Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:33:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Paul Ryan

Started by jgip087, October 21, 2012, 09:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgip087

I was reading some articles on Paul Ryan and thought I would share a couple of them.  Ryan is an avid hunter and fisherman.  He supports increased access to public lands for hunting, fishing, and trapping.  Congressman Ryan knows the importance of maintaining lead in our fishing tackle and bullets to ensure that we all can afford to participate in the wonderful outdoor sports God has graced us with!  I really hope every Republican comes out to vote on Election Day in Michigan because if Romney/Ryan win this state, they will win the Presidency/Vice Presidency and protect our hunting and fishing rights.  The next president will probably appoint 1-2 Supreme Court Justices and the last vote on the 2nd Amendment was only 5-4, this is a very important election for all of us! 

http://www.odumagazine.com/fishingnews/2012/09/paul-ryan-shops-at-bass-pro-for-daughters-hunting-gear/

http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/features/226606
www.sure-life.com - please help ensure the
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

YpsiBass

Seems like this might be a bad idea, posting regarding a particular candidate rather than posting about a specific law to discuss.  Just a thought.

jgip087

The law in question was the Second Amendment.  I personally think the Constitution is pretty dang important.  How about the Sportsmans Act? These are critical issues we, men and women who enjoy the outdoors, should consider when voting.  Every time these guys stick up for us and the Second Amendment will only be altered by the Supreme Court
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

YpsiBass

Good old Google helping with the whole research angle...

http://www.sportsmenvote.com/issues/public-lands-access/

From the site, which is nice enough to provide links to the source providing the information, regarding Mitt Romney:

In a recent interview in the Reno Gazette-Journal, Mitt Romney stated that he does not know why the United States owns so much land, and that he has to study the purpose of it. While governor of Massachusetts, Romney cut funding for state parks by $7 million and the system ranked 48 out of 50 in per-capita park funding.

Same site, same page, regarding President Obama:

While as president, Barack Obama has worked to add public wilderness, signing the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009, which created two million acres of public land. However, there have been attempts by his administration to limit shooters from using public lands, which they later decided not to do.

Additionally, the Conservation Reserve Program is currently supported by President Obama, but Mitt Romney hasn't stated an official position regarding it.  When you vote for Ryan, you get his other half too as a package deal.

Is this the Sportsmans Act you're referencing
http://www.sportsmenvote.com/sportsmens-heritage-act-receives-overwhelming-support-passes-house/

The House approved the bill with a vote of 274 to 146, which seems to point to bipartisan support. 

jgip087

We will just have to wait and see.  If the Second Amendment is altered, it's only a guess what happens from that point.  Currently, 5-4. Can we risk it?  I don't want to take that chance...  We also need to ensure Stabenow and Levin are behind a long term solution for us as well because the Senate can be a tough place to negotiate.  One Senator from Montana lumped the Sportsman's Act bill in with about 15-20 others, most have nothing to do with hunting/fishing, to try and get Republicans to vote for the total package.  They really need to separate this bill back out because it could stand alone and probably pass 60-40, 70-30.   
survival of your catch
www.poorboysbaits.com

Team houston

My opinion, Obama could care less about hunting fishing and all outdoor sports. This time they decided not to limit shooters. If he wins the election, LOOK OUT!

YpsiBass

While I'd like to continue eating tasty wild animals, there are just too many other issues that have a higher priority for me to even consider voting Republican.

bassinman#1

Don't worry jgip807, Romney and Ryan will win!!!!!

Mojo

Paul Ryan believes that fish farms are impregnating fish against their will - and thats not what God wants, and in their believe that Government should control everyones reproductive rights, - they will shut down all fish farms immediately !!

But Mitt Ronmey believes the Obama administration was wrong to loan money to the car companies  - AND believed they should "Let Detroit go bankrupt." He of course - said this to a southern non union state that has just won its 3rd automotive plant in its state - a republican state.........

lol..... Lets be real... Obamas admin has done NOTHING to hurt our outdoors, but they have sent $650 million to clean up landfills that 'could' affect wildlife.  Thats sounds like a straight forward kind of guy.

And besides Mitt being born on Michigan soil, this is just another republican puppet who, once in office, would only continue to weaken Michigan while strengthening his loyal Republican southern states.   THINK about it.  
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

bigmojet

Romney wanted GM to through bankruptcy just like every other company would have to. What Obama did was pay off unions for political reasons and let the bondholders die.

