Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 03:51:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Tahoe not getting to running temp??

Started by Waterfoul, February 02, 2011, 01:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waterfoul

Noticed on the way in this morning that the temp gauge on my 98 Tahoe 5.7 Vortec 4x4 wasn't getting over about 150 degrees.  To the best of my memory I thought it usually ran at about 200 degrees.  I get heat from the heater... just like normal.  T-stat issue?  Don't smell antifreeze running or at rest.  Doesn't appear to be leaking anything anywhere.

Thoughts??
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

karol

fluid level ok? i know on my older pick up it has a slow leak sometimes. just a thought about that. might be this colder weather could  be the cause too.
if you keep it inside check where you parked it to see if there's any fluid under it.  don't let your dog drink it cause it'll send him to the big tree in the sky.

Waterfoul

Checked the "overflow" jug under the hood just a few minutes ago.  It's at the "cold" line... right where it should be because it is cold out!  Didn't see anything under the truck this morning when I moved it to blow out the driveway.

No dog, so no worries.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Redbone

I'm guessing that its your temp gage/sensor on your engine.

Waterfoul

Great, moved to where it won't be seen by anyone.

Thanks to the guys who answered before it was moved.  ::)

mikesmiph

Wolverines

This definately isn't something I know a ton about, but if you weren't getting heat like normal I'd say start with replacing the T-stat.  Happened to me once and that fixed it.  Since you say the heats fine, I'd chalk it up to it being F'n cold outside!!!  Temp pry goes up when it idles I bet.  I'd think cruisen down the road in these temps are gonna make it run a little cooler.  Now when they run hot, thats what freaks me out  :o
Plan Early for Fall of 2012!!!  Check out the NBAA Lake Michigan Fall Challenge:
http://www.nbaa-bass.com/pages/divisions/div_details12.php?division_id=217

Cy

Hey,

Like we discussed earlier...replace the thermostat on it.  This normally occurs when the 'stat sticks open or cycles slowly.  If you need help let me know.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Waterfoul

Cy, it will be parked in front of my store all day tomorrow.  Take care of it will ya?  LOL!!

Didn't have a chance to take a look at the t-stat housing... is there a bunch of other things I need to remove to get at it??

Cy

There shouldn't be too much stuff in the way.  It should be right on top in the front.  Should be two bolts, take it out, clean up the gasket surfaces, slap on a new gasket and thermostat and bolt it back on.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Redbone

Skulley

So your fluid is up to level.  It could also be your radiator cap.  If the cap is not keeping the system under pressure properly, you will lose heat there too.  Replace that as well as your thermostat and you should have it.  I have always made it a habit to replace the radiator cap when replacing a thermostat.  Just recently I had the same problem on my 03 Dodge Truck.  The whole system is pressurized on that vehicle as well as the overflow bottle.  I discovered that the bottle had a seam leak around the cap area.  I didn't lose any coolant but the system did not stay pressurized while running.  The vehicle ran cool and I wasn't getting enough heat.  Changing the cap may be the ticket here.  Shouldn't cost you over 5 or 6 bucks for one.  If that doesn't work, then I would say Cy is correct about the thermostat.  Worked in the engine cooling lab at Chrysler for the first 8 years of my career there.  The most common solution to your problem was the radiator cap.  After the cooling lab I spent a few years in NVH or Noise Vibration and Harshness.  Now I work in the ride and handling group or Core Vehicle Dynamics Lab. I will have 26 years there come March 11, 2011.  My whole time at Chrysler has been in Engineering in the Labs. 

Good luck and let me know how it goes. 

BD                           ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Cy

That is a very good point BD!  I meant mention the cap when I was talking to Mike on phone.  I completely agree...start with the cap...no tools required!

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net