Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:44:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Gas money for boaters

Started by KG, August 31, 2010, 03:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadWags

I don't. Haven't fished a BFL in years. Fish team tournaments and split all costs. Don't need no CO waypointing all my chit, and your right I am not a charter captain, so I am not going to take an uninvited guest fishing for a day for free. LOL! ;D

No seriously your right it doesn't make or break the deal, but why should a CO ask such a question. Pony up bro and do the right thing. ::)
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

motocross269

I think paying the night before sets the tone....I also offer to buy the Ice and pay any launch fees...I think it just sends a message to the boater that you respect his equipment and the time that he put into prefishing...At least for BFLs...

I have fished with some Cos that were college kids, retired or laid off and I refuse money from them..I would rather have them be able to get out and fish more...

Wags...What is really bad is when your boater doesn't have much and the Co angler has to cough up some coordinates to get a shot at a check...That happens and it is like selling your soul sometimes....So it goes both ways...It is pretty tough to get boaters to erase the trails and waypoints at the end of the day..

I would think it would be pretty hard for a Co to steal waypoints unless he has a handheld hidden in his shorts or something.. ;D

MadWags

I agree.

I once made a guy strip before I let him in my boat. ;D
Chuckled when I saw the Argile Socks. :D

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

TCook

I have heard about COs waypointing there boaters stuff in bfls sneaking around with there handhelds or cell phones that have GPS. That is complete BS if you ask me and they should be thrown in the lake if caught, all the money and time a boater spends to find spots you should respect that. As far as Gas money I know its not the way it should be done but I like to wait til the end of the day because there is always the chance I get a guy who backends me or fishes beds all day which really hurts your chances at catching fish, and if thats how the day plays out you ain't getting a dime from me. I understand the money they spent to find fish but if the boater tries to keep you off his fish why contribute to his costs? COs have expenses and entry fees too and the last thing we want is to drive across the state, pay for hotel rooms, licenses, food, just to draw a selfish boater who can really decrease your chances from doing well. Luckily I have not drawn a boater like this yet but it can happen and I always give gas money at the end of the day. Hopefully next year will be my last as a Co and the shoe will be on the other foot...
FISH HARD!!!

djkimmel

In Michigan, last time I checked with MDNRE Law Division (a while ago), it is technically illegal to accept money or anything of value for taking someone fishing unless you are a licensed guide/charter captain. The odds that they'll show up at a draw tournament to enforce this over our rider fees - that they are aware of to some degree - are pretty low.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

motocross269

Quote from: djkimmel on October 29, 2010, 07:01:22 PM
In Michigan, last time I checked with MDNRE Law Division (a while ago), it is technically illegal to accept money or anything of value for taking someone fishing unless you are a licensed guide/charter captain. The odds that they'll show up at a draw tournament to enforce this over our rider fees - that they are aware of to some degree - are pretty low.

I thinking splitting gas expenses is stretching that law some....
It would be like saying that I can't give my buddy Gas money for his truck if he drives us to a tournament because he doesn't have a chauffers license or is not a licensed Taxi.....
I find it hard to believe that a Judge would throw the book at someone that gave his boater 40 bucks to cover gas..I guess in todays world you never know though...

djkimmel

I doubt if it would ever happen but I specifically asked a Lansing CO about a buddy giving his fishing partner gas money and he said yes, technically illegal. That is not exactly why the regulations where made, but in the early days of the Great Lakes salmon craze, everyone is a boat was acting like they were a charter captain, but avoiding the cost of licensing by trading for the day of fishing. That's why I was told it says anything of value, not just money. I haven't checked on this in a few years, but I haven't seen anything about any changes either.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

ROI Outdoors

Quote from: djkimmel on October 30, 2010, 01:45:45 AM
I doubt if it would ever happen but I specifically asked a Lansing CO about a buddy giving his fishing partner gas money and he said yes, technically illegal. That is not exactly why the regulations where made, but in the early days of the Great Lakes salmon craze, everyone is a boat was acting like they were a charter captain, but avoiding the cost of licensing by trading for the day of fishing. That's why I was told it says anything of value, not just money. I haven't checked on this in a few years, but I haven't seen anything about any changes either.

