Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:25:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

8.39 pounder on Muskegon Lake! 8/24

Started by Mike S., August 25, 2012, 08:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

Now that I have your attention, I will tell the story.

Stackenem contacted me a few weeks back, and told me he would be in town for a few days. So, we set up a day, and hit Muskegon Lake.

We started out in "the spot". I was hoping he could get a good start with some smallies. I got two smallies and a parties or two. He caught a couple. No size. So, we left. 

I ran to another spot. Nothing. Couldn't believe it. The lake was a little rough, and I was trying to keep us in easy fishing waters, but quickly decided that we were just going to have to brave the wind.

We ran over to the sand docks. We boated 5 or so over there. Nothing to write home about, but fish nonetheless.

Next run is over by Heritage Landing. That's where the magic happened. Is the suspense building?  We pull up and get a little smallie, a couple little largies, and a rock bass. Were talking, and he swings for the hookset. The rod buckles, and he says I have to loosen the drag. It starts peeling. What is it?  It's under the boat, around the back of the boat, back to where it was hooked. I see a flash. It's huge. What is it?  He gets it up to the surface. It's a sheephead. Sorry. I know you were hoping for a bass. I know. But, its a less than perfect world.

We run again. This time we are on a weed bed. Start out with plastics, but within minutes, fish are blowing up the surface and bait fish are scattering. There are so many, it sounds like rain. I switch to a buzzbait. He goes to a swimbait. Within a few casts, I have above blow up. Not paying attention, and forgetting what I'm fishing with, I jerk it right out of its mouth. We laugh. A few casts later, I'm all in the weeds. I'm quickly reeling it in weeds and all, and five feet from the boat, an explosion. One hit it weeds and all right by the boat. I wasn't paying attention, and nearly jumped out of the boat it scared me so bad. We laughed some more. Stackenem did muster up a decent keeper out of the weeds, but no monster.

It was a fun evening. Had a good time.

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

stackenem

I want to thank Mike for the great time we had on the water. We didn't get any monsters (bass anyway) but we had a great time. Thanks again Mike.
Remember you don't quit fishing when you get old, you get old when you quit fishing

Mike S.

Genie

I know that spot ... not just big sheephead there ....
Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

Mike S.

Thanks Genie. Now I will never get to fish there.  >:(  just kidding. Yeah, the picture definitely leaves nothing to be questioned. And so everyone knows, there are big carp there too.

Genie

Let's just say I call that the "5 pound piling" spot ... at least before they did all the re-work.
Grand Rapids, MI

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

Yes. Lots of 5 pound carp and dogfish piling up in there. I'm going to have to photo shop every picture I take now. So, from now on, every pic I post will be from Wolf Lake.

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI

Mike S.

Now you're just being impossible. How about Macatawa?

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI

djkimmel

Then, someone else will just be upset! I wouldn't worry about it. Half the time people think they recognize a post and then go somewhere else. Other times people catch a fish one place and take a picture of it somewhere else. I actually crack up every time I see a picture of an angler with bass caught somewhere with a distant, vague background and someone still will post EVERY TIME 'I know right where that is at!' or similar.

If I don't see an angler catch the bass with my own two eyes from very close up EVERYTHING else will always be suspect for me! I've been around way too many anglers to not know better... ;D

Mike S.

Oh, I'm just goofing off. I don't care if someone knows where I fish. There is one spot I never talk about, but nobody would know because I don't talk about it. I just like to give people trouble, keeps me entertained.

Genie

Don't tell anyone about that one either ... that is my best spot.
Grand Rapids, MI

Mike S.

Deal. We won't tell these guys anything about Wolf Lake.

Mojo

Man thimiss nearly impossible to crack on you two - Bill n Mike !

How many times did the barbie or Dora pole joke come up !  ;D
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Mike S.

Only a couple!  See what you missed out on?  I take east siders out to catch big sheephead, and tell them we will be catching bass. Except for that one time I took Mikesmiph. I just made stuff up and drove around the lake all day. Yeah, that's why we didn't catch a single fish in 8 hours.  ???

Mojo

Kinda like how I took you all over LSC and we 'blew' into those double digits (10.01 lbs total I think was our official weight) !!

Now I've seen you bang fish ... Dora or Barbie poles - West siders can stick em as good as any East sider .....
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan