Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:13:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Hot Foot

Started by Andy, December 29, 2005, 09:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Ok everyone the Champ need a new toy and I quite sure it going to be a T&H or Bobs Hot Foot. Now my question will I need a longer throttle cable running from the Merc to the hot foot ( longer than whats on it now ) and is the slide plate a good thing to buy also,and trim control what do you guys have for that. Do you use the factory control or aftermarket.  ??? ??? And whats better the on the hot foots the one that runs the cable from the bottom or the top my merc is a 98.  :-\'

ronhuntfish

Well, I don't think that I can answer all the questions.

I do have the slide plate, but I really don't need it, since rarely is anyone but myself driving the boat. I have never had to move it. As long as you get it in the right spot, you may not need it.

I have the trim and jack plate controls on the steering column. The idea of the hot foot is to keep both hands on the wheel, so it's nice if your trim control is at the wheel also. On occasion I will use the throttle trim control if I am idling.

I can't answer the cable questions, but someone might.

djkimmel

Boy - been a while since someone asked the throttle cable length question - I think my friends at D&R Sports Service have told me the cable needs to be a couple feet longer for most boats for the Hot Foot (if I have that wrong, it's my memory not their advice that is faulty. You may have enough extra length in your existing throttle cable depending on where it is positioned now, but Mercs I've seen don't normally have a lot of extra throttle cable.

Someone recommended from their own experience before too if you leave the original throttle cable unattached, but where it lays inside your deck - maybe wrap the motor end in the back of your cap, you have a quick backup in case you ever need it.

I've only used the T&H Hot Foot for years now. I love it for safety and control. i've only had one spring wear out over the years. I keep a spare spring in the boat. My Hot Foot is an old one with the throttle cable attached at the bottom. I've heard some guys prefer the deluxe cable on the top models - I just haven't used one.

The slide plate is most useful if you expect to change boat models and keep the Hot Foot, or have different people run your boat, or have limited space under your dash for installation.

I have the after market long arm trim/tilt and jackplate switches installed behing my steering wheel. I can easily reach them with my finger tips with both hands on the wheel. You can get one switch or two. I've tried the buttons on the steering wheel - more of a problem if you have hydraulic, and the button panel on the floor for my foot - I had problems with that one - too clumsy with my foot and I think the buttons are too close together for big foot like mine.

The long arm switches are readily available - I got mine at D&R. I don't recall the brand name off the top of my head. I've seen them at other places here and there. I don't see them in the BPS big fishing catalog, but they may be in the marine one.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Andy

Thanks guys Once again the help was usefull.

DOWD

The cable needs to be 2 foot longer.

djkimmel

Quote from: DOWD on December 30, 2005, 12:29:08 PM
The cable needs to be 2 foot longer.

Well, there you go from a champion expert...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Andy

Sorry for all the questions guys but the cable replacement is that something I can do or do things need to be adjusted once its on?????? And Happy New Year to all

DOWD

Andy,
I have install HF in all three of my boats, one javelin, one stratos and my champ. All three took 2 foot longer cables, and the adjustment was easy, but again I was dealing with Johnson and Evinrude motors, which I am acustomed to working on. The adjustment of the throttle linkage is pretty simple.