Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:47:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

New Fishfinder GPS

Started by Bassvergnugen, November 05, 2010, 10:44:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bassvergnugen

I'm going to make the leap shortly and get one of the newer fishfinder/GPS units. Still a little torn between which one and currently pouring over the posts to help me decide. The question I have that I haven't seen posted yet is about the sonar reading at speeds over 20 mph.

What should I expect to be able to see when moving at higher speeds? Will the units show contour, structure and fish while traveling at 15/20 mph? My current model (Navman 4150) doesn't really show a lot of anything other than depth. Just want to know what to expect.

Thanks,
Joe

fasttrack

My HB setup with shoot-thru transducer for on-plane only gives me depth but no detail. I assumed that I didn't get it set right in the epoxy but maybe that's the way it always is (?). I lose graph detail at 20-25mph. Others who know more about this will probably reply, but that's been my experience.
Interstate Batteries      Rocket Marketing
Fast Track Appraisals   West Marine
Nemesis Baits              Kustom Kicker Jigs
CD's Engine Service     J&H Oil

McCarter

i still need to get a high speed transducer for my HB 798.  Anytime i get over 15 mph i lose everything and the depth usually goes into the thousands.  Luckily for me i only fish kent lake and have learned the hazards to avoid over the years, except for the boat ramp when they draw the lake down :o

McCarter himself :-\'

LipRip

u go 15mph on kent!? u r breaking the law sir

fiker

I have the 898 SI unit on my dash, and the 788c on the bow.  I have them interlinked together.  I also have the high speed transducer epoxied into the bottom & connected to the 898 via a Y cable. 

The high speed set up for the 898 works perfectly.  It is everything I wanted when I decided to go this route.  With the Y cable the electronics just do everything automatically.  No switches to throw, no settings to make, .... nothing.  Just enjoy it.

There is however, one improvement that I'd make if I were  a Humminbird engineer. 

The chart speed doesn't automatically adjust itself to which transducer I'm using.  So if I set it at say 5 when I'm using the SI, the it will continue to be at 5 when it switches over to the other transducer at higher speeds.   I'd like to be able to set it to run faster at high speeds. 
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390