Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

June 16, 2024, 03:28:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Tue, 07 May 2024 13:00:10 +0000
The Michigan DNR is conducting an acoustic tagging study on Lake St. Clair Smallmouth Bass to better understand their distribution through the lake and habitat use.
Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.

Advertisement

Frog Practice

Started by Durand Dan, August 10, 2011, 12:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durand Dan

Well this morning I decided that my Frog technique needed some brushing up in preparation for BOB O's Frogs only tournament on Lake Ovid Saturday. With the pressure mounting, as I will be fishing with Master Ovid Angler Dab Kimmel, I headed to Lobdell in search of the allusive 5lber.
When I arrived the lake was churning with white caps from the 25-30mph NW gusts. If you fish Lobdell you know that the NW wind is the hardest to hide from. I decided I would head to the channel between Bennett and Hoisington where there are acres of slop and lily pads.
Starting at the entrance to the channel I started throwing a Spro Frog in green and white. I was working pads that bordered water 11 foot deep. I thought this would be ideal. After about 20 minutes I switched up to a Koppers Live Target Frog in brown and white. As I was watching a Heron in the weeds I heard a splash and set the hook. Swing and missed!
I threw back to the same area and wham!, I hooked up with must have been at least a 1lb Bull Frog! I was shocked. I had never caught a frog while fishing before. I released him and watched as he swam back to the weeds. Again I threw the Koppers and unbelievably another Bull Frog hit it! This was crazy. Again I released it and threw up into the pads again. One more time! It turned out to be one of the frogs I had caught, he had a nice incision on the opposite side of his mouth.
Well moving on I rigged up a Garneau BuzzV in watermelon( I hope this qualifies as a frog bait). Throwing it to the outside of the pads I hooked up with my first fish of the day. A 30" Pike! And it was mean!
From there everything kind of went south. The wind was increasing and thunder clouds were forming so I decided to head back to the main lake in case a storm developed. I grabbed the trolling motor rope and snap, it broke. So here I am, winds gusting and trying to get the trolling motor up. I managed to get the situation corrected and headed to Lobdell.
Pulling up on a large flat I figured the Garneau Bait was the best bet. Well the wind decided that wasn't the case. I got one of those scissors only kind of back lashes.
At that point I figured I would head to the launch and load up.
Well the day wasn't over. When I went to get my truck and trailer I found that someone had run into my trailer and broken the spare tire mount. A little bit of welding when I got home took care of that.
What a day!!
I can't wait till Saturday!

mikesmiph

No pictures, it didn't happen. You know better Dan. LOL

djkimmel

I hope you have better luck with Dab Kimmel!! Now the pressure is on him!!

An entertaining report and you may not believe this but I once caught two giant bullfrogs on the same day on Lobdell Lake 20-some years ago on a frog bait. I can't even remember what bait I was using. I'm not as good because I only caught each frog once! Mine where in the one of the arms, maybe the one Whites is on? Weird, huh? Maybe you should fish with me instead of Dab? We have something in common!

Big Bullfrogs are wicked predators!

I also had a day on Lobdell way back where blackbirds kept attacking my frogs all day. Never figured that one out? Lobdell is also the lake where my fishing partner threw out a Jitterbug on one of our opening night starts and it never hit the surface. A bat intercepted it instead. That was an interesting fight...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

YpsiBass

Quote from: djkimmel on August 11, 2011, 12:07:36 AM
Lobdell is also the lake where my fishing partner threw out a Jitterbug on one of our opening night starts and it never hit the surface. A bat intercepted it instead. That was an interesting fight...

LOL!

djkimmel

It was funny... waiting for the Jitterbug to splash down. And waiting... and waiting... no splash!?! The bat biting the hand trying to free it wasn't real funny! Those teeth are tiny needles ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Redbone

Quote from: Durand Dan on August 10, 2011, 12:22:53 PM
I got one of those scissors only kind of back lashes.

That is my favorite kind. I wouldnt have it any other way.