Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 09:12:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Spinning reel feedback

Started by robhj, February 02, 2012, 03:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robhj

I'm looking into purchasing another spinning reel to pair with a 7' St. Croix, med/fast rod I bought for tubes/wacky/grubs and would like some recommendations. I own several Pfluegers & Shimano spinning reels and have all Shimano baitcasters and have been very pleased with the quality. I'm thinking about getting another Shimano Sahara or Symetre but would like to hear some other suggestions and what others would consider their go-to spinning reel & rod combo. When I target bass, it is mainly smallies. Thanks for your input.

TCook

NRX 852s with a sustain fe 2500

Expensive but I would rather have just one of these combos in place of 3 cheaper setups.
FISH HARD!!!

Waterfoul

SYMETRY without a doubt.  I own about 8 of them and love them all!  On that rod I'd go with the 2500.  I have a few more expensive reels (Stradics, Sustain) and have gotten the same mileage out of my Semetrys.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

robhj

Thanks. I am leaning towards the Symetre. I have the 4000 size Sahara but the 2500 seemed alot smaller. I do think the 4000 that I have is a little to large so hopefully the 2500 Symetre will be paired nicely with the rod. I looked at getting a G-Loomis NRX series rod & I do agree you get what you pay for, but I have a hard time justifying $450 or more for a rod. I have spent over $300 for reels but have never spent over $200 for a rod. I just don't think that if I was fishing the exact same presentation with a quality rod that costs $150-200 & one that costs twice that amount that I would detect more strikes or catch more fish. For those that own the NRX or other top end rods, why do you feel they are worth the extra $. I could always be persuaded and guess I'll never truly know unless I buy one and see if I can tell a difference in performance.

Manxfishing

For Spinning reels
I own just Shimano's in the 2500
I've never had any problems and you get a little more as pay more for the reel

The deal these days would be last years Stadic FI model
It still came with the extra spool and they were going for 100 something
were the new FJ was 179
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SHIMANO-STRADIC-2500FI-SPINNING-REEL-NEW-/250986219230?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6ff1c6de

On the higher end rods
My thoughts are, after 150 seems like there's very little to gain in sensitivity
or the gains are very small
Your paying for the lack of weight, name, warr and craftsmenship
Nicer grips, eyes and wraps

TCook

I like to think you can feel the lighter bites better and react quicker. I can definitely tell a difference between a cheaper rod and high end when it comes to feeling whats on the bottom. They are generally lighter with better components that last a long time. I usually don't spend over $200 either on rods but tend to for some bottom presentations. I only went nuts on the NRX 852s because I liked the action on it so much I had to have 1 or 3 LOL. Only a couple other rods are over $200 and usually get anything for 25% below retail.
FISH HARD!!!

FishermanJohn

I go back and forth with my favorite spinning rig.  I am a St. Croix junkie but I use both Quantum and Shimano spinning reels.  My favorite overall would be a Quantum Tour Edition PTi-A 20 with a St. Croix Legend Tournament Bass 7' MF spooled with 8# fluoro.  It has held up strong and smooth for over 3 seasons now and is an absolute pleasure to use.   

My other favorite is a Shimano Stradic 2500FH with 10# Power Pro + either 6 or 8# fluoro leader.  This one is paired with a St. Croix Avid 7' MLF.

Cabelas has last year's Stradic FI on sale for $119.99 online now but I have not used that particular model.

bigjc

I highly recommend trying the Wave Spin reel :

http://www.wavespinreel.com/index.html

Great reel for the money.  I used one for much of last season and I am super impressed and will buy another, and they are sponsors of this site.

LGMOUTH

Quote from: bigjc on February 02, 2012, 07:40:14 PM
I highly recommend trying the Wave Spin reel :

http://www.wavespinreel.com/index.html

Great reel for the money.  I used one for much of last season and I am super impressed and will buy another, and they are sponsors of this site.

I second that. Very nice reel for the price. Well worth taking a look at.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

bigjc

I was very reluctant to try one, since I am a diehard Quantum fan. All of the combos on my deck at any time are normally Kistlers/quantums, but I now have two Wavespins and will buy another.

