Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:54:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Made in the USA?

Started by Big dreams, February 09, 2010, 12:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big dreams

What is made in the USA anymore?  I thought the "All American" Johnny Morris would have his line in the USA but I am wrong!  St. Croix has a few rods made in the USA but the bass rods are made in Mexico.  Does anyone have any information on what is made in the USA?  I sent Bass Pro an email stating they should have an American Flag next to product made in the USA.  I doubt they will respond to my email.  Let me know your thoughts!

McCarter

Nemesis Baits are made in the USA.  Matter of fact, they are made right here in Michigan.......by me!  I make them in my garage while listening to Fleetwood Mac and Elvis Costello albums.

McCarter himself :-\'

Skip Johnson

Its hard to know what is realy made in the USA, my ford truck and my wifes navigator has made in mexico stickers on its parts....not real happy bout that!
Go Big or Go Home!

Big dreams

Quote from: McCarter on February 09, 2010, 01:24:22 PM
Nemesis Baits are made in the USA.  Matter of fact, they are made right here in Michigan.......by me!  I make them in my garage while listening to Fleetwood Mac and Elvis Costello albums.

McCarter himself :-\'

I think I purchased some soft plastics from you at the Ultimate Fishing Show in Novi.  I can't wait to get out there and start throwing them.

Big dreams

Quote from: skip johnson on February 09, 2010, 02:25:36 PM
Its hard to know what is realy made in the USA, my ford truck and my wifes navigator has made in mexico stickers on its parts....not real happy bout that!
Ford sold out years ago.  They still have a few manufacturers in the states but not many.  It is crazy how this world is changing so fast.

mikesmiph

Grandt rods are made in the USA

Big dreams

I have been to the Grandt website.  They seem to be nice rods.  I know Ardent reels are made in the USA but they do not have many models to choose from.  Plus the design is weird. 

CJ

TCook

How does the balance, weight, and sensitivity of Grandt rods compare to other high end rods like Loomis, St croix exc? I know they are flashy but I could care less about the looks. What blanks and components do they use?
FISH HARD!!!

mikesmiph

Madwags would be the one to ask technical questions about Grandt rods. I know they feel fantastic and are very sensitive. And the price for GLB members cant be beat. Lifetime warrantee, and made in the USA. Everything I'm looking for in a rod.

dartag

here is an interesting article about Boyd Ducketts new rod company.  He tells why he has them made in China.   

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/news/story?page=b_blog_Duckett_2010

Bender

"we had to make a choice. We could stay in the U.S. and make high-end fishing rods that would cost American anglers considerably more money, or we could go where the manufacturing base is and make a high-quality rod that we can sell at a far more reasonable price."

from the link Steve posted. I don't know about most people but when I can I try to buy American. I might have considered one of his rods if they were made here and I'm generally willing to pay a bit extra for that. It's also for this reason that I stay out of Wal-Marx, I doubt you can find much of anything there made in U.S.A.

I actually am traveling to China soon myself and was really torn about the trip. One of my customers in the U.S. bought a machine and is having it shipped to a new plant in China. I talked to them about it and it is not taking work away from here and they are not moving anything over there, the new plant is just for them to branch out into the Far East market. And I believe this company when they say that. I don't have any problem with the people of China or any Asian country in particular, but their governments are another story.

I am afraid that it is a little too late though, driving through an industrial park in central Thailand a few years ago I saw all the big names: Ford, GM, Bendix, etc. and the aerospace company I was there to see who is another major U.S. name.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

MadWags

Grandt Industries is one of the largest fishing rod manufacturing facilities left here in the USA.
They manufacture finished rods for 67 other comnpanies. Some of you may own a Grandt manufactured product and do not know it. Most rods are made in the Tulsa plant but the custom and high end rods are made outside of Chicago.

Grandt Rods makes their own blanks.
The All AMERICAN and Golden Supreme models are built off of a 58 million modulus graphite blank that is built using a kevlar scrim cloth. The XLH70, Reserve Power, Stealth and other models are built off of a 78 million modulus graphite blank. This blank holds a patent and is the highest modulus graphite within the blank in the industry. The TiTech Titanium series is the only all Titanium blank on the market.  The Stealth series uses a Titanium cloth wrap in the butt section of the rod. I personally tested this rod for 9 months prior to production, I can tell you there is nothing like it and nothing comes close to it in power to weight ratio.
Most rods blanks, even the most expensive on the market, do not exceed 56 million modulus in graphite. Grandt has perfected high modulus graphite rods and shafts. Their equipment is very high tech. They make awesome golf club shafts.  As for components, some of the reel seats that have been designed by Jim Grandt are manufactured here in the USA but most components for fishing rods are made overseas. Most guides are made in Japan and are not cheap. Grandt buys from the source manufacturing facility. Grandt also uses PacBay components on its larger saltwater rods.

When you look in the booth and see the fancy wraps, that's all Jim Grandts personal hand work. That's what he does and he is good at it. We always get rod builders in the booth just staring in amazement. But that is not all they do. Grandts technology is second to none.

That is why I fish them.
Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions you wish.
Wags
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Big dreams

It is depressing to think about but it needs to be addressed.  I emailed many rod and reel manufacturers today about this issue.  I just can't believe that Johnny Morris sold out on us!  I feel cheated.  At least Minn Kota is US based.

BryanP

Actually aside from Fuji, most guides and reel seats are made in China or Korea.  And I'm not so sure Fuji doesn't source them too.

Cheetam

Aren't Lamiglas rods made in the USA?
Jeff

fiker

I thought that what I'd call the 'lower end" St. Croix rods, (Premier, Mojo Bass, Triumph, and a few others) were made in Mexico. 

Also the Avids, legends, are still made here.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

SethV

Quote from: Bender on February 09, 2010, 05:18:32 PM
I actually am traveling to China soon myself and was really torn about the trip.

I enjoy traveling to China (except for the long plane ride).  Shanghai is a really nice town, easy to get around, clean - I like going there better than Europe.

We (GM) sell more cars in China than we do in the USA.  It is the worlds largest auto market.  We actually export many, many cars out of the USA to China, rather than the other way around.  Pretty much all Cadillac nameplates, Lacrosse, ect are built here and sold there.  Nice to see that for a change.

Seth

Big dreams

I am not sure.  Kissler and GLoomis are I am told.

Cheetam

Quote from: Big dreams on February 10, 2010, 08:35:50 PM
Kistlers used to be made in the US.  Now they are all made in China.  Even the LTAs and LTX rods.
Jeff

Manxfishing

Quote from: jcheetam on February 10, 2010, 08:59:20 PM
Quote from: Big dreams on February 10, 2010, 08:35:50 PM
Kistlers used to be made in the US.  Now they are all made in China.  Even the LTAs and LTX rods.

I'm not sure about that
I know the IM7 that I bought from Kistler was made in China
But all the others say made in the USA
But I'll e-mail them and post what they have to say
If they are now made in China I've bought my last Kistler

I'll throw out McCoy line
There a Made in the USA product