Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 05:22:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

NEW RULE FOR ENTERING CANADIAN WATER

Started by Revtro, July 11, 2011, 09:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloomer

wow, first I have heard of this, I know i have been pretty busy lately, but I spent the majority of today over the border and have done so at least a half dozen times this year. I have yet to run into any officials, but I did notice a real lack of MC numbers, only one other than mine out there. Really had no idea this was going on?

dashaver63

It will be interesting to see what happens in a couple weeks when BASS fishes Erie. I wonder if it will still be a 2 minute phone call when 60 or 70 guy's all try to call in the morning before they launch, or as in Revtro's case, when they get ready to cross the line. UGGHHH! Glad I'm just along for the ride. If I was fishing as a pro, I'd say heck with it and hunt green fish.

fiker

Several members of my club have gone to Canada, called in, and have had no problems. 

They said the same that some one here already said.  Once you're in the system it goes pretty quick.

Questions asked are just the typical questions they ask when crossing the bridge or tunnel. 

I personally haven't tried it yet, but will attempt it on Thursday I'm sure. 

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fiker

Ok.  I did call in on Thursday.  This is what I experienced. 

A young man picked up the phone, asked a few questions, and switched me to a woman.  I believe that she was in Windsor, since I told the young man that is where I was closest to. 

The entire call lasted for 7:48.  Since it was my first time calling in with my boat it actually tool a little longer.  Once your craft and you are in the computer system it is supposed to go even quicker.

What I did experience was a woman officer on the other end of the line that.... (I'm trying to say this as nicely as possible)..... well she had issues.

Early in our conservation I asked her a question.  "YOU will not ask questions.  I WILL ask the questions." 

"What marina are you coming from?" 
"I'm not coming from a marina but from Erie Metro park". 
"That's not what I asked.  What marina will you be landing in Canada at?"
"I"m not landing, I'm just fishing."
"SO, you don't plan on touching land or anchoring?" 
"No mam, we're just catch and release Bass fishing"
"Just answer the questions sir".

I was berated for not knowing exactly how wide the beam on my boat is.  "You are the captain of your vessel.  You are supposed to know these things".  Same for not knowing exactly the draft of my boat. 

When calling in on the water one has to deal with wind noise, and poor cell reception.  When I told her I was having trouble hearing her, that she was breaking up, I was informed "I'm on a land line, you're on a cell.  You're the one breaking up not me".

When asked my birth date I responded "1-31-1952".  "NO, you can't answer it THAT WAY.  I have to have the year first, then the month, then the day". 

When asked about my partner's birthday, I handed the phone to him.
"That didn't sound like Richard's voice".  "Richard, you are the captain of that vessel.  You must answer all the questions yourself.  I will not talk to anyone else. You are ultimately responsible for everything that happens on your boat".

Then there are the usual border crossing questions:  Are you carrying any firearms?  Other than fishing equipment and safety equipment is there any thing else? Any alcohol? 

I can't remember everything that happened.  But like I said, she had issues.  I've dealt with customs officers before, police officers, and others This lady was the toughest to deal with.  My 78 year old partner was able to listen to the whole conversation on speaker phone.  He said that she was the worst public servant he'd ever seen.  He had other words for her, but this is a family forum.   About a half hour before I called in, so did another member of our club.  He said she wasn't as bad to him as she was to me, but he agreed that she was pretty rude, and kind of a power junkie.

I don't like confrontations, especially with people that hold my immediate fate in their hands.  My experience with this lady officer soured my day.  As it turned out, we stayed in Canadian waters for about the same amount of time it took to make the phone call.

Will it keep me from going back? No.
Will I buy a Canadian license next year? Probably.

I gotta believe (hope) that I got an officer that was having a bad day, and I was the scape goat. 

