Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:00:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Border Crossing Requirements for 2008

Started by yukonjack2, January 23, 2008, 09:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukonjack2

I was having lunch in Imlay City on monday, and luckily two US Customs and Border Protection Officers were seated right next to me.  Naturally curious as to the current state of requirements, I struck up a conversation and asked them specifically.  Here is what they said:

If your Boat is less than 31 feet long, and you don't touch ground in Canada - including tying up to a moored boat, or anchoring - fishing on bottom does not count, you have free egress across the border. 

If you do Touch ground, you must abide by candian requirements to enter(he was not familiar with).  Upon return, you must call and check in with US customs  (810)985-9541 #235  for Lake St. Clair and the St. Clair river.  He said there is a Detroit # for the Detroit River and Lake EERie, but did not know it off hand.  He explained they usually just give you a two minute phone interview, and let you go, although if an officer is in the area they could dispatch him to check you out.  So leave enough time in a tourney to make sure you make it back on time.

He did say if you have a passport, have it with you - although its not required.  You do need two things - Picture ID (i.e. drivers license), and proof of citizenship(raised seal birth certificate, or voters registration card.

If there are any specific questions, he gave me his contact info:

Tery Ruff
Chief A-TCET
US Department of Homeland Security
US Customs and Border Protection
2321 Pine Grove Avenue
Port Huron, MI 48060
(810)985-9541
terry.ruff@dhs.gov
Jack Cahn

State Farm-Fenton, MI
Doug Mercer 810-714-0370

Bearclaw Taxidermy
Gladwin, MI  989-205-1724

Dantotsu-seeking sustainable competitive advantage through striving to be the best of the best, thereby having an effective lead over others and serving to be the pacesetter.

Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check because I have to pass one to earn it for them

djkimmel

I was glad to see the passport requirements have been delayed until 2009. I had a couple interesting discussions with US Customs and Canadian MNR at the Novi show. It seems to me the messages are getting more consistent thankfully.

I learned a few things that contradict what we've been passing back and forth as a measure of course, but before I post anything else, I plan to follow up with both sides in a direct conversation on the topics to make sure I remember things right, and therefore pass them along accurately here. Gives me a chance to take notes and make sure I hear the same things again.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

VinceR

It appears that there will be a lower cost option (than a passport) for when they DO activate the process, available in the near future. The plan is for the PASS (People, Access Security Service) Card or Passport card to be used as an alternative to the passport for land and water travel, and border crossing. It sounds like they are still trying to develop a format that will satisfy all of the security issues.

The proposal is for a plastic, wallet sized card with embedded electronic information (that can be read with a scanner) identifying the card holder's citizenship information. This will be much more acceptable than carrying your passport when you are fishing. I started carrying my passport last year, just to be on the safe side, but would much rather leave it home in a nice secure and dry place. I will be looking into the PASS Card when they become available.

They were supposed to be ready to start taking applications for it in February, but it appears that there may be a delay. You can go here for more information, and to sign up to receive an e-mail notification when they are ready to start taking applications:
www.uspasscard.com.

MadWags

Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Dan

As always GLB has the best info from the best anglers around. Thanks Vince. I'm on the list.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Dan

I was in the post office today and they said the new passport card paper work was suppose to be in their branch by the first. Just an F.Y.I.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Durand Dan

I went to the link and signed up for e-mail notification when they start to issue them

bshaner

What ticks me off is that your good ole US Military ID card is no longer considered a valid form of ID for travel purposes. 

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

Team houston

For the last couple of years I have kept a laminated copy of my passport in my tackle box. It has all the info and paired with a drivers license I don't expect any problems.

VinceR

Actually, Brian, your Military ID is acceptable if you are traveling under orders. If you're not under orders, it is still acceptable if you also have an official copy of your birth certificate.

As for passport copies, Team H, you may want to verify that it is acceptable. It seems that I read somewhere that copies won't be accepted as proof of citizenship. I tried to find it but, couldn't. For fishing purposes, the Border Patrol would probably be the best source for clarification.

Go here for a list of accepted ID:
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/land_travel/chnge_in_proced.xml

For 2008, it may not be an issue, but it looks like they want to complete implementation by June of 2009. I'll get my PASScard this year to be on the safe side. Last thing I want is some overzealous officer to give me a hard time when I'm bustin' it to get back in time for weigh-in. I already carry my passport (in a ziplock bag inside of a small, floating "drysack". I want to stop that.

