Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 06:41:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Made in the USA?

Started by Big dreams, February 09, 2010, 12:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

champion_206

Quote from: BryanP on February 13, 2010, 01:51:51 PM
The latest rumor is that Irwin Jacobs is poised to buy Champion. 

Fact is, Champion sales have been on a steady decline since well before Genmar acquired them.  They've never really been a strong brand anywhere except out west, and for a short time up here.  They build a nice boat though.
With more advertising and good marketing,which champ has not had in a few yrs now, with the great rough water ride, there a great boat for the big water, if IJ get champ back, they will get more market share if its managed right
(Certified Evinrude Mechanic) Anglers Marine, Evinrude, Champion Boats,Crooked Creek Pro Staff

Big dreams

This is my first bass boat but my Champ is amazing!  I do not see a need to switch brands just because mine is so good on the water.  That is sad to hear that they could be finished!

djkimmel

And they could have a new beginning... no sense in worrying about it until you know you have something to worry about.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fowlmouth

I realize it's not possible to buy everything we use made here in the U.S.A. That said, it is important to know where the profits go. I try to purchase from American owned companies whenever possible(better yet, Michigan based). I do everything that I can to purchase the everyday stuff from Meijer as opposed to Wally World, I try to purchase as much of my tackle locally as possible(sometimes not an easy task).

Big dreams

Question for the viewers
Q:  Is it better to support American based companies even though they make their products out of the country?
or...
Is it better to support the American worker buy purchasing an American made product even though the company HQ is in another country?

Durand Dan

I think the answer is, "What makes you feel comfortable with your purchases?" I personally prefer to purchase products made on US soil, by US workers. There used to be an argument about where the profits go, but now with the corporations effectively worldwide entities I don't think that is as strong.

Manxfishing

I agree
I'd like to support American made products made in the USA

But I'm guilty of not buying some thing else because I felt comfortable buying it
I have a Yamaha on the back of the boat for the dependability
Like the Shimano's for the reason that I know what I'm buying
And just the other day I bought a couple Evergreen lipless baits
Because there isn't a USA silent lipless bait out there

But for Rods
I can tell you I won't be buying a China made 200 dollar plus  Kistler
Love the rods I do have, But that there is just pure greed

BryanP

What I find interesting is the perception that just because a product is made in China, it's pure profit.  I'm curious how you come to that assumption and how some people seem to be so sure that's the case.  I have a friend who always seems to think he knows when a company is "making too much money"!  He has absolutely no basis for his assumption since there is no way of knowing for sure how much it costs company X to manufacture, market, and service product Y unless you are directly involved.  He's even suggested the government should regulate how much profit a company should make, which is scary!  :o

In my job, I am involved with lots of different manufacturers, some of which manufacture 100% in the US, some partially, and others who manufacture overseas.  The main thing that dictates country of origin is the ability for produce a product at a cost people will want to pay, while still being able to maintain a profit margin sufficient to run the company.  If you can't be competitive in price, you're not going to get people to buy your product, and if you aren't making money, you aren't going to be in business very long.

I guess a question to ask is this:

If a rod sells for $200, how much of that $200 is fair profit for the manufacturer, and also for the dealer?  Then ask yourself if that would be enough profit for you to run your business.

BryanP

For some reason the edit function doesn't seem to be working.  Post should read "He has absolutely no basis for his assumption...."

McCarter

**deleted**

JohnBoy

Here are two examples of why the market has gone over seas. I know of a business that was coming out with an new product. They tried their best to have it made hear in America. What they found was only one manufacture that could do it. It would have cost retail around $300 when it was complete. Over seas with the same mechanical parts it costs around $80 retail. NO WAY would anyone buy a new product on the market for $300 when everyone else is selling similar things for less than $100. I dont care what you say. And yes this is in the fishing industry.
In a similar instance another friend has been selling his product for $1 a piece for years. He had a chance to replace one part of it for .10 cents more if he would buy American. Doesn't sound like alot so why didnt he. He is an American business owner trying to make money at what he does like the rest of us. He sells about 250 thousand of these a year. If he would have increased his product his sales probably would have gone down, but if not HE would of lost $25,000 for switching to this other part. That could be the difference between the business making it or not. You cant blame him for his decision at all.
If we as Americans would stop wanting $20 an hour for screwing in 6 screws ever 15 minutes or $20 an hour for sweeping up a room and get back to getting payed what the job is worth them maybe things in this country would actually become affordable. Now let me make it clear that I think that foreign workers are underpayed. But I also think we have overpaid our employees out of their jobs and that is why everything is being made somewhere else.
I too like to buy American when I can, but I don't make alot of money and I am unemployed right now. So when I do buy something that looks and feels roughly the same and has a warranty roughly the same no matter whether it is in the fishing industry or not I am going to by the cheapest that I can get away with roughly the same quality if I can find it. I think most Americans are in this same boat right now but hopefully some day I wont have to worry about my pennies.
I would go into why I think that this is the reason but that will just bring up a huge argument about unions, prevailing wages, etc. So I wont.

BryanP

LOL I just got that McCarter! 

djkimmel

I think I need to hire a better word censor...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

BryanP

At first I thought McCarter was just stating the obvious and calling me a small donkey! ;D

Manxfishing

Quote from: BryanP on February 17, 2010, 10:30:21 AM

If a rod sells for $200, how much of that $200 is fair profit for the manufacturer, and also for the dealer?  Then ask yourself if that would be enough profit for you to run your business.

Really, if I had to guess
I'd say the mark up the Helium rod is 160% over cost now
I'm guessing 60-80 for mat'l (rod seat, guides and blank)
and then labor in the USA (80) or China (10)

The problem i have is
The Helium rods were made in the USA and they listed for 249
Now there made in China 2 years later and there 269
(same rod seat, guides and blank)

Durand Dan

Hey, it's all about profit margin. Forget the nice guy thing. And if it is a publicly traded company add the allegiance to the stockholders. Which by the way fuel your 401K (which I believe had a profound effect on where we are as a nation today).
If your margin can increase by 50% isn't that capitalism in all it's glory?

Big dreams

I can see where everyone is coming from.  Being in the Information/Computer Security field, I can see where a business would want max profits with the smallest overhead, that makes sense to me.  I can also understand that the American worker is getting over paid to work that any American with a high school diploma can do.  With the raise in minimum wage, the prices of everyday goods are going to climb.  I see the signs about "Buy American" and I look immediately to my passion.  Most of the products in my box and in my boat are made outside of the U.S.  Just a little frustrated I guess...

djkimmel

Understand the feeling... just do your best with what makes you feel comfortable. I think many people do the same.

Getting out good and accurate information to everyone to help make decisions based on that is one of the main reasons I started this site. Way too much disinformation out there.

BryanP

Quote from: Manxfishing on February 18, 2010, 05:53:53 AM
Quote from: BryanP on February 17, 2010, 10:30:21 AM

Really, if I had to guess
I'd say the mark up the Helium rod is 160% over cost now
I'm guessing 60-80 for mat'l (rod seat, guides and blank)
and then labor in the USA (80) or China (10)

The problem i have is
The Helium rods were made in the USA and they listed for 249
Now there made in China 2 years later and there 269
(same rod seat, guides and blank)

I think you'd be surprised how low the mark up really is on a lot of the fishing products we buy. 

Bender

I just came across this today and found it really interesting. It makes me consider St.Croix a lot more.
Part 1 Video:
Part 2 Video:
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com