Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:12:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Going to finally learn DS

Started by Big dreams, July 09, 2013, 09:09:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dartag

St Clair sound like to much work for me.  Good fishing but weather dependant.  Does not have to be Kent but an inland lake to me is easier.  Cass is great later this year.  Could do it on white lake in highland and meet at the White lake Inn at lunch. 

Maybe fish 3 hours come in and weigh what ya got.  Have lunch ( every one brings there own )  then back out for 3 hours to do it again.  4.00 entry fee with 1 dollar for most weight and 1 for big bass for each session.   

Just thinkin

Vince is right DS on st-clair is the worst.  May is also a bad month.  I think in the DK open we only got 99% of our fish on DS.  Hardly worth it.

Manxfishing

I'm with dartag
while LSC is a blast

Planning weeks ahead you don't know about the weather
were on a inland lake the weather won't stop a thing

I've done well on Cass, Kent or White DS'ing
All good lakes.

gmetime24

I never thought I would learn how to drop shot, but after spending a day on the water with dartag, he has got me hooked!! Great way to catch big ones, especially on pressured water

This DS event only sounds like a fun time, I'd like to see this happen

Waterfoul

I'd love to do a dropshot only event... but $5 entry would not even be worth putting the boat in the water, even for fun.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

LAPORTE

Alright back to the orginal post..... How did you do ... Pictures ?
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Big dreams

Quote from: LAPORTE on July 12, 2013, 11:17:19 AM
Alright back to the orginal post..... How did you do ... Pictures ?
I am at the restraunt now with the wife.  Going to eat and head back out.  So far...  2 hours into this and I have one 3 lber and two dinks.  I just caught the 3 lber on my last cast.  Going to try another area to see how it works in a different scenario.  I will post pics when I get home :)

YpsiBass

QuoteI am at the restraunt now with the wife.  Going to eat and head back out.  So far...  2 hours into this and I have one 3 lber and two dinks.  I just caught the 3 lber on my last cast.  Going to try another area to see how it works in a different scenario.  I will post pics when I get home :)

Which baits are you using?

bob o

ummm why not go back to where you just caught the 3lber?

Waterfoul

There are times when my partner thinks I'm shaking the rod tip too much... then I catch a 4+ pounder and he just agrees with me.   ;D  There are other times when the wind/wave action moves the bait enough that I don't have to.   Only the fish can tell you which is better in each situation.

Laport, find sharp weed edges associated with drop offs and fish it right up against or even a little into the weeds.  Deep docks (and even shallow docks) can also be a great place.  I love deep dock pilings!!!  By deep I mean 3' or more.

As for baits... I like Zoom trick worms, Nemesis gobies (even where there are no smallies), the KVD Dream Shot (got a 4.84 kicker in a tourney last night on it), and Poor Boys darters.  That's pretty much all I throw on the DS.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Big dreams

Quote from: YpsiBass on July 12, 2013, 01:16:00 PM
QuoteI am at the restraunt now with the wife.  Going to eat and head back out.  So far...  2 hours into this and I have one 3 lber and two dinks.  I just caught the 3 lber on my last cast.  Going to try another area to see how it works in a different scenario.  I will post pics when I get home :)

Which baits are you using?

Not sure what they are.  Don hooked me up with a few extras he had.  They are pretty good whatever they are.

Big dreams

Here are a few pics.  Not sure if they would have bitten on other soft plastics but the hook up ration can't be beat.  It was almost too easy.

gmetime24

Nice ones man!! Who makes the DS plastics you used?

Big dreams

I used a few things today.  I tried Yum Wooly Bugs which produced the biggest fish of the day.  I tried some Net Bait craws and got a couple.  I found that the most important thing for me to be a successful drop shotter is boat positioning.  With the slight wind and waves on Wixom today, I had a hard time keeping the boat lined up and from drifting.  Once I was able to get the boat under control, the rest was easy peasy.  I can finally respect what a power pole can do for you now.  Still not worth the 1500 to me but I get the idea.

gmetime24

If you get a chance check out poor boy baits, the Erie darter. They are excellent around our lakes especially in the mango magic colors. Also case plastics make an awesome drop shot worm

Waterfoul

Quote from: Big dreams on July 12, 2013, 07:51:07 PM
I used a few things today.  I tried Yum Wooly Bugs which produced the biggest fish of the day.  I tried some Net Bait craws and got a couple.  I found that the most important thing for me to be a successful drop shotter is boat positioning.  With the slight wind and waves on Wixom today, I had a hard time keeping the boat lined up and from drifting.  Once I was able to get the boat under control, the rest was easy peasy.  I can finally respect what a power pole can do for you now.  Still not worth the 1500 to me but I get the idea.

You can get a powerpole for a lot less than $1500.  A lot less.

MSURoss

I've seen $1,100 on ebay....anyone find a better price?

YpsiBass

CMURoss is now MSURoss?  You got upgraded!

Waterfoul

Quote from: MSURoss on July 15, 2013, 07:47:44 PM
I've seen $1,100 on ebay....anyone find a better price?

That's what I was refering to.

MSURoss

Quote from: YpsiBass on July 16, 2013, 08:38:50 AM
CMURoss is now MSURoss?  You got upgraded!

I guess so lol. I ran track at CMU and things weren't working out with the coach unfortunately, so i decided to leave (along with 4 others). MSU was happy to pick me up. Bummer leaving the CMU bass club as president, but track helps pay for school.

YpsiBass

I'm sure Dan could find you a new club...