Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:04:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Burt/Mullet area 6/17 - 6/23

Started by canvsbk, June 24, 2006, 05:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canvsbk

Saturday 6/17  Headed north to a cabin on Burt Lake with my wife and daughter who is home for a week from school out west. We get up there and unloaded in time for an afternoon on Burt. Went over to the state park to launch and head out about mid afternoon. I'm hoping for some lady smallies with the post spawn munchies. It's always entertaining to fish with my wife. That rod looks new! I explain for the umpteenth time how well I take care of my stuff and how lucky she is to have a guy like me. She also doesn't like the little red dots in her tube. After a 2 1/2 # smallie worked her over a bit she decided the smoke/red tube might be OK.
I drop shotted a watermelon/red Dinger and we ended up with 7 or 8 from 15 FOW. Not a bad start but nothing over 3#.
Sunday 6/18  Burt again, this time by myself. Fished both AM and PM and looked hard for the big 'uns. Couldn't get it going. There's a couple Xmas trees on the break that always hold nice fish and they were there. 8 or 9 of 'em in 11 FOW all giants. I tried everthing, all to no avail. Ended the day with around a dozen in the 3# range, all caught on smoke/silver hula grubs but no real special fish. After a day and a half I have yet to see another bass boat.
Monday 6/19  Grand Traverse Bay. This day would be about as good as it gets. Fished the East arm from Elk Rapids south. There were fish on every rock, weed clump or log. They were definetly schooled by size and I actually pulled off 2 - 3 pounders a couple times to look for bigger fish. What a great place. I fished tubes, dark melon/orange, in 6 - 10 FOW. I didn't count but I'm sure I would have weighed in around the mid 20's some where. Best fish was 5 - 07. She was beautiful. May have been my best day ever.
Tuesday 6/20  The wind was blowing pretty good in the morning so I headed for Crooked. I've never really whacked 'em here but I always fish it, I just like the lake. Spinner baits and crank baits are the order of the day. The weed lines here are very well defined and the bass are on the inside with the walleyes on the outside. I had action all morning but somewhat of a let down after GTB. I keep 3 walleyes around 17" for dinner.
In the afternoon I head up to Douglas Lake. The rocks here are in the wrong place. if you fish up in this part of the state you'll know what I mean. I like jerk baits here but they don't work this trip. I switched to the Dinger drop shot deal and things started going my way in 10 FOW. Just as I get 'em dialed in a bit my phone rings. Daughter and wife are at the steak house by the ramp........waiting. For what dinner cost I could get a new Pfleuger President AND put line on it. Ended up here with a few fish pushing 3#. Nice evening.
Wednesday Near the town I live in are some "retired" tournament fisherman. They spend a couple weeks in the spring fishing up there and then return for a couple more weeks in the fall. I have to listen to this stuff and look at the pictures they bring back. In the old days I used to like these guys but in recent years I'm starting to change my mind about them. Of course they have their "secret" lakes they fish. One of these spots is pretty easy to figure out but I've struggled with the other one until a slip of the tounge this spring. So I'm off to secret lake #1.
It seems like there's no fish here under 4#. Spinner baits in shallow and tubes on or just off the break. What a great morning. A very special place and I know their secret for sure now.
Off to secret lake #2. I'm guessing on this one but pretty sure about my choice. I won't bore you with the details but there still are spots that are untouched and full of huge smallies in this state. I cannot believe this place. Wait 'till I get to the restaraunt Monday morning! I wonder if I will have to pay for my breakfast now that I'm a member of the secret lake society?
Thursday Skegmog all day. I've always loved this lake, the wood, the rock and the weeds. The bass don't love me back. I fish here all day and don't think I could have weighed 5 fish. Just couldn't get it going. I caught 1 nice one around 4# but nothing else over 14". Maybe next time.
Friday Last day of fishing. Daughter wants to go today so we head off to Intermediate in the morning. After breakfast of course. This was to be a tube morning, just off the break. We caught quite a few fish 13 - 16" until she determined it was lunch time. I guess you gotta eat.
After lunch we went over to Crooked for some of those walleyes. Bandits #200 in silver or spring craw. She caught 7 keepers and I loved every minute of it. And guess what? She caught 'em on that new Fenwick HMX too!!

The fishing up there is still unbelievable, we should all try to keep it that way. The only boats I saw all week were a 521 and a tr 20. I hope they had a good time too.
Look past what they want you to see.

Bulletproof

Nice Report, sounds like quite a time. :)
I am haunted by waters.

Ryan

Wow, what a week!! It sounds like you caught them just about everywhere.  Thanks for the report.