Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 05:42:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Going to finally learn DS

Started by Big dreams, July 09, 2013, 09:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSURoss

I'm from Lansing area and have fished nbaa and river rats. I'll join MSU's club too. Just wish Lansing fishing was better lol.

djkimmel

Quote from: MSURoss on July 16, 2013, 11:21:52 AM
I'm from Lansing area and have fished nbaa and river rats. I'll join MSU's club too. Just wish Lansing fishing was better lol.

There are some opportunities around Lansing. At times the fishing can be pretty good.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MSURoss

Dan have you ever fished muskrat?

MSURoss

Maybe you could teach me how to fish the grand  ;D

gmetime24

I've had a couple good days on lake lansing catching largemouth

djkimmel

Quote from: MSURoss on July 18, 2013, 02:02:12 PM

Once a long time ago. The 'boat ramp' is only a canoe/kayak launch lately. The water might be up a little this year but it would have to go up a long, long ways for me to get my boat in there again. I'd need 4-wheel drive too.

The main lake basin is not real productive from what I saw. The 'secret' spot was always a hidden bayou that some guys would run to on plane through a narrow cattail channel. Even when I got my boat on through the little ramp, there was no way I was trying to run that channel and risk getting stuck. Or running over some canoe/kayaker around a bend in the cattails/weeds?!?

From the water level last year, I'm not sure if you can get anything through that channel unless the water is up now. I might give it a try again someday if I get a small boat but it isn't an all day kind of lake.

If the latest satellite views are recent, it looks like the water is up and you could maybe launch a small boat there and even possibly get to the 'secret' bayou. Don't know if it is worth it now? One of these days I'll take a day trip out there to see how it looks but my boat isn't going in there.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

Quote from: MSURoss on July 18, 2013, 02:05:18 PM
Maybe you could teach me how to fish the grand  ;D

The river is easy to fish. All rivers are easier to fish, I think. First, I have to get my truck fixed - two things broke now (battery completely dead, won't take a charge - I must have something causing a drain). Then go get my boat. Maybe, next week I can take a look at my truck? Not my area of expertise...

If you remind me enough, maybe we can get on the river one of these days. It's not St. Clair awesome, but I enjoy fishing rivers.

I'm no different than anyone - I don't like to give away my 'secret' spots but Round Lake is a pretty good lake. Pay ramp at the party store and they rent boats too from dawn til dusk. I didn't get out there last year but it was pretty good the year before and real good the year before that.

Park Lake has a public ramp. Fun to fish once in a while though the fishing was off a little last time I went there - lots of small bass. I've caught good bass and pike there a few times.

djkimmel

Quote from: gmetime24 on July 18, 2013, 03:49:46 PM
I've had a couple good days on lake lansing catching largemouth

Lake Lansing is a busy, busy lake in the summer, especially on the weekends. I like it in the spring and fall once in a while. I have got out there during the week on quieter days and there are nice bass, lots of pike and some catfish in the lake. Some local anglers did their own private smallmouth stocking - something I ask people not to do - so once in a while you catch a long, skinny smallmouth out there too.

YpsiBass

Quote from: djkimmel on July 20, 2013, 01:12:51 PM
Round Lake is a pretty good lake. Pay ramp at the party store and they rent boats too from dawn til dusk.

I used to do that just after college.  Good times (except having to row everywhere). 

VinceR

Lately, the Grand River (Lansing) is fishing even better than recent years. This year I'm seeing more vegetation than I've ever seen. There is almost a (visible) continuous weedline all the way through the river. I'm seeing weed growth in areas that I've never seen weeds in the past. Needless to say, fishing the weed edges will pay off. I should mention that the fish I've caught from these areas are fat and very healthy, with 15"-16" fish weighing in the 2 lb. range.

Dan, the Lake Lansing smallmouth have actually taken very well. There have been several spawning classes over the past several years, with very healthy smallies being weighed in almost every tournament. Last week I caught one on the very first cast (about 2 lbs.) but lost it at the boat. I ended up catching another later in the evening that weighed in at just under 3 lbs. It was NOT skinny at all. I've seen smallies in the 4 - 5 lb. range weighed in.

Not justifying the practice, just saying that it seems to have worked in this case.

MSURoss

Ovid can be one of my favorite lakes...or most hated lakes lol. Feast or famine for me there. Still got to figure it out better. First place today had two 5lb hogs!! Not many limits caught but lots of hogs.

MSURoss

Quote from: djkimmel on July 20, 2013, 01:08:13 PM
Quote from: MSURoss on July 18, 2013, 02:02:12 PM

Once a long time ago. The 'boat ramp' is only a canoe/kayak launch lately. The water might be up a little this year but it would have to go up a long, long ways for me to get my boat in there again. I'd need 4-wheel drive too.

The main lake basin is not real productive from what I saw. The 'secret' spot was always a hidden bayou that some guys would run to on plane through a narrow cattail channel. Even when I got my boat on through the little ramp, there was no way I was trying to run that channel and risk getting stuck. Or running over some canoe/kayaker around a bend in the cattails/weeds?!?

From the water level last year, I'm not sure if you can get anything through that channel unless the water is up now. I might give it a try again someday if I get a small boat but it isn't an all day kind of lake.

If the latest satellite views are recent, it looks like the water is up and you could maybe launch a small boat there and even possibly get to the 'secret' bayou. Don't know if it is worth it now? One of these days I'll take a day trip out there to see how it looks but my boat isn't going in there.

I believe they just rebuilt the ramp...

YpsiBass

We're not hijacking the drop shot thread here, are we?

How goes the drop shotting?

Big dreams

Quote from: YpsiBass on July 22, 2013, 01:54:03 PM
We're not hijacking the drop shot thread here, are we?

How goes the drop shotting?

No worries there.  I haven't been back out.  Was thinking about going to Smallwood on Wednesday...have to discuss it witht he wife first.