Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 06:08:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Tube Rod

Started by MLB, January 16, 2010, 11:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLB

1st I'd like to thank Dan Kimmel for helping me pick up some tubes and dropshot baits at the novi show.THANK YOU!.
I'm fishing my 3rd year on lake erie and I'm looking for some help to pick out a 7-71/2' spining rod to fish 25' and deeper with tubes on lake erie for smallies. All help is appreciated.
Thanks Mike.

macbass

mlb my tube rod and i use it every time i go fishing is a 7 1/2 foot medium actio B & R outlaw spinning rod combined with a wavespin dhxl spinning reel and 10 pound p line floroclear line. I have used this combination for about 3 years and it works for me...

IF ITS NOT A CAT ITS A DOG: BASSCAT PERFORMANCE BOATS www.thedropshotdenny.com www.hookednhunted.com

TCook

I use the G Loomis SJR902 for dragging and when you need to make long casts when they are spooky, I dont think there is a rod that casts a tube further than this one. This rod is 7'6" with a moderate mid section so not ideal unless you need to move alot of line to get a good hook set and you rarely lose fish when hooked up. For verticle deep water or any other times I am throwing a tube I am going to use the G Loomis BSR852 that I just bought. It is 7'1" with alot of backbone and a extra fast tip. Was going to use it as a dropshot rod but I think it is to stiff for that, still will give it a try though.
FISH HARD!!!

Waterfoul

I use the same rod for t-rig and tubes.  7' Medium Heavy fast tip St. Croix Avid spinning rod.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

BryanP

Dobyns DX 742 SF or 743 SF (7'4"), or DX 783 (7'8").  I'm a huge fan of longer spinning rods (7'+), and these rods were pretty much designed for the Great Lakes. 

fiker

I think that Bender may still have a Loomis tube rod that he was trying to sell.

I have a  7" B & R Outlaw Medium spinning rod that I think I'd like to sell.  I was thinking around $65.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Bender

I sold those two Bronzebacks last fall. Now I just have one 7'6" Mag-Light GLX. It launches tubes a mile but is a little light on hooksets. I need to remember to set it like a jig and then I'll be doing a lot better.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

VinceR

For deep water tubes and drop shotting I use 7'6" BPS Extremes in medium action. I like the longer rods for moving a lot of line on the hookset, and better control with lighter line.

I also use 7'6" rods for cranking and spinnerbaits.

djkimmel

I would recommend you take a look at the 7 1/2 foot Grandt Rod All American's here also: http://www.grandtrods.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=AMPS-Spinn-76

I have 4 Grandt rods and love them all. I don't have a special tube rod yet. I have a lighter 7 1/2 footer I use for lighter tubes and drop shot. It's a medium light XLH70 series, but all my other rods are the All American's. Very nice rods, made in the US with a lifetime warranty.

In case you do call them, make sure you mention you are a GreatLakesBass.com member.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

MLB

Thanks for the info.fiker I sent you a email.
I have another question how do you tell how sensitive a rod is.
Thanks Mike

Skulley

I use a Quantum KVD 7 1/2 ft Medium Heavy Action spinning rod for fishing tube baits.

BD         ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

baggerslimm

I use a St. Croix 7'6' legend elite.. I'm also looking at a BPS 7'6" johnny morris elite..  The Bps rod comes with recoil guides and felt pretty nice.. Most likely have 1 shortly.. Slimm
04 BassCat Cougar Ftd..

skeeterman190

In the past few seasons i have use the Shimano Crucial 7'2"MH ds rod for my tube fishing its a great rod for it at a reasonable price. Buts as trends have it i am falling into the GLoomis loop and plan on Purchasing a 803 GLX jig worm 6'8"MH that i think will work wonder for me..im vertically challenged and that rod feels perfect. for me. Id say dont indulge into a huge investment until u know what feels right for u
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

skeeterman190

Thanks for the info.fiker I sent you a email.
I have another question how do you tell how sensitive a rod is.
Thanks Mike 
Ha well to be honest with ya the price tag..
NEVER GIVE UP!!!

Gary Yamamota Baits
www.baits.com
Ice Mountain Water
www.icemountainwater.com

bigjc

For every day tubing I use my trusty Kistler 6' 9" Med/fast, but when I want to get them out there a bit farther or with heavier tubes I use a Kistler Helium LTA 7' 6" Med. Heavy/fast, my next rod will be a 2009 Kistler Helium LTA 7' Med.  this rod has been discontinued but they have a few left.  Guess I had better find a few more side jobs.

Skulley

I also use at times the Daiwa Tony Bean Smallmouth Series spinning rod.  It is a 6 foot 6 inch rod specifically made for smallmouth fishing.  You won't find them.  Daiwa discontinued them about 10 years ago or so.  I still have two or three of them.

BD          ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

LonLB

I'm looking for a tube rod also.

I'm tossing around the idea of a Rogue based custom rod at 7'9

Otherwise I'm torn between the 7'4 and the 7'7 Bronzeback rods from Loomis.

I think Rogue makes a 7'6 Spin Jig rod. These are great rods. Probably the most underrated rods built today.

MIBassKid

Lon- if you are looking for a rogue rod. Check out Dan at Eliterods.com. He makes custom rods out of rogue blanks with the new micro guides. Tell him Luke sent you.

LGMOUTH

Quote from: LonLB on January 18, 2010, 01:39:51 PM

I'm tossing around the idea of a Rogue based .
custom rod at 7'9

Otherwise I'm torn between the 7'4 and the 7'7 Bronzeback rods from Loomis.

I think Rogue makes a 7'6 Spin Jig rod. These are great rods. Probably the most underrated rods built today.

My favorite rod is a 7' 6" spin jig rod with the recoil guides Med. I dont throw a tube very much but I do throw an erie darter ALOT and that is the rod that I use for that. I have not found a rod that can work as well as it. I would highly recommend it.
When you are in any contest you should work as if there whereto the very last minute a chance to loose it.

LonLB

Well I have it narrowed down to four choices.

Any help or recommendations appreciated. I need a rod for split shotting, drop shotting and tubes. A bit of a compromise I know, but I'm only getting one more rod this year.

Loomis 7'1 Mossyback BSR 852. 7'1 M XF, 1/8-3/8

Loomis Bronzeback rod 7'4 M F 1/8-3/8

Loomis Bronzeback rod 7'7 MH F 1/4-3/4

I am happy with Loomis rods and have others. I've checked out both bronzeback rods in person, I like both. Have not checked out the Mossyback rod but I understand it's a very fast action similar to the Mossyback BCR casting rods.

The last choice is a Rogue Spin/jig in 7'6 M F 1/8-5/8. For an extra $30 I'll have recoil guides put on it.
I also have a Rogue spinning rod and am happy with it. I honestly think it's a better rod than the Loomis offerings. What's making it a hard decision is the fact should I break it I will be out another $240 vs if I break a Loomis I'll be out $50.

The Rogue has a lifetime warranty, but it's not a no questions asked warranty.

I like the longer and heavier Loomis for tubes, But I also need a split shot/mini Carolina rig rod, and a finesse jig rod for jigs smaller than what I would use on my baitcasting jig rods.