Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 07:53:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Tube Rod

Started by MLB, January 16, 2010, 11:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

River Rat

Quote from: LonLB on February 03, 2010, 09:53:53 AM

The Rogue has a lifetime warranty, but it's not a no questions asked warranty.

If it's an unconditional warranty you're after, check out Grandt Rods and Madwags, you will not be disappointed!

Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

TCook

Stick with Loomis! That BSR852 might be a little heavy for split and drop shotting. Its got alot of backbone but a nasty extra fast tip so you might still get away with those techniques but perfect for tubes or any other soft plastics in my opinion. I just got the GLX version for $300 shipped and could probably find you a similar deal on a new one. Im sure you could get the mossyback for about $180-200 if you check out ebay and BBC.
FISH HARD!!!

TCook

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-Loomis-BSR852-Mossyback-Bass-Senko-Rod_W0QQitemZ230414116869QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a5c06805

The best deal I can find on ebay for the mossyback. A power seller, brand new rod, and $11.55 for shipping so $191.55 to your door. There are a two sellers with the GLX version who are asking for best offer you might be able to get for around $300.
FISH HARD!!!

LonLB

That rod might be my best choice the more I think about it. It will honestly get used for other plastics more than for tubes. And I'm concerned the extra length of the 7'7 model will make it cumbersome for some of the plastic presentations.

How does it handle lures on the higher end of it's rating? 3/8oz for instance.

TCook

I have not used it on the water yet but I think it will handle up to 1/2oz just fine since it has more backbone than your normal medium spinning rod. My intentions is for an all around spinning rod for plastics so I don't need to bring as many rods being a co-angler. A couple of the guys that fish the bfl swore by the 852 for tubes and dropshot so I checked it out at a store and loved the action on it. One of the guys was the points leader so it must work well for those techniques since that is what he throws on Erie/st clair.
FISH HARD!!!

LonLB

Well I think that sells it for me.
I'll wait and get the 7'7 rod if I start fishing the great lakes more and drag tubes there.

I have a mossback 853 casting rod and love the action of it. I think this spinning rod will be spot on for what I want to do with it.

Maybe I can convince myself to step up from the regular Pflueger Supreme that I normally use to an XT model to team up with this rod.

BryanP

Not to confuse things for you, but there are two rods that will do everything you're looking for very well and then some in the Dobyns lineup.  The DX 742 SF and DX 743 SF.  They're both 7'4", extremely balanced, and not cumbersome to fish with at all.  Not sure where you're located, but Lunkers in Edwardsburg should have them in stock now, as does Mike's Rx Baits.  They have the $60 no hassle warranty along with their standard limited lifetime warranty.  I spent a lot of time fishing with Chip Harrison last summer/fall, and he told me the 742 is his new favorite rod for St Clair tubes and drop shotting.  He had 3 of them out on the deck at all times.  The rod really loads up nice and has a lot of backbone.  It could even be used for spilt shotting depending on your preference.  The 743 might be better for that and it's an awesome finesse jig and heavy tube rod.

Both of these rods are faster than the 7'7" bronzeback but not as fast as the BSR 852, and have more power IMO.  In fact I cut the tip down on my 7'7" Bronzeback to make it more to my liking. I had a BSR 852 both GLX and Mossyback and thought I'd really like them when I first got them, but they were way too fast for me so I got rid of both right away.  It really boils down to what you like, which is why there are so many options out there.

TCook

I gotta say I am about sold on dobyns myself, that DX742SF might be my next rod purchase. I need to use one on the water before I pull the trigger though. I doubt you can get a deal on any but atleast retail is about $70 cheaper than the GLX.
FISH HARD!!!

BryanP

Tcook--I'll tell you I am really impressed with that 742.  If you ever get a chance to talk to Chip Harrison, ask him about that rod.  I really think the actions of both the 742 and 743 are what you're looking for.  They actually make a 782 and 783 (both 7'8") too. I have the 783 and it's a real nice tube rod for 3/8 oz on up if you like longer rods.  When you hook one on that rod, you own 'em. 

TCook

Maybe Chip would take me fishing and let me try out his Dobyns rods hahaha.
FISH HARD!!!

baggerslimm

Can someone post a link to the 742-743...  I can't find them... Thanks slimm
04 BassCat Cougar Ftd..

mikesmiph

BryanP

They're in the Champion Extreme series.  Not sure where you're located, but GLB Sponsor Mikes Rx Baits has them in stock as does Lunkers if you want to put your hands on one.  Al & Bob's should have them shortly.

Lightningboy

OK, here's my .02

Can't say as to the other mentioned rods, haven't used them.  I've got two "big water tube rods" based on the Rogue 711SJ2.  Excellent distance casters.  Work like a big shock absorber on a fish, but with plenty of power in the butt to manhandle one if needed.  We've caught multiple big smallies on these, and never felt overpowered.