Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:28:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Dick's sporting goods

Started by Lightningboy, December 19, 2012, 12:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lightningboy

After their knee jerk reaction to the recent school shooting, I will not be spending any money at Dick's.  >:(

Also, If you're like minded, are you an NRA member?

"Those who give up liberty in the name of safety lose both" 
-Ben Franklin-

LAPORTE

2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Waterfoul

Knee jerk?  I disagree.  They did what any responsible retailer in the area should have done.  It was all about respect for the community and those who were affected so badly.  I resepect them more for their decision.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Team houston

Waterfoul

Quote from: Team houston on December 19, 2012, 02:46:05 PM
I thought it was nationwide?

The local store pulled all it's guns before the end of the day Friday.  As for nation wide... it's a business decision, plain and simple.

I'm not a gun guy, but I'm not against gun ownership.  But I fail to see the need for an AR type weapon unless you are in the military, professional security, or a law enforcement officer.  You can hunt varmits with just about any rifle.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

oldjigger

Amen to that no one needs an assault rifle that holds 30+ rounds of ammunition
most places you are limited to 5 rounds and in ducks it used to be 3

Manxfishing

Well
As someone who owns a few "assult weapons" I can't say they aren't part of the problem
There convenent for these idiots at this time.

But there's a few other bigger issues that they need to resolve
We a has a nation have no place for the mentally ill these days. the mentally ill are medicated
and then thrown back into society.

So even if you ban AR type weapons, 30 round clips or what ever
We still have posion, bombs, gas, cars, trucks, buses and airplanes

We are still going to have these mentally ill people out there
My thought is. It's just the beginning
30 years ago they were locked up some place safe

stackenem

If you take say a AK 47 and lay it on the table with nobody touching it and say shoot me will it do it? No it won't, guns aren't the problem people are.  AS the old saying goes (when guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns) just my thoughts. I will be getting my CPL again this year and yes I will be carrying. There are getting to be to many loose cannons out there to take any chances now days. I watch the news every night when I get home and every night there is at least 2 shootings within 50 miles of where I live. That is getting to close for comfort for me.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

6 lb Smallmouth

Quote from: Waterfoul on December 19, 2012, 03:23:25 PM

I'm not a gun guy, but I'm not against gun ownership.  But I fail to see the need for an AR type weapon unless you are in the military, professional security, or a law enforcement officer.  You can hunt varmits with just about any rifle.

This

I'm not a gun owner but my family is a group of hunters so I am about as sympathetic a non-gun owner as you'll find.  And I can't find any reason why anyone NEEDS to own an assault rifle.  I agree that we have a mental health issue but why allow someone who's sick to easily acquire one of the most effective tools in order to carry out their violence?  I'm all for having shotguns, rifles, muzzle loaders and pistols for protection but no one needs to be in possession of a small arsenal. 
Formerly known as JerkBate

Nothing beats Great Lakes Smallmouth!

Lightningboy

A few further thoughts on the subject; not trying to pick a fight, just voice my opinions since the media certainly won't represent my side.

A true "assault weapon" is a full automatic.  A machine gun.  The guns in question are "military style" weapons.  They do nothing more than the standard Rem 742 semi auto deer rifle.  You pull the trigger, it fires and reloads.  They simply look like a military weapon.  But the media won't educate the public; they present an image of an AR-15 being deadlier than poison.

Dicks did nothing wrong.  They legally sold firearms.  I bet since Dicks made this move, they were probably the store that sold the guns to the Mom.  Their move is a social statement against the legal ownership of firearms.  Suspend advertising for a while?  Sure.  Same reason I cleaned out my Dad's car when my Mom died; I didn't want him to run into anything that would remind him for a while.  But Dicks made a public statement with the move.

The anti gun crowd is a group of media leaches.  The moment the tragedy occurred, the screaming started.  At least the NRA waited several days for mourning before they made a statement.  Our founding fathers designed the system of government to be a slow, grinding process, to prevent rash decisions. 

The purpose of the anti gun groups is to pick a fringe group that is not that large, and eliminate their rights.  After military semi autos, next will be semi auto hunting rifles and shotguns.  Then high power "sniper rifles", like my 7 mag bolt action deer rifle.  You do remember the tower in Texas, right?  Or JFK?

I don't own any weapons like those in question.  But I believe in guarding the rights of those who do, as I would expect them to defend mine.