This is simply another example that supports the fact that Michigan has been in a legislative coma from a fisheries regulatory standpoint since the 1970's - the good thing about this condition is it is self-induced so we can wake MI up from this coma whenever we decide to bring some Starbucks or a few Red Bull's to our freinds in Lansing.  I have "technically" broken this law countless times over the past decade; come to think of it I did today because I gave Waterfowl a bag of Sun Chips, some Lay's Sour Cream & Onion potato chips, and 2 chili dogs from Yesterdog's for taking his boat out today - I think we all better go out and get our Captain's licenses so when we act like respectful human beings we don't have to feel like outlaws and violators of these common sense policies.......

It shouldn't take Think-Tanks or Congressional Oversight Commitees to change or update this sort of thing but that seems to be the prevailing attitude/perception most have and could quite possibly even be the reality we are currently faced with; fortunately for us Tuesday night will become the beginning of what should be a new reality here in Michigan.  All it will take is a few business minded folks with a shred of common sense working in Lansing to put the "Great" back in the Great Lakes State.

We need to start taking advantage of our geography & natural resources as well as stop trying to please those organizations whom only want to please themselves and their agendas.  Not naming names but I bet most of us on this site know who they are - there are way more of us than there are of them so lets start putting those numbers to work for everyone here.  In my opinion there will be a plethora of legislative/policy changes to our fisheries regulations in the very near future - we might even finally adopt a real management strategy for Bass seeing as they are by far the most targeted species by well over 30% of Michigan's licensed anglers.  Think of how many more steelhead the state could pay for more guys to snag them while they are trying to naturally sustain themselves during their spring spawn..............if they allowed us to have tourneys in April and May - the revenue generating jugernuat could finally be unleashed to the state with most diverse and abundant bass fisheries in the world.  Who knows maybe we'll even have a release boat that resides full-time here paid for by all the non-residents coming up to fish St. Clair the 1st week of April.

Were we discussing gas money?  My bad I get a little sidetracked from time to time......
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

Waterfoul

Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

McCarter

this issue comes up alot.  why not put pressure on FLW or BASS to just decrease the "pro" entry fee by $40 and increase the "co" entry fee by $40.  then everyone will be happy ::)

Cartwheel has spoken!

Skulley

In my club rider's pay $30 for inland lakes and $40 for big water.  Figure gas and oil for both tow vehicle and boat.  Depending on how far you go and wear and tear usually dictates the cost.  Very fair with the prices for petroleum these days.

BD             ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

MadWags

travisx15

i was going to fish some 2011 flw bfl events as a co but after reading these post i don't want to get stuck in a boat with some jerk. from what i have read about the bfl so far is boaters need a co and co need boaters. you boaters act like co owe you something. if your co didn't give you gas money they didn't know the unwritten rules of fishing or maybe you were a jerk. i would as a co give a min. of $20 (flw website says give $20). if the boater let me use some of his soft plastics (flw tips for not bringing to much stuff bring terminal tackle and basic colors the boater will have a large selection of plastics) or gave me tips and helped me out i would want to help them out more by throwing the boater $50 - $75 or $100 on a long trip. if boaters stop crying over "he didn't give me money in the morning" maybe you would get more money at the end of the day. my tips for boaters stop sounding like jerks on forums. I'm sure many co have no problem paying gas money but why should a co give you gas money for a bad experience.

djkimmel

Well, calling people you probably don't know a jerk also doesn't help very much. Who wants to be known as 'the co-angler who thinks all boaters are jerks?' And what boater would want to fish with him/her?

This particular discussion is about everyone's opinion on what is fair and what is not fair between boaters and co-anglers. Most boaters are nice guys and gals trying to fish, have fun and do well too. I think many are saying the attitude you start with can dictate how the day goes, so a more positive attitude is very important to the success of the boater and the co-angler's day. I guaranty that a confrontational or negative attitude will put a damper on the experience every time. It will probably guaranty the day doesn't go well, which many feel should not have an impact on how much the day costs. It still costs the same.

