Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:45:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Trolling motor power loss

Started by Mike S., July 27, 2010, 09:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike S.

I have a 65# MinnKota 24 volt trolling motor on my boat.  When I bought the boat, 7 weeks ago, it moved along pretty good.  Now, on 5, it barely goes.  There are a few things I am wondering about.  First, if I have a weak battery, will it still run?  I know I need new batteries, but I'm waiting until I make a decision on a charger.  Secondly, there is a breaker in the back of the boat with 2 reset buttons.  I don't remember why, but i pushed them both one day.  1 works, and the other one didn't.  Well, 1 pushed easy and the other didn't.  Could this be my problem?  I've never had a 24 volt tm before, so it's all new to me.  Or, do I need to throw down some big money and get a new tm?  If so, help me figure out how to break it to my wife. ???

Cy

If the voltage is low, below 24volts...the trolling motor should still run but it won't run well.  You need to check the voltage on those batteries.  You could also get a hydrometer and check the specific gravity of each cell on that batteries to find out if you have a bad cell.  But if those batteries are over 3 years old then they probably need to be replaced.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

ronhuntfish

Check for corroded wires and/or battery terminals.  You never know.

gr@ssmonkey

u probally need new batteries,but the next time its going slow,put your hands on that breaker and some of the wiring and see if it's hot,even warm is no good u have a bad ground or some wiring isn't looking to good

Frank

get a volt meter and check the voltage.  it should be 24v  then check the voltage again up front at the trolling motor.  if its lower you have a wiring problem.  just keep checking it at different spots until you isolate the problem.  if it has good voltage take it to K&D they are authorized minkotta repair shop.  they fixed mine very quickly

Frank

djkimmel

Check your trolling motor plug too - male and female ends - to see if you spot any signs of resistance which could show as warping, melting or burning from heat. That would give you some idea if you have a wiring problem.

#1 most likely as mentioned is a battery problem. If one battery is going bad, you will have a problem like you are describing.

Ideally (no hindering factors like money or spouses ;D ) you want to have two batteries of the same type, age and size to run your trolling motor from.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

I am going to buy 2 new batteries this week.  The hard part is deciding between Interstate, Deka, or Optima.  If that doesn't work, maybe a new boat? ??? :o

champion_206

Quote from: mikeszr800 on July 27, 2010, 09:31:17 PM
I have a 65# MinnKota 24 volt trolling motor on my boat.  When I bought the boat, 7 weeks ago, it moved along pretty good.  Now, on 5, it barely goes.  There are a few things I am wondering about.  First, if I have a weak battery, will it still run?  I know I need new batteries, but I'm waiting until I make a decision on a charger.  Secondly, there is a breaker in the back of the boat with 2 reset buttons.  I don't remember why, but i pushed them both one day.  1 works, and the other one didn't.  Well, 1 pushed easy and the other didn't.  Could this be my problem?  I've never had a 24 volt tm before, so it's all new to me.  Or, do I need to throw down some big money and get a new tm?  If so, help me figure out how to break it to my wife. ???
take a volt meter and see how many volts you have at the TM, at the plug, you have a bow mounted TM I take it ? yes you should have a breaker for your TM, but usually when that goes you will not have pwr and your TM will not work
(Certified Evinrude Mechanic) Anglers Marine, Evinrude, Champion Boats,Crooked Creek Pro Staff

LennyB

Give the guys at complete battery in Redford a call. They are hard core bass fisherman and know batteries well. They carry the named brands like Optima and such but will probably recommend the house brand, which is made by a major brand, because they are excellent and at a much lower cost. Myself and partner guide Gerry Gostinek use them and can say they work great. 8 to 10 hrs a day every day.
Len B.

djkimmel

He's all the way over in Muskegon.

Mike go with the Deka Batteries and don't look back. That will be one less worry for you. Did you check the batteries though? Did you look at the plug and receptacle? Corrosion? Signs of heat? You want to make sure there isn't something else going on.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Mike S.

It's definitely my batteries.  One of them has a crack in it.  They are 4 years old, and are cheaper batteries, so no big deal.  Buying a new pair today.

Mike S.

It's definitely NOT the batteries, or connections.  My trolling motor is on its last legs.  At least I have new batteries.

djkimmel

I was afraid there might be more to it. Don't throw the trolling motor out just yet. It can be very likely it is wiring or the plug connection. Loose connection. Corrosion. Enough resistance will make any electric motor seem damaged.

Mike S.

I'm going to do some digging first.  I don't think the wife will take too kindly to a new tm this year.  I'll figure it out.

Cy

You can also check with Great Lakes Communication in GR.

4970 West River Dr.Comstock Park,MI49321-8521
(616) 647-9990

They do Minn Kota repair and parts.
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

Durand Dan

I hate postings like this! My trolling motor crapped out on me today. Turns out it was the grommet on the foot control micro switch. Pretty cheap fix if I can find one in the area.

djkimmel

Yeah... me too :) But my zap was from a wheel bearing that suddenly (after long time never having this problem) burned on a harrowing 17 mile drive home to my house from a local lake. Half the bearing is gone... so it actually must have been going bad for a while. I hadn't felt any heat until I came home from a 3 hour drive from camping with the kids Tuesday, and then it wasn't enough (as hot as it was that day) to say I had a problem. Guess I had a problem! AND I forgot to put sunscreen on my chin!!! Do you know what happens to a redhead who does that?!?

My trolling motor is so old and worn I don't dare even THINK about it!!! I don't need anymore expenses right now either. (Just in case... I did buy a new $25 paddle ;D )

Mike S.

That's funny about the wheel bearing, Dan.  I took my boat to LSC on the 9th of July, and was lazy and didn't do check my bearings out.  We made it there and back, luckily.  But, the next day I took mikesmiph out on Muskegon, and waxed a bearing.  I saw smoke pouring off it in my rear view mirror.  Good thing I only live 2 miles from Fisherman's.  I just did the other side today.  As for the tm, I haven't had time to mess with it.  Been looking for a good deal on a new, bigger one.

djkimmel

I've been real lucky with bearings. The old design on my Ranger Trail trailer has a lot to do with it. Very good design that holds grease well and helps you avoid overfilling easily. Sealed very well.

I almost wonder if the cap got knocked off somehow? That will do it in a hurry. Could be a bad bearing too maybe. I put all new bearings on all axles last time I redid everything. May have been one that wasn't super smooth though I hadn't felt any heat in a long time. I always check right away as soon as I pull off for a pit stop, or get to the lake or get home.

Well, good luck with your trolling motor situation.

Bassomatic

Take the prop of your TM to see if there is some fishing line or something wrapped up in there.  It can make a big difference.

Scott.