Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 06:58:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Secord Lake Ramp

Started by gmetime24, September 09, 2011, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmetime24

My buddy and I are thinking about heading to Secord Lake on Saturday and we have never been to this lake. I was just wondering where the public ramps are and if they are nice paved ramps or what. Any help is appreciated...thanks

t-bone

Fished there a couple weeks ago. We launched from the west side of the lake off of Pineland Drive. It is a single boat ramp with a long, narrow path to back your boat down to a cement ramp. It's around 4082-4096 Pineway Dr.

Secord lake has crazy boat traffic and is a narrow river system - so take your time stay in channels, watch for stumps, and pontoons with 300hp engines.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

djkimmel

Is it Pineland or Pineway or ??

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I'm betting it is Pinecrest Drive? Or maybe Pinehurst Drive or Pineland Pt?

I thought the newer MDNR ramp was on the West Arm off of W River Drive? State Boat Launch drive/circle something like that not far off M-30. I never launched there because I haven't fished it since about the time that ramp went in or was fixed. I was told that is the best ramp.

I know the old MDNR ramp way up on the East Arm of the lake was bad last time I launched. Almost didn't get out. Soft. There was a broken concrete, steep ramp at the little party store / campground nearby on the East side that I launched at a few times. Unless it has been fixed since I was last there (quite a while ago) that one was doable but rough. I'd shoot for the West Arm DNR ramp. I don't know about the ramp t-bone is referring to? Used to launch at the marinas near the dam on the East side. I think someone told me they are more expensive now and not always available?

Even on Google Satellite there's about 100 boats seen racing up and down the lake!?! ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

gmetime24

Thanks for your input guys. I planned on going slow until I learned the lake better but is it ok to cruise up and down both arms or is there a certain point where I need to slow down?  I noticed all the boats on google earth and thought maybe since the holiday weekend just past the boat traffic might not be as bad.

Is this lake even worth trying when its packed or should we just try somewhere else?

Baybass

Drive 15 more miles and go to Sugar Springs.  great fishing, no wake till 11am .  You will have a much better time.  This time of year is crazy great on Sugar. 

djkimmel

There are bars and points that stick out quite a ways on Secord covered in stumps in a few places on the main lake so you need to know where that channel swings. My knowledge is out of date on the fishing but I loved fishing it later in the fall but it is a challenging to real challenging lake for many anglers. I never caught a ton of bass from it but some big ones. I've only fished it in the early to late fall.

How is the ramp situation at Sugar Springs now? All done and easy to use?

Big dreams

The main ramp for Secord is off from Pinecrest.  I have been fishing it for the past two weeks to prepare for our last club tournament which is tomorrow (Saturday).  I found a few spots however, the boaters there are not very friendly.  As it was noted earlier in this thread, the lake is narrow.  I had one boat fly by and it left a huge wake.  Nearly caused me to hit the back of a pontoon. 

Seems to be another tough lake like Small Wood which is right under it.  I grew up on that lake and have a hard time not getting skunked. 

Sugar Springs seems to be a good lake to hit up.  The no wake law really helps out.

Whichever you choose, let us know where and how you did.

bob620

I was up in Gladwin last week,  Wednesday thru Saturday morning.The ramp is on West River road.If you are coming up on I-75 you get off at M-61, head west on M-61 to M-30,head North on M-30 to West River Rd,turn east[rh. turn]you will see a boat launch sign about a mile or so down ,turn left.I think it is a great launch,it has everything a fisherman needs.A ramp, dock, and clean toilet.I was on Lake Lancelot only, last week  [Sugar Springs],Secord Lake would have been impossible to fish or safe to fish.The lake is a Zoo from Memorial weekend to Labor Day weekend,or later if the weather stays warm.If You launch early on the weekend there will no problem but after that the people will be getting their Pontoons,speed boats,ski boats,and jet skies out for the season.Had a guy park his truck and trailer at the dock,walk to his cottage and drive his boat to the dock and load his boat on the trailer.This was over a hour and think there was nothing wrong with this.I was going to move his rig out of the way,but he took the keys with him. Anyway,there is a sign that says Pinecrest M30 at the corner,but I think that was named for the sub at the end when it was developed back in the 70s.My family had a house on the east side of the Lake for 40 yrs.until we sold it 10 yrs ago.Oh the fishing is picking up on Sugar Springs.There was an article in bass master magazine about Secord in the 90s,you might want to get a copy of that article.Good luck! ps make sure you pay the 7 dollar launch pass at sugar springs they will tow your rig away!
                                                          bob620

bob620   

djkimmel

I thought the best ramp was the newer one off W River Rd. I don't know anything about the one off Pinecrest?

bob620

Dan,The ramp is on west river rd.Pinecrest m30 is the name of the sub division.

bob620

bob620

Dan,the other dnr ramp is off Finkbinder rd.

bob620

Baybass

The ramp at Sugar is still broken at the end so keep your motor up until you clear the dock (don't want to catch that big piece of concrete in reverse with your prop).  Just be careful and you will be fine. As for Smallwod run up the river towards the Secord dam, like all the lakes on this chain stay in the channel  and take it slow. Another fun lake is Wiggens over by Gladwin,  some huge Largies on that lake and less pressure. 

djkimmel

Quote from: bob620 on September 10, 2011, 12:18:38 AM
Dan,the other dnr ramp is off Finkbinder rd.

bob620

That must be the one I almost didn't get out of years ago. My trailer sank into the bottom. Have they fixed it up at all?

bob620

Dan,I have not been to that ramp in years. Since they put the new ramp in there, been no reason to go there.   

bob620

djkimmel

That's what I figured. I would be amazed if they did any major improvements on the other ramp. I'll have to drive by it some day or call someone up there who might know. Just out of curiosity. Probably won't make it back up this year for a late fall trip. Used to go every October but it's been a while. My kind of lake in October.

cameraguy

Isn't there a marina on Secord that will let boats launch?
There are two lakes in Sugar Springs; Lancer and Lancelot. Lancer is the bigger of the two and has nice ramps run by a nearby Butman Township office. Lancelot is private.
I think Bob Gwizdz wrote an article for Bassmaster about Smallwood Lake. There could have been an article about Secord but I don't recall seeing one.

t-bone

We did our weigh-in at one of the guys mom's house on Secord and then had a BBQ on the back porch. We sat and ate dogs while watching the craziness on the lake. I've never seen so many pontoons drive so fast and a lack caution. You need to be careful out there and it pays to bring your butt seats because the waves from the boat traffic can be worse than fishing Erie.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

djkimmel

That's one reason I've only fished it in October so far.

I think Gwizdz did write about Smallwood. Still haven't made it to that lake. So many lakes. So little time... cameraguy, you got any contacts on Lancelot anymore? We sure had fun that one afternoon!

cameraguy