I respect the fact that when in Canada I'm the foreigner.  They get to make and enforce the laws they see fit.  It's their country.  I will, when there, follow their rules and laws.  But if I'm made to feel every time like she made me feel this time, then I just won't go. 
The fishing is good, but it's not that good.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

River Walker

I fished a tournament out of Sandusky Bay yesterday,and as usual upon leaving the ramp made the call.I know I'm supposed to wait until I cross over into Canadian waters,but until yesterday this hadn't been a problem.Yesterday they told me to call back upon entering their water.Since I was heading to Pelee,I made the call near Middle Island,the call as usual lasted matbe two minutes.The problem we had was with the American LEO's coming back.We were just about to cross back over into Ohio waters when a Sandusky County Sheriff vessel spotted us.It was easy to tell that he was running right on the international border line,and he had every intention of cutting us off.We gave it a little gas,and this ticked him off big time,the second we crossed the line,he swerved right in front us throwing a monster wake right over the bow of the 620,everything got soaked of course.There was 5 deputies in the boat,and the one asking us the questions was straight-forward,but IMO,very rude.We said we had 5 smallies in the livewell and that we were fishing a tournament out of the bay and had to be back by 3:30pm(it is over 30 miles),his response was "Oh,you guys are in a tournament,this will only take a minute or two".About 20 minutes later after warning us about the boat's lettering not being visible from a distance,we were set free.This occurence keeps repeating itself over and over again.I have yet had a single issue with the Canadians(other than the stupid phone call),but this year alone I've been pulled over 7 times by an American craft.They've ranged from the Sheriff's Whaler yesterday,to the Border Patrol,Coast Guard,and 2 different Ohio cities police boats.I'm slowly starting to ask myself this question-which side is really creating the hassle-don't seem to be Canuck to me anymore!

LennyB

That's been my experience at the Ambassador Bridge also. Canadian's ask just what they need to know. The last time I came back the kid at the both on the US side had to take a sandwich break before questioning us, then had an issue with me not knowing the plate # on the tow vehicle, then interigated us about the food he thought we had in the cooler we didn't tell him about that actually turned out to be a tackle box. Just a dip shxx. ???

Skulley

I have to honestly say I have had no problem from either side, Canadian or U.S.  I have an enhanced drivers license and have made the call to CBSA when entering Canadian waters.  Never a problem.  I haven't been approached by any one at all.  You guys must all look suspicious...................

BD                          ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Just a matter of the 'lucky' draw I expect. I've had a slightly rougher time coming back that going over by land though the time the UK college kid ran into my outboard the US agent stopped asking questions, went and got the kids passport and told me to take him off the side and work out whatever I needed. That was not my favorite day of fishing but at least the agent didn't make it worse. It probably didn't hurt that I was most likely transparent with shock from having my 1 month old outboard being ran into!

I will add to Rick that I cannot tolerate any law officer with a power complex. I've snapped three times in my life in such situations. Cost me one time and the other two times it was a 'draw.' A few other times I kept the steam from escaping my ears and apparently the officer didn't notice my normally pale skin turn fire red ;D

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

grasslakebasspro

Yesterday morning prior to taking off for the Detroit River BFL, I called the Canadian toll free number.  An agent initially answered the phone and he asked where I would be fishing in Canada.  I told him I would be near Peelee Island.  He told me he needed to transfer me to the Windsor office.

The agent in the Windsor office was unsure where Peelee Island was located.  She asked me if I would be near Toronto or the Thousand Islands.  Eventually she felt she had an idea where I was fishing at.

She then asked me for the following:

Boat Registration Number
Boat Color
Inboard or Outboard
My Name and Birthday
Did I have any firearms
Did I have over 10,000 dollars in currency on me
What time did I expect to be off the water.

I had to provide the same information for my co-angler.

She did give me a number to write down and carry with me while in Canadian water.

I was unaware I needed an enhanced Michigan drivers license or a passport with me.  That was never mentioned at the BFL tournament meeting or by the agents I spoke with on the phone.

Skulley

The enhances license is for returning to the United States from Canada however it is used to identify you as a U.S. citizen.  You are not required to show it unless you are asked for it.  If they want to see it they will ask you to go to one of the Canadian ports of call.  I have never been asked to go to a port of call be it Amhersburg or Colchester or any of the others where I have been near.  As long as you co operate you should have no problems.  I have been calling them everytime I intend to cross the border and have never had a problem.  The worse part about this is sometimes the wait for an answer is a bit too long.  That's where a blue tooth comes in handy.  I don't stop fishing to wait for them to answer.  I just keep going until they do.  Seems that as long as your intentions are good, there are no issues. 

BD                                         ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com