Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:54:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Kalamazoo River, worth fishing?

Started by 32eml24, June 29, 2010, 11:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

32eml24

Anyone ever fished the Kalamazoo river? If so, what stretch and is it worth fishing?  I would think there are some smallies and it's pretty close to my house so just thought I would check.  Largemouth are fun but I'd love to get in on some smallie action, even if they aren't monsters like those guys catch out of the St. Joe.

ROI Outdoors

If you launch at Schultz's Park right next to 96 you want to start straight across from the launch on the docks, after you hit those start fishing the northernmost brigde pilings right up river from the docks across from the launch.  The next 75-100 yard stretch is good - just hit all the structure (trees, pipe, concrete, more trees).  After you don't see very many trees or structure in the water pull your trolling motor up and run up river - MAKE SURE to go all the way to the wooden dock out of the water before turning right (south) - it is pretty much a 90 degree bend and if the water is normal or low you will beach even the flatest bottom boat if you do not go all the way up to the wooden stairs/dock that sits out of the water.  Once you get to that dock/stair deal turn right up stream and you won't ever get shallower than 3 feet.   Upstream from there are 3 sets of retaining walls that all produce smallies - start at the big willow tree retaining walll and work from the wall out a couple of feet - pitch all the shoreline on the same side as the retaining walls.  The 2nd retaining wall is the one that I can guarantee some fish off of - there is a rock pile about 4 feet off the wall that goes almost to the middle of the river at the end of the 2nd retaining wall.  The next or largest wall is where you can get some 2-3 lbers - just fish about 4-6 feet of the wall because you will snag up if you cast right next to it - that whole stretch is rock and concrete that goes down into about 10 feet so.  Throw bright colored cranks and rip them down stream with the current and almost everytime you hit a rock or block you will get nailed by a K-zoo river smallie. 

They aren't big by any means but they can be fun and you can actually pull a few in the 3.5-4 range but it is rare and mostly only occurs in the fall though.  Good luck and let me know if that helps.
Luke A. Winstrom - Founder/President
Return On Investment Outdoors
luke.winstrom@roioutdoors.com
Direct Line - (616) 366-1395
Visit us Online @ www.roioutdoors.com

32eml24

Holy smokes!!! Thanks a lot for all the help, I will defnitely give it a shot.  That's awesome now I'm excited to have something close to home where I can catch smallies!  You really didn't have to be that specific but thanks alot that's a huge help.  I'll let you know how I do!