Firefighter Jeff

I'm a big Shimano fan, but have to say, so far, I'm real happy with the Wavespin I got last fall, thanks to Tcook throwing me a bone on a second reel contest he won on this site.  I was the cameraman and boat provider.  LMBO  Anyway, I haven't used it much, but I am very happy with it, and like others have said, they are a sponsor of the site. Plus Russ was great to work with.  :)

Mike S.

I too am a die hard Quantum fan. However, I bought a Wavespin from Don 2 years ago, and I really like it.

I have two favorite spinning combos. The first is my Grandt All American, 7 foot medium action, paired with a Quantum Tour Edition PTiA 20. Love it. My second is my St. Croix Mojo Bass 7 footer with a Wavespin DH3000. For the money, the Wavespin is truly an awesome reel. It is the only reel I own that isn't a Quantum.

oldjigger

I have fished tournaments for 35 years and used to buy lots of higher end spinning reels.  I now buy pflueger trionsgx-7 for 39.95.  I fish a lot and use mostly all spinning reels and have some of these that have lasted 6 years with no maintainance.  If you pair this up with a B & R Outlaw rod you will be set to reel in the big ones for a total price rod and reel of $140.

bigmojet

I have  all St croix avids and quantum spinning reels but this year am gonna try Pflueger Patriarch. I like the 30 size reels.

Waterfoul

The only spinning reels I've ever had issues with were all Quantum (or should I say Zebco?).  All of them have litterally eaten gears and are utterly useless.  Never had that happen to a Shimano.  I have a Sedona 4000 that has so many salmon to it's credit I can't even begin to count them and it still works like new.

Can't wait to put my new Stradic Ci4 on my Shimano Cumara drop shot rod this year.  The entire rig only weighs like about 11-12 ounces.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

fiker

I have the Symetre reels and love em.  I've had no desire to buy anything else.  That said though I'm curious about the Wavespin. 

I use mostly 2500's but on my tube rod I have a 4000.  The extra weight balances the rod/reel at just the right angle to drag tubes. 

My rods are almost all St. Croix Avids.  One of the reasons I went with them was the lifetime warranty.   They are also very light and sensitive.  I do have one Loomis GL3 and it's a great rod as well. 

I"m absolutely convinced that rods in this $200 +/- range are worth it.  I know I detect bites that I wouldn't otherwise.  I use a ml Avid with an extra fast tip paired with a 2500 Symetre for my drop shot.  Coupled with 8# fluoro it's just sahweet.
Next purchase I make will be a 7' Avid in Med Hvy for flipping jigs.  That will get paired with a Curado 101b.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

YpsiBass

Weird.  No daiwa fans.  I love my Daiwa Sol spinning reel.  With my Shimanos I would get some line tangle problems no matter how I put the line on the things, but not so with my Daiwa.  I had a Quantum PTi (the first one with the titanium sparkly finish) and it finally died last year when the anti-reverse went out, so this year I'll be picking up one or two of the new Daiwa reels they have out, either Procyon or Ballistic.  Can't say that I don't want a new white Shimano Stradic though.

LAPORTE

I use the 60 dollar cabelas ones they work just fine for the last 5 years, and the come with a extra spool
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

Frank

i buy used Stradics on ebay a lot.  I never pay more than $70 for them.

Frank

LennyB

I used Stradics for years and loved them, the old style that used to cost $129 at bass pro. Then when shimano charged their line-up a couple years back I sold all the old ones and bought the new Symetre and Stradics. Both are excellent quality but both are very heavy. Then I picked up a Pflueger Supreme XT and found that this is a very good reel for the price and it is Very Light. I think for long term durability the shimanos are definitely the best as far as how they hold up over the years but if you plan to replace for new after a couple years which I do, the Pfluegar Supreme XT is a great reel. It has a magnesium body so I think the long term, as in five+ years, may not be that good as with any magnesium framed reel. If you do go with the Pflueger, the size to get for bass fishing is the: 8230MG. Hope this helps.

http://www.pfluegerfishing.com/products/products.php?p=9