Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 01:16:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Kent lake

Started by stackenem, August 14, 2007, 06:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stackenem

Anybody been on Kent lately? Need a fishing report going to spend the day fishing Thursday.
Thanks
Stack
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

McCarter

Jerkbaits were producing well in the morning in 6 feet of water.  We were using perch pattern X raps and LC POinter 100s in Ghost Minnow.  Once the clouds rolled in, the jerkbait bite died down.  But we managed to bag 5 nice smallmouth in about 20 minutes while the bite was hot.  Add a pike to that and a lost smallie and it made for some quick action.

We struggled for a bit after that.  We tried jigs, traps, cranks, and spider grubs.  Didnt find any bass, but i got on a good pike pattern that lasted a few minutes and produced 2 decent sized and one very large pike.  In the end, he broke free at the boat and stole my favorite trap.

About an hour later, after drifting the channel with jerkbaits with no results, i hooked into another jerkbait fish on a mainlake point.  Another smallmouth, very skinny and sickly looking with scrape marks on his head.  Wierd looking fish.  We tried this point with jerkbaits for another 45 minutes with no action.  Moved around a little more without finding anything.  Decided to return to the point where i had caught our last fish and try to figure it out.  I grabbed a prototype bait that ive been working on and rigged it on a 1/4 oz football head and casted out.  I immediatly felt decent sized rocks and not long after had a fish slam my offering.  Set the hook and faught a nice 3 lb fish to the boat.  Next cast to the same area produced the same results, and i put another 3lber in.  And wouldnt you know it, a hatrick on the next cast.  3 casts, 3 fish, 9 lbs.  The next casts almost made it all the way back to the boat, and as i started reeling in i felt a good snap on the other end of the line, but i set the hook and missed.  I reeled in nothing but the football head.  I lost my hot bait and had no more with me.  So i bummed a 5" hula grub off my partner and got back to it.  The hula grub was met with similar, but not identical results.  I got a couple real good slams on it, but the fish werent hagning on.  We both managed to stick a fish on the hula grubs, but we missed many hits.  Funny how they were engulfing that prototype, but just swatting at the hula grub. 

After putting together what exactly happened when i lost that bait, i thought maybe they wanted something a little more aggressive.  That fish never hit til i started cranking my rig back to the boat.  So i switched up to a DT 10 and started cranking.  It was awesome to feel that bait bouncing off all the stuff down there.  As it turns out, the rocks that i initially thought only covered a small area stretched out quite a ways farther and there were stumps scattered throughout.  Unfortunatly i never got bit on the crankbait, but did manage to locate a small cluster of wood that produced our last fish of the day on the hula grub.

It was very cold sunday.  Water temps were 39 in the morning and warmed to 41/42 by 4 pm.  I thought the fish would be a little more aggressive as the day went on but instead they seemed to slow down.  The longer we paused out jerkbaits in the morning the more bites we got.  Which worked out well as it allowed ample time to warm the hands.  Later, all but one hit came deadsticking baits on the bottom.  Hope i can get back out there soon.  It used to be a thanksgiving tradition to fish kent lake in the morning and end up being an hour late to dinner, but after missing out last year, and no mention of a trip this year, i think the tradition is over.

McCarter himself :-\'