I wouldn't give up on fishing the BFL just from reading peoples' opinions. Part of the purpose of this site is so people can share their opinions. Preferably without name-calling and respecting that we do have different opinions. We should all be able to behave in an adult manner regardless of whether or not we agree 100% or even 10% with each others' opinions.

This is one of my main tenets for being a productive and successful member of this website. Listen and respect each others' opinions. You can disagree without resorting to a name-calling attitude. You can get farther in tournaments and life too, by approaching things differently.

Skulley

Quote from: djkimmel on December 30, 2010, 04:02:56 PM
Well, calling people you probably don't know a jerk also doesn't help very much. Who wants to be known as 'the co-angler who thinks all boaters are jerks?' And what boater would want to fish with him/her?

This particular discussion is about everyone's opinion on what is fair and what is not fair between boaters and co-anglers. Most boaters are nice guys and gals trying to fish, have fun and do well too. I think many are saying the attitude you start with can dictate how the day goes, so a more positive attitude is very important to the success of the boater and the co-angler's day. I guaranty that a confrontational or negative attitude will put a damper on the experience every time. It will probably guaranty the day doesn't go well, which many feel should not have an impact on how much the day costs. It still costs the same.

I wouldn't give up on fishing the BFL just from reading peoples' opinions. Part of the purpose of this site is so people can share their opinions. Preferably without name-calling and respecting that we do have different opinions. We should all be able to behave in an adult manner regardless of whether or not we agree 100% or even 10% with each others' opinions.

This is one of my main tenets for being a productive and successful member of this website. Listen and respect each others' opinions. You can disagree without resorting to a name-calling attitude. You can get farther in tournaments and life too, by approaching things differently.

Well said DK.  Mr. Travis has only posted for the second time on this forum.  Not exactly what I would call a "good start".  Right now I am thinking that he is what he called us boaters......however I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and tell him that if he does not own a boat, he should go out and buy one so he can then understand what we as boaters have to persevere.  I was a non-boater for an awfully long time.  Then I decided to buy a boat.  I have owned several boats since.  I have not forgotten where I came from and there are frustrations from both sides of the fence on this subject.  The bottom line is what DK said in his most recent post which I of course highlighted at the beginning of this one.  Besides, no matter where you go, or what you do, or who you talk to, associate with, or whatever, you are going to run into a jerk now and then. Plus we can all face the fact that every now and then any one of us can be a jerk also. I have been known to be a jerk depending on the issue or subject and how strongly I feel about said issue or subject.  It's just human nature.  No one can admittedly say that they have never been a jerk.  That is just the way life is.  Just my two cents.

BD                ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

SethV

Quote from: travisx15 on December 30, 2010, 01:41:13 PM
i was going to fish some 2011 flw bfl events as a co but after reading these post i don't want to get stuck in a boat with some jerk.

Hey Trav,  since you won't be going as a co, I look forward to seeing you on the boater side!    :-*

Seth

jim 2row

Ill be honest, alot of this is why I fish for fun anymore. No drama. No getting mad. Fishing is my time. I do plan on fishing open tournaments, but the cool thing about that is I take who I want. That being said,I think I lose out on learning things from other people and getting better.

djkimmel

There's always some give and take.

Skulley

Quote from: jim 2row on December 30, 2010, 09:01:44 PM
Ill be honest, alot of this is why I fish for fun anymore. No drama. No getting mad. Fishing is my time. I do plan on fishing open tournaments, but the cool thing about that is I take who I want. That being said,I think I lose out on learning things from other people and getting better.

I have got to agree with this.  Over the years I have fished less tournaments with others aside from my family.  I have actually fished more with persons who have the same things in common with me.  In other words, I use fishing to relieve the stress from my regular job.  There is a high stress factor there and fishing has helped me be a more calm and collected individual.  It also helps me to concentrate on what is important in my life.  That is why I fish more alone at times than I do with a partner.  Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy fishing with others, however fishing for fun is what it's all about in the first place.  After all, if you're not having fun, what are you having??

BD                ;D

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

dartag

Amazing how this topic comes up every year.  Not only on this board but others as well. 
In the old days it was the Drop Shotting thread.  Guess we have to have something to talk about all winter.   Seth is right.  Buy a boat pay the entry fee and all other expenses.