Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 06:11:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Spinning reel feedback

Started by robhj, February 02, 2012, 03:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjc

Quote from: Waterfoul on February 03, 2012, 12:46:05 AM
The only spinning reels I've ever had issues with were all Quantum (or should I say Zebco?).  All of them have litterally eaten gears and are utterly useless.  Never had that happen to a Shimano.  I have a Sedona 4000 that has so many salmon to it's credit I can't even begin to count them and it still works like new.

Can't wait to put my new Stradic Ci4 on my Shimano Cumara drop shot rod this year.  The entire rig only weighs like about 11-12 ounces.

Puting Quantum and Zebco in the same catagory is not fair.  While they may be owned by the same company, it is like saying that a saturn is the same as a Cadillac.

The first shimano I ever bought was a $20 spinning reel, that lasted about an hour.  However I am aware that shimanos are not all junk, $20.00 reels are all junk.

I have pretty much decided that spinning reels in the $80-100 retail class are typically pretty fair quality reels, which is why i say that Wave spin reels are a great value for the money, as they perform like reels of higher quality.

Mike S.

I have a Quantum Energy Ptia20 that I bought 7 years ago, and have only had one problem with it.  A screw came loose on the bail assembly last year.  I have really abused that reel.  It has been spiked off the bottom of the boat several times. It's been fished out of Muskegon lake several times. All I've had to do is clean it up and relube it, and buy a couple of new handles.  My Tour Edition has been an excellent reel as well.  Not an issue in 3 or 4 years.  Hasn't been thrown or drown yet either. I have had my Wavespin for 2 or 3 years now.  Not an issue.  I really like that reel.  It's so different from my others.

As with anything else, you get what you pay for. 

Manxfishing

With all the good reviews on the wavespin reels
I'll have to give one a try

In the past I looked at them thinking they were a gimmick
At least do seem to be priced right

macbass

with all this being said the only spinning reel in my use is a wavespin. i can probably honestly say I am the only person on this board other than russ that has used them since there introduction. I still have one of the first prototypes in my desk. Since the first ones that were sold at the grand rapids show which were not production reels they have made great strides and russ being he does spend a lot of time on he water and does listen to some of us has help make chnages that only will benefit the fisherman and the reels performance. If you all want to handle one and havent I can make sure they are at the wonderland open house and i will also have them at the show in traverse city.

IF ITS NOT A CAT ITS A DOG: BASSCAT PERFORMANCE BOATS www.thedropshotdenny.com www.hookednhunted.com

djkimmel

I was using Pflueger for a while. I thought they were one of those diamond in the roughs - you could get a $60 to $80 reel that felt, worked and lasted like a reel that cost twice that much.

I'm switching over to Wavespin now - I have 3 so far. They help out this website that is pretty important to me and they are the same kind of diamond in the rough type of reel. The latest models are smooth, cast well and feel good. Same deal - I feel like I'm using a reel that fishes like a $100+ model but they don't cost that much.

I like deals that allow me to afford quality, dependable tackle in enough quantity so I can enjoy fishing better. We all know you pay more for more popular brands. Some of us (all of us?) need to save money and it helps to have products available that still feature great quality at a reasonable price. LGMOUTH uses only Wavespin and he seems to do a little bit more than alright ;D

We will be having more Wavespin Reel photo contests in 2012 starting with opening day of Michigan catch and release bass fishing again too!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

oldjigger

I also use mostly pfluegers and they hold up very good for a half the cost of the others.  I bought  a couple wave spins last year and they are very nice. thedropshotdenny has them on his websiteaas well as tubes and my jigs.

5poundhooker

I have Quantums and Shimanos and both are good reels, however the Quantums have been much smoother and lasted longer and as long as they have the Maglock anti-rev. system you won't have to replace the a/r bearing ever. I just got the new Energy and have not tested it yet, but they are much lighter than the old models. I think if you want a good one look for the last model on e-bay or the Tour Ed. and you should get them for very little cost compared to when they were just released. My Dad has dropped 2 different Energy's in the lake and retrieved them. They still work as if they were new (PTIA's I think 20 & 30). Always look on online stores or auction sites first to the best deals whatever brand you go for.

bigjc

Quote from: djkimmel on February 04, 2012, 02:44:17 PM
I was using Pflueger for a while. I thought they were one of those diamond in the roughs - you could get a $60 to $80 reel that felt, worked and lasted like a reel that cost twice that much.

I'm switching over to Wavespin now - I have 3 so far. They help out this website that is pretty important to me and they are the same kind of diamond in the rough type of reel. The latest models are smooth, cast well and feel good. Same deal - I feel like I'm using a reel that fishes like a $100+ model but they don't cost that much.

I like deals that allow me to afford quality, dependable tackle in enough quantity so I can enjoy fishing better. We all know you pay more for more popular brands. Some of us (all of us?) need to save money and it helps to have products available that still feature great quality at a reasonable price. LGMOUTH uses only Wavespin and he seems to do a little bit more than alright ;D

We will be having more Wavespin Reel photo contests in 2012 starting with opening day of Michigan catch and release bass fishing again too!

Well said, couldn't have said it better myself, and I cannot wait for the next photo contest!!!

Cy

Quote from: LAPORTE on February 03, 2012, 10:08:11 AM
I use the 60 dollar cabelas ones they work just fine for the last 5 years, and the come with a extra spool

They are made by Daiwa Don, that's why they last.  I have switched all my spinning reels to Daiwa in the last couple years and love them.  I need a couple new spinning reels this year and I will probably give a wavespin a try.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Waterfoul

I have a Wavespin that Don "loaned" me to try out a couple years ago.  When I got it lets just say it had few "miles on it!"  LOL!!    Used it for about a season and while it was obviously a used real when I got it, it still functioned well and has never given me any trouble.  I tried to give it back to him a while back... seems he didn't want it so I still have it and use it once in a while, in fact I just picked it up this very moment... yup, still spins smoothly.  The only drawback is they seem a bit heavy when compared to some of my higher dollar reels.  But then again, you kind of get what you pay for.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

thedude

i only have 2 spinning rods, but i have 3 diawa regal's i got at [REMOVED - see No Links Policy List] for like 20$ a piece (on sale + another 20% off).  I have a daiwa capricorn on my drop shot rod, and figure i'll just throw away the regal every 10 years when it  actually gets wore out.

One of the best spinning reels i've owned was a clam-shell mitchell i paid 8$ for about a decade ago the other was a quantum energy from the 90s i bought for alaska, i still use it for skipping docks.  All i look for in a spinning reel is durability and a good drag. i don't buy shimanos because you have to spend 100$ on one thats any good. i have a bucket full of old spirex's and sedona's to prove it..... i'll pay 150+ for a good baitcaster, but for spinning reels, the max is 50 bucks.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods