Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:53:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

problems fishing Canadian waters....

Started by Barb Elliott, June 21, 2011, 03:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barb Elliott

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20110617/NEWS03/306179983

This is a story about someone fishing waters in the Thousand Island region of upstate NY - got stopped in Canadian water, got fined and almost had his boat confiscated if he wasn't going to pay the fine....
Anyone have any similar experiences or know of anything like this happening??? Our NYBCF is having a tourney oput of  Massena later in the summer and we will (hopefully) be fishing a lot of canadian waters.....thanks,....

fiker

I stopped by the Canadian customs, Michigan,  and Ontario Natural Resources booths at the NOVI Showspan show and asked specifically how I could be legal when venturing into Canadian waters.  What they told me to do was exactly what the fishermen in the article did. 

Have a Canadian license and sport card.
Have either my passport or enhanced driver's license.
Do not anchor, moor to a Canadian boat, or touch ground on Canadian soil.
Don't bring live bait in from Michigan.
Make sure my boat was equipped with both MI and Ontario safety equipment.

They flat out told me that if I followed these things I would have no problem fishing in Ontario waters, nor returning to Michigan.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

djkimmel

That story sounds ridiculous. EVERY single Canadian border/customs person I've spoke to has told me that you have not entered Canada if you don't anchor, tie up to a Canadian boat or touch shore. A few have even told me that anchoring doesn't count (which is just more examples of getting multiple answers from different people.

I even had a couple young, but very nice officers tell me you don't have to report unless you run significantly up an inland river from the Great Lakes.

I personally go only by the answers that have been consistently given to me by all the officers I've asked which is the not landing on shore, not anchoring and not tying to a Canadian boat or dock.

I think these officers should be investigated. There's only two possibilities in my mind: 1) the US anglers were rude or did some other problem-creating action that wasn't reported; or 2) one or both of the officers had really bad hemorrhoids and was taking it out on the world (which would make trouble for non-countrymen since we are a race with many 'you're not from around here' types in it - unfortunately).

If the anglers didn't do anything to unreasonable to instigate the worse, these officers are the kind of bad abusers of power I can't stand to know are out there. If the anglers did not do anything that legally accounts for landing in Canada, it's a shame they are not in the position to bring a suit against the Customs department. Sometimes the legal system and the press are the only way to weed out the power abusers and the people who don't do the right thing about it.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I would like to hear an explanation from the officers on why they felt they had to 'harass' US anglers. It would be cool if the press would try to make this happen. Otherwise, it might be necessary to put pressure on their government by informing anglers and boaters not travel to (or buy stuff from) Canada.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Bender

This story doesn't surprise me at all, especially in Gananoque. I crossed there many times when I lived in Upstate NY and always had trouble, and that was by land in my truck. I tend to believe your theory #2 Dan. I think that the officers that come to exhibitions and have a lot of contact with the public are not those who are stuck out patrolling the border. I like Canada, but I sure that that border. It's the worst that I have experienced in the world.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

djkimmel

That is useful information though very sad.

rangerfan

So your drift fishing the south shore of st.clair......you get into a school of fish and you drop your power poles....are you anchored?

mikesmiph

Anthony Adams

Anthony Adams - As your director I believe in promoting the enjoyment of fishing to all. I encourage good sportsmanship and preserving of natural resources. I strongly encourage all individuals regardless of age, race, or gender to be more involved in the world of fishing

twodabay

Quote from: fiker on June 21, 2011, 09:16:38 AM
I stopped by the Canadian customs, Michigan,  and Ontario Natural Resources booths at the NOVI Showspan show and asked specifically how I could be legal when venturing into Canadian waters.  What they told me to do was exactly what the fishermen in the article did. 

Have a Canadian license and sport card.
Have either my passport or enhanced driver's license.
Do not anchor, moor to a Canadian boat, or touch ground on Canadian soil.
Don't bring live bait in from Michigan.
Make sure my boat was equipped with both MI and Ontario safety equipment.

They flat out told me that if I followed these things I would have no problem fishing in Ontario waters, nor returning to Michigan.

I hate to break the news, but you can still get fined!  If you get an officer who wants to "GO BY THE BOOK" you must report in before fishing. You can hear all you want, but when you get the ticket-see if the guy who told you that will pay it for you. My guess is he won't. The law is if you enter into Canada, any form of entry, you legally must report directly to Customs. $1,000.00 if you don't and  if you get the officer that want's the write up-they will write the ticket. Try peeing over the side and get caught-that will cost you $500.00. 

LennyB

We've been checked multiple times this year and last and the Canadian Officers just wanted to varifie everyone had a license. Those who didn't were hit with a fine. As far as going to Canada, it's not a problem, it's when you come back and get stopped by the US Border Patrol is the ones to be concerned about.

On opening weekend of the Canadian opener some friends from Downriver Bass were fishing an inland lake in Ontario for the weekend. Saturday night around midnight they got a knock on the door and it was a Canadian conservation officer wanting to search their room and boat on a tip that they were catching and keeping bass beyond the limit. After searching them and talking to them he relised they were just some hardcore bass guys that release everything they catch and told them to keep enjoying themselves. The Canadian Officers in general are good to the good guys and not so nice to the law breakers. Play by the rules and you won't have many problems, has been my experience with them.

djkimmel

That's been my general experience too in our area.

Revtro

Yep, it's always been a pretty easy thing.  HOWEVER, I just spoke to the Canadian Border Patrol.  There is a new law in affect since this past week.  I posted about it in the Fishing Great Lakes section.  Things just changed for the worse.  Not good.  Go read it.
Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

Dan

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

fiker

I guess I'm gonna wait and see how this plays out for others.  Right now, I'm just a little peeved off.

I've always obeyed the law, played by all the rules.   All I want to do is fish the south shore, and a few spots in the lower Detroit River.   Not gonna smuggle, break any possession limits.  Nothing.

If I go into Canada, and call, they can determine to send me to an inspection center.  I don't know where these places are, nor am I sure I could even find them from the water. 

My first inclination is that this is the last year I obtain a Canadian license.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

LAPORTE

Quote from: fiker on July 13, 2011, 11:28:06 AM
My first inclination is that this is the last year I obtain a Canadian license.

I'll second that Rick.

I'm going to roll the dice for the northern open coming up in sandusky....
2008 Skeeter 20I " Thanks Robin"

River Walker

I go out of Lakeside,Ohio quite often to fish Pelee Island.The only thing I've ever been told is that you have to call and report that you're going to enter Canadian water 30 minutes prior to doing so.Once you make the call,you have to report who all is in the boat.At that point,they will make the determination whether you can cross or not.Unfortunately,if you're already in Canadian waters,they can(and sometimes do)require you to head to(what they determine)the nearest customs agency so you can be checked.For those of you that don't believe this to be true,just last Sunday a tad north of the border near North Bass Island,four Canadian Border Patrol boats along with a helicopter were nabbing walleye trollers that strayed across the border without calling to report in first.We personally watched them have two boats following them to the customs check area.I was told that they just started to enforce the call-in law in earnest on July 1st.If you cross over the border without first calling in,it is a $1000.00 fine-minimum!

djkimmel

Someone in the US definitely ticked off someone in Canada recently because this is all new. This is some kind of vendetta or tit-for-tat action that I would have thought the Canadians were above. I will keep hunting for what set this off because I promise it is out there. I'm betting this comes down to one Canadian politician or bureaucrat with a bee in their bonnet and this could all be solved by identifying that person and putting the pressure on them to back off. I really did not expect to see the day when Canada would be more harsh than the US in border issues.

I don't even think they are enforcing their own regulations correctly. This is a 'reinterpretation' of existing regulations. And it is a poor one.

djkimmel

It has been reported that the provincial government is refunding the money to the original anglers in New York, but what about all these new 'criminals' (anglers)? I guaranty that Canada will lose a lot more money in lost license revenue that they gain in these wasteful and capricious fines without even factoring in the cost of hassling (harassing) harmless anglers and boaters.

Not to mention the impact of bad will on voluntary travel choices to Canada by Americans.

VinceR

Actually, I don't believe that these regulations are "new". It was announced in 2008 that these regulations would be put in place (to take effect in 2009, but not sure of date).

What DID happen was that the the enforcement of the regulations was put on "hold", pending further review of how the enforcement would affect recreational boaters/fishermen, and giving the border states time to develop and make the "Enhanced Drivers' Licenses" available.

There may also have been some concern over how boaters would notify the respective border agencies when crossing into foreign waters.

I believe that what has happened recently, is the result of someone jumping the gun (on removing the enforcement "hold"). It (the "hold") was either lifted without properly notifying all parties involved, or, someone in the Canadian Border Services Agency came across a "proposed" date for lifting the hold, and took it to be the "official" date that enforcement would commence (without verification).

How this happened is just my theory.