Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Gas money for boaters

Started by KG, August 31, 2010, 03:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

travisx15

sorry boaters, my point was not made i just want to say this should be fun. boaters and non boaters need each other. we should help each other out. dont get mad at someone for not knowing they need to pay gas money. this website is a great tool to learn how to get into this sport. i bet a lot of newcomers dont know some of this stuff and dont take the time to research stuff like gas money. maybe instead of gas money for boaters there should be a welcome to the sport/tips for new co-anglers about what to expect. a simple you should give $50 to the boat owner before you start, to help out with his costs is a cool thing to do and a way to make friends instead of listing all your expenses and saying they better pay and pay now.
what i would like to know is what rods and what tackle should i bring.

Mojo

Quote from: travisx15 on December 31, 2010, 07:59:42 PM
boaters and non boaters need each other. dont get mad at someone for not knowing they need to pay gas money. i bet a lot of newcomers dont know some of this stuff and dont take the time to research stuff like gas money. maybe instead of gas money for boaters there should be a welcome to the sport/tips for new co-anglers about what to expect. a simple you should give $50 to the boat owner before you start, to help out with his costs is a cool thing to do and a way to make friends instead of listing all your expenses and saying they better pay and pay now.

What worries me here TRAV (may I call you TRAV) is there are 3 pages of some really, I mean really good input here..... From expectant and non-expectant boaters to non-boaters who learned to pay at first light or pay at the end of the day.  3 pages of solid ettique input from some of the more renouned fishermen of the Great Lakes ...... and you didnt hear em.

Fact: BFL boaters spend (above what you spent)  $80 on practice, $20 due to poor gas mileage hauling a boat, $6 - $10 on ramp fees and $80 on tournament day MINIMUM  - to "get you on fish". He's $200 under and ppl wonder why they get grumpy when you treat him like a service. I'd advise going back and re-reading this thread, sit back and absorb this thought:

"Nearly every boater is deeply connected to their rig, and these tournaments are structured that they have to accept perfect strangers into their home for 8 hours". You are only there to sign his card stating he didnt cheat. He doesnt need you for anything else, not a friendship, not to give you lures. So if anything better occurs, its gravy for you. And only YOU will determine how much  you gain (from tips up to great friendships) each time you enter their home".

Mojo

Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

MadWags

My man Mojo! ;)

I must say that when I did fish BFL's I always treated my co-anglers with the utmost respect. I always tried to make sure they caught fish and never front ended any co. More than one on this site can attest to that. More often that not my co-anglers had good success and many cashed a check.

Now that's just me. I know that there are anglers out there who operate differently, but that is part of the game of being a co and you must accept that because you know it going into the deal.
Mojo is correct and has his facts in order.

The other option is to fish team circuits where you know your fellow angler and can work out the expenses prior. You and your partner can work together to catch your fish.

But if you are going to fish the BFLs don't expect your angler to put you on fish or to be concerned about your standings. Without these expectations you may be pleasantly surprised when your boater tries to help you out.

That all being said, you should always give your boater gas money, because as a co-angler it is the right thing to do. If you don't, you may soon have a bad reputation as a co just as some have a bad reputation as a boater for things already discussed.

And when you read my posts in the future, please realize that I am the forum clown. ;D
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Frank

I have to admit, when I take Mojo out on my baot he always tries to give me gas money.  I always decline.  We went out on a little lake next to our houses for 2 hours or so.  He hands me a 10 or a 20 for gas.  I explained that we came to the lake with 3 gallons of gas, we now have 2.95 gallons of gas.  It was also almost a 2 mile drive to get to the lake, wich is another 1/6 gallon of gas.  But I did drink his beer, way worth it.
We did however go out to Kent for a tourney and that would have made complete sense to accept the gas money, it is a long drive.  Had my boat motor not died at the launch, we would have even used boat gas.
But, as a boater of a little boat that doesnt use much gas, it is really nice to be offered gas money or whatever because I do spend a lot of time working at keeping the boat clean and running.  This includes buying a new swivel seat for the back, which I don't use. 
I might try fishing one of those tourneys as a non boater this year.  I think after listening to, and fishing with Mojo, I know whats excpected of me and I will make sure not to dissappoint my boater.  I'm just happy to be out there on a boat big enough that I'm not going to drown.

Frank

River Rat

Do NOT ask Mojo how much gear to bring!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Bad example!!!!!!! ;D

Scott

Sorry Mikey, couldn't resist..... :-*
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

MadWags

By the time your ready to move to another spot, the back of the boat looks like someone tipped over a rod display at BassPro. :o ;D

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

t-bone

So Mojo is really just paying for the "over 50lb weight limit" on his gear.
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

capt charlie's charters

well mr trav, my man T-bone can tell you some horror stories as a first year co and why he'll probably wait until he's comfortable enough with going as a boater.  Many boaters (myself included) started as a co, in my case I didn't have the knowledge with the big waters and felt it would be unfair to subject another angler to my ingnorance.  Well after a couple of years and drawing some phenomanol sticks I entered the waters as a boater.  Had some great practices and some horrible tournaments, 2009 four of my co's cashed a check and I didn't even come close...great guide, lousy fisherman.  Entering the BFL as a co is no guarantee your going to draw a great fisherman, but I've met and made some friends that would never had entered my life otherwise.
My practice is to discuss with my co the night we meet exactly what I have planned and that I'am open to suggestions should my expectations fall short.  5 - 6 rods and a minimum of tackle, your not going to go through every bag and box you bring, ain't gonna happen.  Respect the boat, be honest if your not able to back a trailer up, you can always hold the rope.  $40 is a min with the waters that are fished, enjoy yourself, try to learn something from the experience.
capt charlie   

Mojo

Quote from: t-bone on January 31, 2011, 12:24:25 PM
So Mojo is really just paying for the "over 50lb weight limit" on his gear.

