Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:07:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

My predictions for tomorrow:

Started by Waterfoul, October 07, 2012, 09:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

Heading up to either Manistee, Pentwater, or Pere Marquette Lakes (or maybe all of them??) tomorrow with my good friend Fastrack and his dad for some smallie action.  My predictions are that we catch 8 fish over 4 lbs with 2 of those being 5+ and one 6+.  Total fish will be in the 50 range.

Pictures to follow!

Anyone else going to be up that way??
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

That's a pretty tall order there. Good luck. Can't wait to see results. Must be nice going out to play while some people are working.

robhj

I was hoping to get out this past wknd but house chores kept me from going. I'll be heading up that way this Thursday. Hopefully I can have a day half as good as your prediction!

Mike S.

I sure hope your day worked out. I tried Muskegon after work today, and it was not fun. Heck, the lake is just about dried up. REALLY big waves today.

Waterfoul

Well, our day was cut a bit short because one of our party had to be back to GR at 5:00.  Fished Manistee till around 12:30.  We managed only 19 fish.  We did get 3 fish over 6 lbs. though.  A 10 sheephead, a 6 lb 1 oz walleye (??), and a dogfish that didn't fit in Marc's net that HAD to go at least 13-14 lbs.  Biggest dogfish I've ever touched (I tried to get it in the boat for a photo but it got off on my second attempt).  I landed a 10 pounder once and this was way quite a bit bigger.  Our biggest smallmouth might have gone about 3 lbs. or so.

We tried Pere Marquette for about an hour on the way home with no luck at all.

The wind was the biggest factor today.  We could not fish a straight line to save our lives, not to mention that the 8' bow in our lines made it nearly impossible to feel a bite. 

Better luck next time.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

Amen brother!  The wind......  The weather app on my phone said 15 to 25 mph winds. It was every bit of that, from the south, southwest. It sure seemed to be more west than anything. Bet I drove through every bit of 4 footers today, no joke. 

thedude

the mi state record bowfin is like 14lbs. just saying. we had this discussion at the dk open - figured this is a record thats been beat a hundred times but no one knew it was only 14lbs.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

Quote from: thedude on October 08, 2012, 09:28:38 PM
the mi state record bowfin is like 14lbs. just saying. we had this discussion at the dk open - figured this is a record thats been beat a hundred times but no one knew it was only 14lbs.

I know!  That's one reason I tried to hand land it... it litterally did not fit in Marc's little rubber bag "play" net.  I kept saying that the record is only 14 or 16 lbs and this one would challenge it for sure.  I hate that net.  This was a BIG fish.

djkimmel

BIG doggies over on that side of the state. If I ever decide to go for the record, I would probably fish Muskegon. Plenty over 10 pounds in there! I do have a lake full of big doggies up North but they seem to top out so far at about 10 pounds. Lots of them. Just not much bigger. I've seen orca dogfish on your west side! I even had a few come after my trolling motor prop a few times like a St. Clair muskie will!!

I did catch a whopper in Kent Lake though a few years ago. Maybe there's some whoppers in there too?

If any of you catch the state record dogfish, make sure you call me. And get good pictures!! :D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BIGSHOW

Ive never caught a dogfish. Ive seen them while bass fishing. Either swimming by or breaking the surface. What are they going after when you get em? I thought people use live bait to get em. Just not that familiar with them

LennyB

They are predators just like bass and you can catch them using bass techniques, spinnerbaits, jigs, swimbaits, and anything else that looks like a meal. The times I have caught them have bee in the shallow muck and weed areas of lakes that are traditional largemouth lakes.

Dan

Yes they will eat all of the traditional bass baits and when you first hook them they kind of look like you have on a record smallmouth on. My first dogfish I caught many years ago I lipped. You don't want to do that! I have caught some huge dogfish. Probably my biggest was on Manistee.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Waterfoul

I had what I'm sure was a state record dogfish on at Morrison Lake about 10 years ago.  It hit a beaver in some brush right up near shore just like a bass would.  It broke a 4/0 heavy wire gamagatsu hook right at the boat.

Martin (my RDT partner) lost one on Muskegon this summer during a tournament that I also know would have challenged the record.  It was every bit as big as the one Marc and I lost yesterday.

They are not a fun fish to have IN the boat.  They thrash about and can actually throw gear OUT of the boat.  I wrecked a net getting one in the boat once too. 

thedude

you just need some dogfish pliers.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

Quote from: thedude on October 09, 2012, 11:19:16 AM
you just need some dogfish pliers.

You still have those in your boat?  LOL!!

BIGSHOW

Maybe a dumb question, do they have teeth?

Dan

I would describe them as having a hard bony mouth. When I lipped mine it tore the skin all the way down my thumb, but I don't recall them having teeth like pike. They are more of a small serrated type tooth along the bone, but they can hang on if you put your fingers in their mouth.
"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Waterfoul

Teeth?  As Dan said, not like a pike or walleye but they are more than what a bass would have.  But it's not so much the teeth that get you it's the fact that they can bite down on your fingers VERY hard and not let go, then thrash and twist till you wish you'd never put a finger in their mouth.  They are voracious eaters with a temper!  They slam a bait like no other fish and usually destroy whatever you were throwing.  I've seen them destroy spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and break EWG hooks.

Mike S.

Very vicious fish. Can't say it would hurt my feelings if they were all gone. There is a forum specifically for the bowfin. Apparently there are a number of people who consider them a sport fish, and think they are the greatest fish in the water. I am guilty of reading some posts, and they don't like us bass fishermen very much. But, to each their own.

I admit, I have gone fishing for them specifically a time or two. We used to bobber fish them in Pottawotomie bayou. Got some pigs. Really don't like them when I have a Lucky Craft hanging out of their mouths.

BIGSHOW

First time I saw one was in Hamlin lake. It just kept circling my boat and looking at me about 6" under the water. Felt like I was being stalked. I just remember thinking what a weird looking fish, the way his fins were swaying in the water.