Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 11:33:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

[unOFFICIAL]2014 MadWags Memorial Tournament West Sat Oct 4 Portage Lake Sign-up

Started by YpsiBass, July 30, 2014, 11:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

My theory is that since I told cameraguy we shouldn't go due to the weather and my need to stay here for the family, you will have 56F and partly sunny from 7:30am until 3pm or so now. I am already hearing about it!

Meanwhile, the family issue has gone... well, it's not easy having a big family sometimes. I'm going to wish I left town but I need to be here to get this stuff worked out. Have fun, I hope.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

YpsiBass

dartag

Welllll how was it.   It was downright nasty here in S/E Michigan.

YpsiBass

We changed lakes in the morning because there were 30ish mph winds and whitecaps at Portage. We waited until 7:45, but with no sign of spinninbug, we moved on to Manistee Lake.

Waterfowl and friend finished with 15.3 pounds and a five fish smallie limit (and the tournament winner takes all prize of $60). FOB caught all our smallies, but I helped with the net and youthful exuberance and we finished with 9 pounds and change. Mike S. and McFish finished with three smallies and 6 something pounds. The other guys have pictures. We saw the sun for almost 3 whole minutes. The rest of the day alternated between clouds, rain, wind and rain, sleet, and wind with excessive sleet. I still had fun seeing the west side guys and it was nice to finally meet Ralph.

In hindsight, I'm guessing that bob o voted 10x for October 4th due to the inclement weather we had...

Mcfish

I had a great time. It was good to meet Ypsi and FOB. 

Mike and I laughed all day, caught some fish and I got to put a couple of pieces of the smallmouth puzzle together.  If I could have had a better hook/land ratio we may have given Waterfoul and Jeff a run for the money.

Congratulations to Waterfoul and Jeff for a real nice bag considering the conditions.

And maybe it's the Norwegian in me, but I love telling Mother Nature to stick it and fish regardless of weather.  Life's too short to wait for a better day. 

FOB

Had a blast!  Got to Portage Launch and lake had a small 1/2 ft chop.  Guys did not want to go out in it. ( just kidding, first pic. is from launch looking down lake were it was calmer).  So made the change.  Was like fishing " a day on the lake" segment.  Never been to Manistee Lake before.  Thanks Waterfowl for the heads up on the duck hunters ( though that point looked awful good ).  Was fun fishing with YpsiBass ( from my home town ).  He caught big fish of the day.  And yes, that is sleet on my seats!  
Anyway, thanks to all.  Hopefully I can make next years as well and meet more GLB members.
Ralph Blasey
Wonderland Marine West  734-417-5550

FOB

Other 2 pics.
Ralph Blasey

Mike S.

I didn't get to take a pic of the sleet. We ran into the wall at 60, while attempting to get up to full throttle. It stung just a little bit. Ok, it downright hurt. All in all, a fun day. Weather doesn't stop us....well, some of us anyways.

Waterfoul

I almost felt bad asking if Ralph and Ypsibass Rick wanted fish a lake they had never been to but like others said, Portage was downright nasty and would have been nearly impossible to fish effectively (or with any degree of fun, and that's what this was all about).  So we moved to Manistee where we figured the wind would be much more tolerable due to it's north/south configuration and the big hills and town on it's west side.  We also decided to throw $10 each in the pot and do a winner take all event.

We were right for most of the day.  It did get windy a couple of times but never got unbearable.  It did rain and sleet often but it never got unbearable.  Jeff and I caught our first two keepers on a double on our first spot... great way to start the day!  It was pretty much a grind the rest of the day.  We managed to catch about 15 keepers, lots of shorts, and lost a couple decent ones as well.  The pike were fairly active too... caught one and got bit off at least a half dozen times.  Jeff caught our best fish that went 3-12.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

FOB

If you guys could post the other two pics of fish that would be great, as I did not get any.
Ralph Blasey

Waterfoul

Quote from: FOB on October 06, 2014, 12:37:33 PM
If you guys could post the other two pics of fish that would be great, as I did not get any.

I didn't get any of yours or Mike's on my phone.  I think Mcfish and Mike S did though.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

I have them,  and will try to remember to post them this afternoon.

YpsiBass