;D ;D uhhh....... guilty to charges as read ...... including the BPS rod display ....I am NOT the guy to ask when it comes to bringing minimal gear.....but hey ....... how many times can yo say in a BFL that when the coangler (me) gets on a bite, that the Coangler can throw plastics and cranks up to the front of the boat to help out the Boater .... happened on 3 of my 5 events ... having the premium gear at my finger tips means I NEVER have to ask (but I will beg when Im getting spanked) for a hot bait !  ;D ;D

Frank

Im actually amazed... You guys consider Mojo messy?  I actually went out and got a few lure wraps and rod covers because i was intrigued by how organized he is.  I always wonder when i pull up to the weigh in if some of those guys even fished out of their sparkly clean boat.  I'm gonna take some pictures of my boat before, then after opening day tourney on Pontiac lake.  8 hours, 2 guys, 15 rods, 4 tackle bags, a cooler, A trolling motor thats WAY to big, a net which is only there to catch errant treble hooks, and we pack it all into 15 feet of boat.  It looks like a yard sale.

Frank

jim 2row

I also have alot of buddies that are co anglers that prefish several times out of there boat. So Mojo I dont think its like the boater is the only one with cost. Alot of these guys are unsure about one thing or another I think and thats why they are co anglers.  I have quite a few guys I know who have been out with Trombly, Wagner, Said and these guys tried real hard to put there co anglers on fish even when they wanted to get there kicker. Think that is the way it should be myself, but no big deal to me cause if I ever decide to fish a bfl I would try the boater side. Just alot of different ideas on here on what is to be expected and I think its just one of those things you have to feel out on that day with that person.

Colin Linton

Interesting read  :)

This is a universal question that has similar response.  The normal practice over here (Australia) is to offer your boater/s fuel money.  With the size of our lakes somewhat smaller than yours, $20 is seen as fair!  However with fuel prices here $5.00+ a gallon at the moment this may change. 

I guess at the end of the day it's the right thing to do.

An outsiders view on a common question!

Regards and Thanks
Colin
Don't let your shadow be the only thing you cast today!

Mojo

Quote from: Colin Linton on February 02, 2011, 06:48:29 PM
Interesting read  :)

I guess at the end of the day it's the right thing to do.
An outsiders view on a common question!
Regards and Thanks
Colin

Glad to have you peek in from so far away ! What you  are observing here are some great folks fishing on one of greatest bodies of water in the world, Lake St Clair and Erie, and theres more than enough fish to go around for everyone. And even though there is 430 sq miles on LSC and 9940 sq miles on lake erie, the small mouth (and largemouth) community is pretty tight.

Colin Linton

Thanks Mojo,

I was lucky enough to be invited to this forum by Mr Mike Smith and am sure glad he did!  This forum is like your lakes is HUGE  :o and it will take me a while to get through. 

This particular topic interested me as it is something that has been discussed at length on our forums here at home. 

As for the members on this forum you are right, I was welcomed from the very first post I made and my hope is to one day fish the very waters of which you speak. 

Till that happens I will continue to read with interest and offer my opinion or knowledge where I can. 

Thanks again!
Colin   

capt charlie's charters

greetings Colin, great to hear from someone so far with our same interests.  Australia having been one of the countries I've always wanted to visit along with New Zealand.  If your able to make it up this way, I'm sure there would be no shortage of boaters interested in showng off our waters.

Would love to hear what types of fresh waters and fish you have to pursue.

charlie

Skulley

I have had Mojo as a back boater.  One of the best I have ever fished with.  I think his lunch box is bigger than his tackle box.  He brings enough food to feed an army.  It is a wonder that guy doesn't put on any weight.  I gain 10 to 15 pounds every time he has been my back boater.  He pays gas up front and has the biggest lunch box.  I don't care how much tackle he brings as long as he brings that lunch box.  My kind of back boater.  Kudos Mojo!!!

BD                       ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

MadWags

darn I have missed out on the lunch but the bourbon has been more than satisfying. ;D

Colin Linton

Quote from: capt charlie's charters on February 03, 2011, 10:30:49 PM
greetings Colin, great to hear from someone so far with our same interests.  Australia having been one of the countries I've always wanted to visit along with New Zealand.  If your able to make it up this way, I'm sure there would be no shortage of boaters interested in showng off our waters.

Would love to hear what types of fresh waters and fish you have to pursue.

charlie

Thanks Charlie,

I am currently drafting up a post for the forum to give everyone an idea on the fishing in Australia!  Techniques, Gear, Fish and Tournaments etc. 

Most sought after species in Australia (Freshwater) would have to be the Barramundi.  Australian Bass are very popular (pictured in my profile)  however I will not rabble here too much now.  I will endeavour to get some of the info up before the end of the weekend.

Stay tuned  ;D

Cheers
Colin