michigan than Arizona. Ya I get 8+lbrs following my glides to my boats in Arizona but they are hard to get bit.  but everyone throws these baits in Arizona. In Michigan these fish have never seen these baits or extremely rare occasion because there are others that do throw these in Michigan. So the goal normally is not numbers its to get that big bite that isn't considered "normal" in yoru state., Even though ik now that there are plenty of bass over 6 and 7lbs. Wake baits are killer in michgian the 7-10 inch wake baits such as the MS slammer or rats such as the NEZ xl get smashed. Nighttime, overcast or sprinkly days are prime times. Glide baits work good and baits such as the gantarel which is a great started bluegill style bait.

djkimmel

I have some slightly similar lures though mostly smaller (other than some actual muskie baits I own but haven't use much). I have had some luck on big soft/hollow swimbaits. I may have to check out these lures you're throwing. I get bored easy and love to experiment!

djkimmel

I still have an aversion to buying lures that cost more than $15 (a lot more I see with some of these!!!) and especially to throwing them around toothy critters! I seem to attract them like I have a pike/muskie divining rod!! ;D

brg_bassmaster

Hahaha well slammers 9" will run u 60$. Punkers aren't bad at about 25-30 for the new ones. The wood ones are over a hundred usually. And for glides yaaaaa deps 250 $150-180 for new style and that is with most of the higher end glide baits lol. Way i see it tho I got about 12 swimbaits various styles that I can catch fish on any time of year. Spend about 1k. I know people with well over that much with conventional gear and their personal best still isn't near just 1 of my swimbait fish. But yes it sucks majority to lose one. I have been very fortunate.

djkimmel

I would probably cry if I lost a $30 lure!?!  As far as lures over $100... I will probably never be owning those. Maybe someone will loan me one some day, but I sure wouldn't expect someone to risk a lure like that by loaning it!

For now, I have a number of large lures that are more in my price range I'll keep experimenting with.