Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 12:04:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

MI Crayfish?

Started by TCook, March 05, 2010, 02:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TCook

Cant find anything online for this area, just general info. My question is what species are commen in MI and what colors are they at what time of year up here? What depths and what areas or bottom do they spawn at? I know they spawn at 70 degrees but don't understand much else about there life cycle.
FISH HARD!!!

Cheetam

Jeff

t-bone

The ones that end up in my livewell seem to be the rusty or virile shade if I go by the pictures... but that just might be because they are dead and puked up to get to those shades...
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

TCook

Ya I checked that site out before, it gives you the species and one picture if they have one. I cant find anything about each species color changes or spawning cycle.  
FISH HARD!!!

TCook

Quote from: t-bone on March 05, 2010, 03:35:52 PM
The ones that end up in my livewell seem to be the rusty or virile shade if I go by the pictures... but that just might be because they are dead and puked up to get to those shades...

Ya I have seen many in the livewell but I figured the color changes after death and digestion.
FISH HARD!!!

Durand Dan

Flippin222

Here are some additional pictures of the "Rusty Crayfish"

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/pictures/Orconectes_rusticus.html

Seems like they will vary quite a bit in color depending on the enviorment they are in (clear water vs stained, hard bottom vs soft bottom, bottom color, etc....). I also understand that when they molt, they will change color and become several shades lighter (nearly pink).
Don't sweat the petty things; Don't pet the sweaty things

dartag

great topic.    Took these photos about 5 years ago of some crawfish bits from my livewell and a Waynes St Clair craw tube.   the color match was really close.   Going to try and tie some jigs to match.   One thing I notice is some crawfish have white on there undersides.  don't really see any jigs with white.  may have to try it.  maybe get a better bite on the fall.

TCook

Ya that's close to what most crayfish parts looked like when I see them in the livewell. I always assumed they took on that color from the digestion process, maybe they stay the same color I'm not sure but I would like to know. Especially in late Sept and Oct up north most of the time the smallys would spit up very small craws and they were always white and orange. I wondered if those colors came from digestion or if maybe the crayfish spawn later in the year and these were the small craws from that spawn?
FISH HARD!!!

djkimmel

Up on Torch many of the crayfish are white. They look long dead until you bump them. Wonder if the water chemistry is involved?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fiker

I read something from Denny Brauer a couple of years ago that his "secret" jig color was all white.
He said not to tell anybody ...... but I'm sure he was just kidding.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

bassassasin88

Theres a pond I fish in where the crayfish have bright blue claws.

djkimmel

Quote from: fiker on March 06, 2010, 08:05:05 AM
I read something from Denny Brauer a couple of years ago that his "secret" jig color was all white.
He said not to tell anybody ...... but I'm sure he was just kidding.

He likes swimming a white jig. A lot of the good ole boys down there do. I do too.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Frank

The ones I catch are any shade of brown red and orange, though i do get the occasional bright blue clawed one, always a big one when they are that color.  i dont know the species though.  i take my little girls out to catch them in the summer sometimes, though the are there year round.

Frank

Lightningboy

I've made it a habit of trying to catch a few crayfish at different lakes, and at different times of the season.  I agree with craws being lighter on the underside, some a very creamy off-white.

The overall colors I've found are some mixture of green and brown.  Craws living in weedy lakes are more green pumpkin, those with little weeds more of a brown pumpkin.  Also, clearer water means lighter colors.  But all still have that lighter shade on the belly.

I haven't noticed many other color hues on the smaller craws.  But the big guys do get some bolder highlights on them.  I think the orange color of craw chunks in the livewell is from the bleaching action of stomach acid.  But maybe that orange shows through a little more at different times of the season?

I have held craws up to the sunlight, and taken a look at the reflections from the shell.  There can be some interesting flashes of color as you turn them, especially purples.  Same thing when you look at a shad held in the sun.  Must be something about how light is refracted by their slime coating.  But it makes me like a little purple flake in my soft plastics.  Just a little flash of it as it turns...

I need to make some crayfish traps one of these days.  I've never really had the chance to look at craws from deeper water, like early spring/fall cold water.  Although I bet they get darker, maybe the reason for a black jig being a popular cold water color?

Got Fish??

It looks like you all have this just about covered. With one thing left out. when a crawfish molts, it has a differnet variation of its color. Different location, water clarity, habitat, and water temperature all come into play.

TCook

Good info here guys. When do they molt? Still hoping someone knows when and where they spawn like depth and what kind of bottom? I bet you can get on a good bite if you can key in on the craw spawn. They carry there eggs under there tail section and continue to carry them after they hatch. I'm sure they are very slow and vulnerable during this time and the bass probably take advantage.
FISH HARD!!!

Got Fish??

Like all other crustaceans craws have an outer skeleton, How much thy eat and grow depends on how fast thy grow out of their cast. Thy may molt more than once a year. Generally it will be liter in color until it's cast hardens.

TCook

I found a good article for all the information I was looking for. Thanks for all the input guys, I would still like to hear anything on this topic for our area if you have anything to add.
FISH HARD!!!

Cheetam

Quote from: TCook on March 08, 2010, 03:03:13 PM
I found a good article for all the information I was looking for. Thanks for all the input guys, I would still like to hear anything on this topic for our area if you have anything to add.
Care to share the article?  ;D
Jeff