Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:49:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lake Erie smallies heating up

Started by River Walker, April 24, 2010, 02:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Walker

I fished Lake Erie this past Wednesday,and again yesterday(Friday).On Wednesday,the weather was quite a bit better than it was yesterday.The waves were less than a foot,and the air temp was a mild 68,the water temps were anywhere from 55 to 58 degrees,the water was pretty muddy close too the mainland shore,but cleared nicely a couple of miles offshore.I was mainly fishing the SE side of Kelley's,I tried deeper water first without any success,so I moved into water anywhere from 8' deep,right up to only 2' deep.There was very good numbers of smallies right up close to the bank.The large majority of fish I caught were along docks and piers,but I did take quite a few from just along the shoreline(as long as it was rocky).I'm just guessing at the number I caught,I quit keeping count at 20 something,so I would guess probably about 35 smallies,and maybe 5 largemouth.The largest smallie went 5.7lbs.,I caught 4 fish that went over 5lbs.All the bass were caught on a drop-shot rig,with either a 3"Senko,4"Senko,or a 4" Superpin-tail.
Yesterday I fished the same areas with a buddy,the weather wasn't all that great.When we launched my boat around 8:30am,it was still in the 30's,and a pretty stiff NE wind(which usually shuts down smallies up there).Again,it was pretty muddy until you got out around the islands.The NE winds,plus the advancing front had the fish shut down early on,but we stayed at it until they started to bite better.We were both drop-shotting,and I caught 5 nice smallies and 3 largemouth,and my buddy prolly caught 5 or 6 smallies,including a 5.5lb'er,he also caught a couple largies.Looking at the forecast,it will be several days before I can get back up there(6'-9' waves Sunday and Monday),maybe by next weekend,the lake will clear up again after all the storms pass through.BTW,I did see several bass that looked very much as though they were sitting on beds.

basshtr

A buddy and I fished the afternoon of monday, 4/19.  We were fishing west of the Vermillion River.  Caught 7 smallies, the biggest was 21", between 5-6lbs (guess).  The rest were 18" and up.  Most of the fish were in 10 fow, the big one was in 16 fow.  Caught all but one fish on cranks.  The other was on a drop shot goby.  Tried a tube with no takers.  Water clarity was 7ft+.  Surface temp was 55deg, the wind died down in the early afternoon, we couldnt even drift.  It was a beautiful day on the water. 

Caught a few of those huge redfish too  ::).

River Walker

Sounds like you were fishing pretty close to Ruggles then.I've heard several reports of big smallies from there in the last couple of weeks.Some guys have been getting them there real shallow 6'-8'.Most of the reports I've heard have said drop-shots and cranks,so you were definitely using the right gear.