Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:18:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Berkley Lightning Rods

Started by Mcnasty, August 08, 2010, 11:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mcnasty

GARBAGE!!!! at least the new ones that they are selling right now at gander mountain. i know they have been making these for years now.

i bought one bc the price was right and seemed like a ok rod for the money (39.99) and been using it as a crankbait rod.

Soo ive been out on Kent lake 6 times in the last week in a half or so and have lost 5 different baits on this rod setup with 20 spiderwire! Instantly set the hook and snapp line in your face!! Last night when it happened for the 5th time i finally pin pointed the problem. The top 4 or 5 line guides at the bottom of each eye are RAZOR sharp!!!!!!! i really didnt make much sense why this was happening and just thought SH*t that was a big ass fish.. at first it was spooled with 10 pound flouro and after breaking off i was like no not again suckers and went to braid. 2 of 5 the times, im sure that the fish were pike and the other 3 dont know but prob bass.

Funny story- (if you can make breaking a lure off funny)
i was throwin a lipless crank and 10 feet from the boat bang pike, wasnt huge maybe 24" this fish i fight for 2seconds and snap. 10 mins later i hear a rattling sound like a lipless crank and i look over and theres that pike jumpin like a sailfish tryin to spit that bait!!!!!

i can name the baits if anyones caught bass or pike in the last few days out there with lures in theyre mouths! sad thing is if they were deep it might have killed the fish.....

anyways i returned the rod w no problem to gander today and told them about the problem. crappy part is im out 35 bucks or so in lures!!!! i hope this helps you guys out
check your guides!!!!!

play for keeps

ya i agree with you, i work at gander mtn and i dont really recomend that rod because the metal inserts in the guides.we return a lot of those rods for various reasons, your problem is the most common! for the same price you can get a gm advantage rod with ceramic inserts, or for about 70 bucks you can get a st.croix triumph
nemesis baits

palehorse custom rods

Mcnasty

yeah ive heard about metal inserts get cut by braided line, metal inserts or not... they shouldnt be razor sharp!

i just found out the hard way.  its crazy how it worked bc i caught other good sized fish without problems on this road. the only time it didnt work was when they followed it to the boat. instant snap!

Mike S.

I have 6 Lightning Rods, and I don't have a complaint about any of them.  I have spinning rods, casting rods, and my flipping rod with braid is a Lightning Rod.  Not 1 bad thing to say about them. 

Mcnasty

How long ago did you buy them? im glad to hear you havent had any problems. since then gander mountain took them all off the shelf, after showing them and exchanging it out for a different rod.

Mike S.

My newest one is just over a year old.  Only complaint is that I bought a 6 footer.  I can't get a hook set to save my life with that thing.  Works awesome for my 10 year old, though.