Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:06:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

[unOFFICIAL]2014 MadWags Memorial Tournament West Sat Oct 4 Portage Lake Sign-up

Started by YpsiBass, July 30, 2014, 11:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

Sweet!

Sure would like to see some more east siders come to the west side.  Come on over guys, the water's fine!
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

dartag

Quote from: Waterfoul on September 17, 2014, 09:36:34 AM
Sweet!

Sure would like to see some more east siders come to the west side.  Come on over guys, the water's fine!

I can't justify the drive and expense for the event.  I know you drove over here in the spring for St=Clair. Funny in that event I ended up fishing large mouths. 

Maybe some day there will be an event in a central location we all can attend.  Good luck all.

Waterfoul

Quote from: dartag on September 17, 2014, 02:03:43 PM
Quote from: Waterfoul on September 17, 2014, 09:36:34 AM
Sweet!

I can't justify the drive and expense for the event.  I know you drove over here in the spring for St=Clair. Funny in that event I ended up fishing large mouths. 

Maybe some day there will be an event in a central location we all can attend.  Good luck all.

Yup, it's a trip for you guys for sure!  Heck... there's a pretty nice little motel just down from the boat ramp that we stayed in last year for our Case of the Monday's classic... come on over and make a weekend of it.  There's lots of other lakes to fish within 20 minutes of Portage also.  Some of the best smallmouth fishing in Michigan.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

cameraguy

I talked to Dan yesterday. He said that he wants to and is likely to go. I would like to go, as well. I may have to work that day though.

YpsiBass

Pretty sure there will be senior citizen parking available if that's your concern.

Cy

I think I am going to make it and fish with TheDude!

Thanks for all hard work Rick!

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

dartag

Quote from: YpsiBass on September 22, 2014, 02:53:44 PM

Pretty sure there will be senior citizen parking available if that's your concern.

I got a senior sticker for Kent.   After driving to Hubbard last week I don't even want to driver the 200 yards to my boat launch.  To bad you are not there this weekend.  The weather looks great.

Dan

I don't know if I can attend yet, even though it's just 30 minutes from the cabin. In the midst of a major remodel and the cabin is one big pile of furniture et al right now.  If I can't attend and there is a boater in need of some info, I am PMable and could give you some likely spots to try. You may want to pick up a flash mob and a spinnerbait. Remember that Portage is a drowned river mouth so you have to finagle your rig to be law abiding with your drop shot.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

YpsiBass

Borrowed DK's formatting for the spring event and modified for the west event. Not sure which launch to use.  Input appreciated as this thing gets closer.

thedude

portage ramp is on the NE corner of the lake in portage lake park. Nice facility with pavilion, good ramps and rest-rooms. No fee.

http://binged.it/1rne45a
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

YpsiBass

Waterfoul

Quote from: YpsiBass on September 24, 2014, 12:00:34 PM
http://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/MRBIS/BASDetail.aspx?basid=A-51-006

DNR says the portage lake ramp is on the west side...

There is a DNR ramp on the west bay but it is not as convenient (or as nice) as the city ramp.  It's also in pretty shallow water.  Trust me we want to use the city ramp.  You can't miss it... go thru town (most of the way) and it will be on your left.  If you go around the bend/curve with the motel on the right you went too far.

As for it being a drowned river mouth... not sure how it ever got that designation since the only thing that runs into Portage Lake (other than Lake Michigan when there is a west wind) is a tiny little creek.  Portage Lake was actually made by man... it wasn't attached to Lake Michigan by anything other than that little creek until a developer/lumberman back in the late 1800's decided to make his own channel to the big lake so he could float logs out.  The lake dropped about 10 feet if memory serves and is now as you see it.  And besides, drop shotting is not the best way to catch fish there anyway!!   ;D

thedude

From the DNR Fishing Guide (Page 22, note 3):
Drowned River Mouth Lakes: On the following
inland waters trout and salmon regulations
are as follows: 5 total trout and salmon in
any combination; no more than 3 of any one
species, except up to 5 coho or Chinook salmon;
minimum size limit is 10"; fishing season is open
all year and the possession season forlake trout
is Jan. 1 – Oct 31; except that the possession
season for lake trout shall be Jan. 1 – Sep. 30
on Betsie L. For all other species of trout and
salmon, the possession season is open all year.
Allegan: Kalamazoo and Silver Lks. Benzie:
Betsie L. Manistee: Arcadia, Manistee, and
Portage Lks. Mason: Pere Marquette L.
Muskegon: Duck, Mona, Muskegon, and
White Lks. Oceana: Pentwater, Silver, and
Stony Lks. Ottawa: Macatawa and Pigeon Lks.

While i agree its not a drowned river mouth, the DNR says that it is.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

FOB

Is there still room for a boater?  Have just cleared it on my schedule, and would like to attend.
Ralph Blasey
Wonderland Marine West  734-417-5550

Waterfoul

Quote from: thedude on September 25, 2014, 08:57:14 AM
From the DNR Fishing Guide (Page 22, note 3):
Drowned River Mouth Lakes: On the following
inland waters trout and salmon regulations
are as follows: 5 total trout and salmon in
any combination; no more than 3 of any one
species, except up to 5 coho or Chinook salmon;
minimum size limit is 10"; fishing season is open
all year and the possession season forlake trout
is Jan. 1 – Oct 31; except that the possession
season for lake trout shall be Jan. 1 – Sep. 30
on Betsie L. For all other species of trout and
salmon, the possession season is open all year.
Allegan: Kalamazoo and Silver Lks. Benzie:
Betsie L. Manistee: Arcadia, Manistee, and
Portage Lks. Mason: Pere Marquette L.
Muskegon: Duck, Mona, Muskegon, and
White Lks. Oceana: Pentwater, Silver, and
Stony Lks. Ottawa: Macatawa and Pigeon Lks.

While i agree its not a drowned river mouth, the DNR says that it is.

Exactly.  But... who needs to drop shot there anyway!   8)

Waterfoul

Quote from: FOB on September 25, 2014, 11:07:04 AM
Is there still room for a boater?  Have just cleared it on my schedule, and would like to attend.

Come on up Ralph!

YpsiBass

A little over a week away so trying to check back daily to update the front page post.  Finally get to meet Ralph. Cool.

Mike S.

Waterfoul

Quote from: Mike S. on September 26, 2014, 10:29:43 AM
Ralph is coming to take your $7.

Well my partner still isn't feeling up to going, still very sore and tender from the surgery and is worried that if it's at all rough he won't be albe to take it.  Don't blame him at all.  So now I need a back seater.   Anyone interested?

YpsiBass

Quote from: Waterfoul on September 26, 2014, 12:01:21 PM
Quote from: Mike S. on September 26, 2014, 10:29:43 AM
Ralph is coming to take your $7.

Well my partner still isn't feeling up to going, still very sore and tender from the surgery and is worried that if it's at all rough he won't be albe to take it.  Don't blame him at all.  So now I need a back seater.   Anyone interested?

Me.