GM would have survived a bankruptcy and have been better off because it would have forced them to really address issues on the business model vs being propped with gov't $,

LennyB

I don't know about everyone else, but, I'm in a lot better shape today than I was 4 years ago. I work for Ford and we are as strong as ever!!! Couldn't say that 4 years ago.
Also, I put my house up for sale to upgrade to a nicer home and it only took a week to sell. The realtor said sales are booming and they are as busy as ever and prices are continuing to climb. The average listing in the Canton, MI area, which is a standard good mix of blue and white collar homes, is 1 to 2 weeks on the market. That was unheard of the last change of the guard. Things are steadily going in the right direction from my neighborhood.  ;D

Mojo

Most historians agree the crash of 08 fell the economy, housing, markets and credit freezes faster and harder than the crash of 29. The 2 years following were textbook government meltdown.

AND it's agreed it was due to the Republican 2 wars, severe tax reductions, and a lack of credit restrictions.

No government, on earth, recovers from that in 2 years. So stop the silliness. We were lucky. Obama propped the economy, provided credit when all banks wouldn't, spent to keep people at work, and now it seems 2011 was the bottom, and now we are coming out.

It makes no sense to Reward the people that caused this. But it does makes sense to give the guys who inheritted  worse economy since 1932, a chance to untie his hands, and fight with both hands.

Dan

"Not in the clamor of the crowded streets nor in the shouts and plaudits of the throng, but within oneself lies victory or defeat."

Frank

and more people have time to fish now because they are unemployed.  and when we fish thursday mornings there are a lot of other boats out there partying and drinking by noon because they are unemployed too.  I even have more time to fish because there is less to do at work, though it's harder to afford now because I had 5 pay cuts in 2011 and 2012.

bigmojet

I am doing better as well than 4 years ago but u cant look at individual cases but the country as a whole. I do not like the direction this country is headed and am embarrassed  by the actions this administration has shown.

When the real truth comes out on the Bengahzi attacks which probably wont be after the election, you will find either total ineptness or the biggest cover-up in US politics which dwarfs Watergate.

I don't think we will recognize our country if we have another  4 years of this president and the decisions he will make without having to answer to being reelected.

God Bless the USA as this is one of the most important times in our history.

Frank

My ex is actually doing a lot better now.  She is fully retired and her boyfriend works very little and is close to retirement.  They get a decent pay check from the govt to not work.  They also have great insurance coverage.  They are covered for everything and they can even call for a ride to get there and back.  This is all completely free thanks to the govt. So at 29 years old she is fully retired and happy.  She is doing better for sure.  I should add, she even just welcomed her new daughter into the world for free.  What a great thing the govt does for those of us willing to stop working and just relax, maybe even have some more kids.

LennyB

Just imagine if the government let the auto industry and the millions that supply them go bankrupt, instead of paying the taxes for the good of all, they woud be in the food stamp line with them.

djkimmel

Overall, I've like that we generally avoid this type of topic on here and have received complaints in the past when they have come up in the grain like 'what does this have to do with Great Lakes bass,' etc.

I do recognize that our government and their actions are and should be very important to all of us for the outdoors we love, and for all the other ways they impact our life, but these topics tend to easily get out of hand, going personal and ugly on many forums and other public discussion places.

I'll leave it open and up as long as you all continue to keep it NOT personal and respect each others' opinions. I say it but probably not enough - you all do a really good job of this the vast majority of the time making it easy on me and the Global Moderators. Thank you.

Though, to some, these topics seem like they don't fit within Great Lakes bass, in reality, I think most of us realize that our government, DNRs and other elected or public bodies do affect our sport and the natural resources our pastime rely on greatly. I'd like it if we could discuss pretty much any related topic in an adult, mature and productive manner all the time. We, here especially, have more in common than different. We would all be better off if we can do that and show everyone else how to do it (including our elected officials).

One key thing I think I need to point out - if any of you personally are not willing to review any information posted by another member, please remember that you cannot expect the other member to take the time to read the information you post or link to. Common courtesy often makes for productive discussion.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mojo

And now, back to the show ....... ::)

djkimmel

Or back to fishing...! I know we can all agree about that! (I do hope everyone does take advantage of the important right to vote though... and fish. Fish too!)

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.