Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:29:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Winterize boat batteries

Started by StarBoard7, December 18, 2011, 10:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StarBoard7

Hello all,

I store my boat outside year round.
I winterize it in mid Nov usually and start using it sometime in April.

I usually just leave my batteries in the boat .
I leave the Trolling batteries plugged in to my 2 bank charger all year long but my question is what should I do with my Cranking battery?

Every year it is dead when I try to start it up for the first time of corse until I jump it off my trolling batteries then its good to go.
I kinda figure this cant be good for the batteries though.

I know taking the batteries out would prob be the best option but what would be the best option if I did not take them out specifically for the cranking battery as the trolling batteries seem to do ok being charged by the on charger over the winter.

Is there some kind of charger I should buy for the cranking specifically?

Thanks guys.

Durand Dan

If you don't want to remove them to store indoors, just unhook the cables. They will still have a charge in the spring. Leaving any thing attached will drain the batteries.

Waterfoul

Leaving it outside and letting it run down like that will shorten the batteries life drasticaly.  If not charged... they can freeze solid, which is very bad.

Either get a small trickle charger (if you want to leave it in the boat outside) or bring it indoors for the winter.  Even then, I'd either charge it up a couple times over the winter or get yourself a battery maintainer/charger and just hook it up.

Best option, bring it indoors.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

fiker

These are good ideas.  However, you must make sure that your batteries are as full of water as they should be.  (assuming you have batteries with liquid in them).   If the water levels are low and you charge your batteries you can actually cause the plates to sulphanate.  This will also harm your battery and limit its capacity and its life.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Mike S.

Would it be a bad idea to hook your cranking battery to an onboard charger?  I have a MK345D for my trolling motor, and I get really sick of hooking a charger up to my cranking battery when my electronics run it down.  So I went and bought a MK110D for the cranking battery.  I figure I will just plug that in after every other trip or so.  I also had the idea of a 2 way splitter, coming from the plug that is recessed into the side of my boat, then both chargers run when it is plugged in.  Bad idea?  I know my outboard charges the battery, to an extent, when it's running, but when everything is on, the battery doesn't last but almost 8 hours. 

djkimmel

1. You need a bigger or newer cranking battery that is a size 31 because it should last you all day! I recommend a Deka Marine Master Dual Purpose (combination deep and starting) size 31 battery because than you will not have to worry while out fishing. I never have. I run mine 5 years before I trade them in and have never had a problem with 1 battery.

2. You can hook an onboard charger to your cranking battery. A new charger should handle the charging correctly regardless of the usage as long as it is a regular wet cell battery (not gel or glass mat).

I'm not sure about the splitter idea. Nobody will ever call me an electrician! Might be okay?

This is some helpful battery information from the biggest battery maker in the US - East Penn - http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0273.pdf

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

By splitter, I meant one of those adapters to plug more than one electric cord into.  That way I would only have to plug one cord into my boat and run both chargers to knock out all 4 batteries.

Thanks for the battery recommendation.  I went and took a look at the cranking battery, and it's tiny.  I have 3 new Deka 27's for the trolling motor.  I will definitely go get a bigger battery.....in the spring.

djkimmel

Size 24 doesn't cut it for a bass boat. You can get by with a size 27 but the 31 will run more stuff longer and last longer. The dual purpose will run all your electronics better while still giving you plenty of cranking amps.

You should be able to plug two chargers into one outlet as long as it is at least 15 amps outlet. One of my outside plugs is connected to a in plug circuit breaker and my camper would pop it but my 3-bank 30 amp charger doesn't (need more powa!!).

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

I got on the Deka website, and can't get it to tell me where I can buy their batteries around here.  Any suggestions?

Dan

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

t-bone

You could just upgrade to a 4 bank charger vs. running two chargers in your boat. I did that last year when I upgraded to a 36v trolling motor. 
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

Mike S.

I thought about that, but I have an MK345D that isn't even a year old. I didn't want to take a loss on selling that and then have to come up with the rest of the money for the 4 bank. I got a brand new MK110D for $97.  So, I'm just going to have two chargers.

Waterfoul

Hey Mike... you know a guy who sells Deka Batteries.  I think you are fishing with him on Monday??  8)

I always say go big or go home.  My starting/electronics battery:  Group 4D... you wanna talk big?  But it will NEVER go dead I don't care how long you fish.  

I'll add this about splitting the incoming 110v to two chargers... neither charger will send it's full charging capabilities to the batteries.  Ohms law or something like that... been a long time since science class!  LOL!!  If you want to run two chargers at the same time you are much better off running them on their own 110v source, and on the heaviest gauge extension cord you can find.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Mike S.

Oh. That is exactly the response I was looking for about running the two chargers together. I think I will just put another plug in the boat, and only charge the starting battery once in a while. Guess we will have to talk about me getting a battery on Monday.

tjrock

My brother-in-law and I always plug our boats into the same extension cord with a splitter when we are up north and we've never had a problem. Plugging the chargers into a splitter will not affect the voltage. You can plug as many as you want into the splitter and it will always have 120 volts. But, the more you plug in the more amperage or load you are putting on the circuit. I wouldn't see an issue with using a splitter, but always use a good quality extension cord.

Waterfoul

Exactly... the amperage will drop drastically for every cord you add to the splitter  (I said volts earlier, I meant amps).  If you fish as often as I do... that just won't do!    :o  I need my batteries to get every amp they can take when I'm charging them.  A heavy gauge extension cord will help a LOT if you want to run a splitter.  As heavy as you can find.  Also, the longer the cord, the bigger the amperage drop from plug to boat.

djkimmel

I use 12-gauge extension cords most of the time. Heavy but they really help in campgrounds and for long distances. 16-gauge cords don't cut it. I have a couple cords and connectors for my camper that are designed to provide the full 30 amps or better that I can use in a pinch.

It amazes me to see anglers with $30,000 to $60,000+ bass boats and big trucks trying to charge their batteries with a $10 16 gauge extension cord?!? Never have figured that one out. Especially when they have cord separation, torn spots, missing grounds, etc...

Buy a Deka battery and buy a really good 12-gauge extension cord!!!

Uncoil the cord too when charging any long distance, especially when there's a lot of draw and/or weaker power is suspected. I remember at the St. Clair TBF divisional I fished that a bunch of the guys had their cords still wrapped because we were generally parked close to our rooms. We had poor electrictal draw and the resistance built up lots of heat. Cord covers started melting together! There was enough heat in a couple of the cord piles to start a fire!

Mike S.

If I had a $60,000 bass boat and an expensive truck to pull it with, I too would be using a $10 extension cord!  Might even have to use a Dollar Store cheapy.  LOL!!

All humor aside, you guys have been very helpful on the topic of batteries and chargers here.  I will be buying a big Deka, but I figure I might as well wait until spring to do that.  No sense in buying a brand new battery for the garage all winter.  I will be putting the boat away after Monday.

mikesmiph

I just make sure they have water and plug them in.

djkimmel

I leave mine out in the boat and just put them on the charger overnight every few weeks over the winter. I checked the water levels before my last trip out.

I don't leave them on a charger longer than 24 hours ever. Risky. If I had ever had any draining problem I'd unhook the wires but I've never had that problem with my old Ranger. I just shut off the fuse box and unplug the trolling motor.