The whole issue here is not identification, but to prove citizenship.

Dan

Just don't tie up to Kimmel's Russian sub buddies and you'll be all right.

SethV

Everyone should get a passport anyway.  Not a big deal to get one, and then you don't have to worry about which documents to carry.

It is not hard to get one - even my 1 year old and 4 year old have them.

If you would have trouble and have to take the boat out of the water in Canada (engine trouble, ect) - you would be glad you have the passport.

Seth

bshaner

Unless things have change in the last couple of years, I've had buddies who had to get passports to travel when not on orders.  In fact I had one of my guys get held up in Europe for a couple of days because he had no passport.

Maybe things have loosened up since everyone has forgotten 911 by now?

B
Byrd's Landing
220 Helmer Rd N
Springfield, MI 49015
(269)963-2844

VinceR

Brian, I think they are referring to traveling by land and water (when they state that a Military ID, with birth certificate are acceptable). A passport is still really the only universally accepted form of identification accepted for non-military (international) air travel.

As I stated above, I carried my passport in the boat all year, last year. However, when the PASScard becomes available, I will get one so that I don't have to carry my passport in the boat. I pretty much left it in there because I didn't want to have to rely on my memory every time I fished Erie or St. Clair. The PASScard (which will be "wallet-sized") is meant to eliminate the need to carry a passport when traveling by land or water. To me, it is particularly attractive for the latter. That, plus for those who don't want to spend $100.00 for a passport, the PASScard will be cheaper (supposedly, about half that).

terryruff

Quote from: yukonjack2 on January 23, 2008, 09:46:01 PM
I was having lunch in Imlay City on monday, and luckily two US Customs and Border Protection Officers were seated right next to me.  Naturally curious as to the current state of requirements, I struck up a conversation and asked them specifically.  Here is what they said:

If your Boat is less than 31 feet long, and you don't touch ground in Canada - including tying up to a moored boat, or anchoring - fishing on bottom does not count, you have free egress across the border. 

If you do Touch ground, you must abide by candian requirements to enter(he was not familiar with).  Upon return, you must call and check in with US customs  (810)985-9541 #235  for Lake St. Clair and the St. Clair river.  He said there is a Detroit # for the Detroit River and Lake EERie, but did not know it off hand.  He explained they usually just give you a two minute phone interview, and let you go, although if an officer is in the area they could dispatch him to check you out.  So leave enough time in a tourney to make sure you make it back on time.

He did say if you have a passport, have it with you - although its not required.  You do need two things - Picture ID (i.e. drivers license), and proof of citizenship(raised seal birth certificate, or voters registration card.

If there are any specific questions, he gave me his contact info:

Tery Ruff
Chief A-TCET
US Department of Homeland Security
US Customs and Border Protection
2321 Pine Grove Avenue
Port Huron, MI 48060
(810)985-9541
terry.ruff@dhs.gov

terryruff

A clarification to message from Yukonjack on border crossing requirements for 2008. Any vessel, no matter of length, that lands/docks in Canada must report via phone to Customs & Border Protection (CBP) in US upon return. This includes vessels that tie up to Canadian vessels or US vessels that have docked in Canada. Vessels that just fish in Canadian waters, do not have contact with land or other Canadian vessels, do not have to report  to CBP upon return.

For your information, US and Canada vessels that over 30', that have docked in Canada are required to purchase a CBP user fee decal.The fee is $27.50.

Terry Ruff
CBP/Port Huron

SethV

Terry -

What about refueling in Canada?  If I don't leave my boat or tie up to the dock, do I still have to call in?

I know, splitting hairs, but I don't want to have any trouble.

Seth

Eric

Terry,

I think it is great that you have registered and are posting.  There a ton of questions and misconceptions out there.  You clarifying and being active here is awesome and will make things easier.  Thanks.
www.ReelResponseSolutions.com
www.BassinWithEric.com

MadWags

Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

REEL_MAN

Terry,
Welcome aboard, it's going to be good to have someone that is in direct contact with the requirements!  ;D No more he said, they said.

REEL MAN