This tragedy happened because a disturbed child was not watched and controlled.  We have a poor record of identifying and treating mental illness.  Anyone who could even consider such an act is not sane.  My heart bleeds for those who lost such innocent loved ones. 

This is a problem with an unidentified and disturbed young man, not guns.  And I will not spend money at a retailer that fuels this fire on my rights.  The longer we ignore the problem with our society's  views  on the sanctity of life, the more will die.

Manxfishing

Well,
As the owner of more than a small arsenal
the most effective guns would be the shotgun and pistols at close range.

The "AR style" is nothing more than a semi-auto .223

Quote from: JerkBate on December 19, 2012, 07:39:49 PM
Quote from: Waterfoul on December 19, 2012, 03:23:25 PM

This

I'm not a gun owner but my family is a group of hunters so I am about as sympathetic a non-gun owner as you'll find.  And I can't find any reason why anyone NEEDS to own an assault rifle.  I agree that we have a mental health issue but why allow someone who's sick to easily acquire one of the most effective tools in order to carry out their violence?  I'm all for having shotguns, rifles, muzzle loaders and pistols for protection but no one needs to be in possession of a small arsenal. 

markgoetsch

I'm a gun owner but no "assult rifles".  The problem is once you ban one kind of gun it leaves wiggle room and then all guns are banned and only people who obey the law won't have them.  It's just like fishing when ignorant people want to ban fishing.  All fisherman have to stick together (walleye, muskie, perch, bass, ect.) if they can stop one kind of fishing they'll stop it all.

Lightningboy

As did hunters when the antis brought proposal D to the ballot to attempt to ban bear hunting by banning the techniques that worked for bear hunting in MI. 

They chose bear hunting since not that many do it.  But sportsman and the DNR worked together to defend and protect hunters rights in this state.

Forgive me for quoting Franklin again (a hero of mine).  When he signed the Declaration of Independance, he said "we must all hang together, or surely we shall all hang separately".

Manxfishing

Mark,

I'm not worried about the Ban on Assult rifles
More or less it's just going to drive the prices of the guns up

And If the goverment is going to ban all guns, there's the 2nd amendment they need to get rid of as well.

Plus the the government cannot confiscate legally acquired property from law-abiding citizens without paying for it. Look up "government takings". Seizing the nation's privately-owned firearms is a probably a $50 billion+ expense.

Precedent? In 1933, the Feeral government criminalized the possession of gold coins, gold bullion and gold certificates. Even though it was illegal to possess these things, gold owners received payment for the gold they surrendered. Worth note, when the buy-back period was over, the government raised the declared price of gold by 50%.

The bigger issue would be
There's a problem with the way we handle the mentally ill  in this country (or don't handle)
So even if there's no more Assult rifles, shotguns or pistols
If your mentally ill and what to kill as many people as you can. There's still plenty of options out there,

markgoetsch

Manx

I am worried about it!  The more rules the on gun control the closer they get to finding some loop hole to get rid of all of them.

mikesmiph

I keep telling myself not to get involved in this conversation, but I dont always listen to myself. Tragedies like what recently happened in Conn. are horrible. And, they make the news. If the mother would have had her guns properly locked up and had secured the ammo for them, her sick son would have never gotten his hands on them. Then he would have had to find a different way to show his madness.
If you would look at the statistics of all shootings across the nation, you would find out that a vast majority of them are commited using guns that were illegally bought. If you ban legally bought guns, the bad guys will still buy guns, because they dont buy them legally in the first place. The people who sell guns to criminals will not stop selling them just because our government tells them to stop. The only guns that laws can get off the street are the ones that people like myself bought from a licensed dealer, registered, and own legally. This will absolutely NOT stop shootings. It WILL stop me from defending myself. I'm done ranting.

Manxfishing

I agree with you

But the way I see it is
I myself can and will take care of myself with or without the guns
I don't live in fear

It's the other new victims I'll feel sorry for

Quote from: markgoetsch on December 19, 2012, 10:04:07 PM
Manx

I am worried about it!  The more rules the on gun control the closer they get to finding some loop hole to get rid of all of them.

motocross269

Dick's is a private company and it is their business to run how they see fit...If they feel a moral obligation to not sell a certain type of rifle or weapon that is their business...It won't stop me from shopping there...(I would never buy a weapon from a big box retailer anyway)

Manxfishing

I hear you there

Keep the small gun shops in buss

bigmojet

Dicks made a business decision and I am making a decision  not to give them my business. (None within a 2 hr drive from me anyway so they aint losing anything)

+1 on supporting small gun shops.