Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:29:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Are dead fish reports on St. Clair abnormally high this year?

Started by djkimmel, April 18, 2006, 11:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djkimmel

I've been hearing quite a bit about all the dead fish in Lake St. Clair this spring - mostly in canals and creeks. This happens every year, but this year, many seem to think it is excessive and more wide spread. I don't have much to add yet (although I've heard the start of some wild rumors - no, not ET), but here's a little of what the local MDNR has to say in a Macomb Daily article:

Fish die-off alarms lakeside residents, but DNR biologist says numbers typical

Winter stress, fluctuating temperatures take toll

PUBLISHED: April 14, 2006

By Tom Watts

Macomb Daily Staff Writer

Jasper Moceri's canal home in Harrison Township has a view of one of the best fishing holes on Lake St. Clair, but the sight of hundreds of dead and dying fish at his dock has Moceri convinced it's more than just a winter fish kill.

"I've been here 11 years and I've never... read full article

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

McCarter

I saw 3 largemouth floating on the surface when i was on Kent last weekend.

All 3 were still alive, but bloated and unable to swim down to the bottom.  I played with one for a little while, trying to get him to stay down,  eventually he made it down to the bottom for a little bit.  Hope he stayed there.  But the other 2 were doomed.  It looked like the needed to be fizzed.  But i didnt know for sure, so i just left them. 

Kinda wierd tho.  I have never seen this before on Kent Lake. 

PoorBoy himself :-\'

Roy Randolph

On another forum there is a suggestion that this might be from possible electro shocking and possible dnr accidentally mixed in a pesticide to control west nile virus 3 years ago

Not sure if this has any validity but it does seem strange that there are so many fish dead or dieing it seems this is an issue we need to keep a close eye on
Help a handicapped angler live his dream!

Cheetam

Quote from: Roy Randolph on April 19, 2006, 11:03:45 AM
On another forum there is a suggestion that this might be from possible electro shocking and possible dnr accidentally mixed in a pesticide to control west nile virus 3 years ago

Not sure if this has any validity but it does seem strange that there are so many fish dead or dieing it seems this is an issue we need to keep a close eye on

I read that too, but maybe someone can explain to me how pesticide (supposedly) released three years ago would just now begin to kill fish?
Jeff

djkimmel

Yeah - that's why I just said wild rumors. I don't want to spread anything until I hear something concrete from a credible source - sounds very odd, but you never know...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

joshimoto son

After spending a week with Poorboy, I have been privy to a wealth of information.
Many unexplained things that happen on this planet can be explained in one simple word.

ALIENS!!!

I never could understand, but it all makes sense to me now.

Nuff said,

blakstr1

Quote from: joshimoto son on April 19, 2006, 12:59:36 PM
Many unexplained things that happen on this planet can be explained in one simple word.

ALIENS!!!

I WITH YOU GUYS! how else do you explain Lyle Lovett?? ;D
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

McCarter

Dude, they've taken control of your brain!!!! 

Its ok, i can help.  But you are going to have to listen to everything i say.

First, you will beed a foil helmut.  this will deflect any extra terrestrial mind rays that they use to read your mind, control your thoughts, and make you dance the macarena at inopertune times.

Next, you must shave all your body hair off.  The millions of hairs on the human body act as antennas to transfer information about our surrounding to the home planet of the aliens, Zecotr Mormia 7791. 

Your going to need some cows.  Everyone knows that aliens hate cows.  This will keep them from entering your property.  Cows are like Alien Crytonite. 

Watch your back.  Aliens are always watching.  They can morph to look just like us.  The average human would never notice that the guy cutting his grass, or the woman pouring his drink is actually an alien.  But to the trained eye, they are easy to spot.  Pay attention to the hair.  Aliens are not the most up to date creatures.  If you see a Mullet, run!  Other 80s style haircuts usually signal extra terrestrial presense as well.  Big ratted dos are always a sure sign that your mailman is actualy a visitor from another planet.  Remeber all the mullet sporting aliens in South Carolina!?!!?!  Scary.

Stay away from moths as well.  You might think they are harmless little bugs, but they are actual alien spy devices.  They are battery operated and need light to recharge.  that is why they are always hanging around lights for a little while.  once they are fully charged, they hide is closets to eavesdrop on our conversations.  and while they are there, they eat our clothes.  they are not actually eating the clothes, they are storing dead skin particles that are left over in the clothes for further examination once they are transported back to the mothership.

This is all i can tell you for now.  They are watching me.  they are always watching me.  They made me flush a cheesecake down the toilet once.  a whole cheesecake.  and they made me wrap a turtle in raw bacon and take pictures of it.  I dont know why they do the things they do, but i can assure you they are up to no good.

The truth is out there!

Revtro

Tom  <><

More about me:
www.pastortomo.com
[/size]

djkimmel

Quote from: PoorBoy on April 19, 2006, 01:21:32 PM
Next, you must shave all your body hair off. The millions of hairs on the human body act as antennas to transfer information about our surrounding to the home planet of the aliens, Zecotr Mormia 7791.

Isn't that the same planet where Zoron - god-empiror of Scientology - reins? (Maybe the fish made some scientologists angry?)

McCarter

Hmmm, i do not know this Zoron.  Does he have a Mullet?

blakstr1

the scientologists just had their new leader born into the world, the wee little Cruise baby!!? ;D

(Lord, i apologize for talking about the scientologists and bless the pigmees down in New Guinea, Amen.)
Blake Arkwood
www.teambass.net
www.quantumfishing.com

Skulley

I hear this is what happens when people quit drinking...........or going to Hooters............. :o

BD           ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Yeah. Back to the dead fish - seems more reports than normal and lots of muskies. Could still be out of proportion, but a 'new' member on St. Clair.net is definitely hinting at rumors and big things. Just nothing concrete. The latest was expect news in the Detroit News about a 'big screwup' of some kind, but I can't think what would cause fish kills in creeks, canals, the lake and the Detroit River.

I'm not reporting anything unless it is verified. A shame to lose fish, but spring stress always kills some out there every year.