Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 29, 2024, 11:49:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Michigan Catch and Release Bass Season Opener Saturday April 24th 2010

Started by djkimmel, November 23, 2009, 02:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

djkimmel

Michigan's catch and immediate release bass season opens the last Saturday in April - April 24th for 2010 - for all lower peninsula inland and Great Lakes waters.

Please see that latest MDNR fishing guide for exceptions and special regulations for seasons.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Skulley

Can't get here quick enough!!!   :o    So when is the spring DK Open going to be and did you invite Megan Fox.    :P     ::)     And yeah I am going to start that again!!!!    ;)

BD            ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

djkimmel

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

Waterfoul

Thanks for the info Dan.

But...... A closed seaon on bass in Michigan only forces me to spend my dollars in Illinois, Indiana and Missouri for nearly 4 months... and I'm not the only one.  I would love to legally fish for bass as soon as the ice is gone... great fishing that time of the year.  This is one thing the new DNRE needs to take a look at changing, in my (bass fishingaholic) opinion. 
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Skulley

Waterfoul, I think a lot of here on the board share that opinion!!!

BD          ;D
If You Can't Fish With The Big Dogs.........Stay On The Dock!!!!!!

Dodge Ram Trucks
www.ramtrucks.com

Fish For Free
www.fishforfree2.com

Waterfoul

That's because I'm RIGHT!   :D   And there are a lot of bass fishingaholics on this site!   ;D  ;D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

Skip Johnson

I'll second that, have a good winter everyone and lets try to keep the frustrated cabin fever posts down to a minimum...I may be guilty of one or two myself  ::) Im sure a few here can agree they have also  ;D

I was out last saturday on Erie, I first launched at Bolles Harbor and fished till noon and had decent success then trailered up to Erie Metro and fished out a few miles and did good there also, I might get out a couple more times and then I will be on about a 125 looong day count down, right now were at 146 days  :o
Go Big or Go Home!

bob o

does anybody know of anyone that has gotten ticketed for "bass" fishing before the early season opens? i haven't fished early since the dnr changed the rules a few years back. i liked having a few lakes open early for catch and release only. it is too bad they changed the rules b/c that season opened on april 2 (my bday)

Waterfoul

I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket.  Therefore... if they aren't going to ticket you... why have a closed season?

Durand Dan

I've been stoped and questioned in of all places, shore fishing on the Shiawasse River.

dartag

I plan on being on White Lake in Highland for the opener.  That lake has some big smallies and lots of structure.    The White Lake Inn is a great place for lunch. 

djkimmel

dartag, I like how you always work lunch into your fishing plans ;D

dartag

Quote from: djkimmel on November 29, 2009, 10:11:23 PM
dartag, I like how you always work lunch into your fishing plans ;D

Since i am OLD i am learning to enjoy my time on the water. 
Me and Cheetam did that this fall.  It was fun.

I am thinking about starting my own circut.   pick some lakes ( with food and drink ) .   fish till noon,  stop for a break,  fish the afternoon.   no entry fee.  Only bragging rights.

maybe a west side division of the EBA.   

rustydog

It would be nice to have year round open season but it would have to be catch and release through the ice. You wouldn't believe all the people that keep all they catch up here while ice fishing. I have seen guys yell and cuss up a stream when they catch one after season closes. I've had guys call me all kinds of name because I wouldn't give them a bass that I have caught before Jan 1. It don't make since to me when the gills that they are catching eat a hole lot better.

Skip Johnson

Heres a reply to a question that I asked the DNR last year.

"Hi Skip:
I understand your frustration about the current bass regulation situation. At least now the joke only lasts for a few weeks from ice-out to the last Saturday in April. Prior to the C&R season, it ran right into the middle of June on Lake St. Clair. Anyways, the problem is exactly as you identified it. Our conservation officers can write tickets all day long, for bass fishing out of season, but the tickets won't stand up in court as the Judges will ask the angler what he was fishing for and he'll respond, northern pike which are open all year on Lake St. Clair...or rock bass (open all year), or walleye (open all year). Then the Judge will ask the CO if it is possible to catch a northern pike with that spinner bait or tube bait, and the officer will answer yes, and that's the end of that case and the Judge scolds the CO for wasting valuable court time. As a result, conservation officers won't write those tickets anymore because they don't want to waste their time going to court to lose the case over and over again.

It's becoming practically impossible to enforce a closed fishing season for any particular species as long as any other species has an open season that overlaps. The muskie season closure on Lake St. Clair is another example, with a few guys now fishing for "big northern pike" during the month of April and May when muskie season is closed. Again, not much our Law Enforcement Officers can do about it. The only real way to have a "closed season" anymore is to have no fishing allowed at all for any species (like the trout water closure that exists on many trout streams). Closed seasons were really designed to address harvest, not catch and release fishing, which was practically unknown 50-60 years ago when many closed season regulations were originally started.

I do believe that eventually, there will be catch and release seasons for most of the year for most species. I think that this change will take place slowly. I hope that bass anglers can understand that MDNR biologists haven't ignored bass anglers and their interest in extended catch and release fishing because we don't care about bass or bass fisheries. In fact, in my opinion, the slow DNR move to expand bass fishing catch-and-release opportunities has been largely because MDNR biologists care so much about the bass fishery that we don't want to do anything that could potentially damage it without careful consideration.

I don't think there will ever be year-around open seasons that include harvest for predator species like LMB, SMB, etc.

I hope this answers some of your questions."

Go Big or Go Home!

djkimmel

I think that is a nice response. Angler friendly and honest. It has been a challenging topic. As he says, things are coming around. Took 20 years this last time, but it won't take that long the next time. It is as much waiting for anglers to come around as anything else. So many people have a hard time with change.

My advice, be nice to everyone you meet. Don't show a blatant disregard for present regulations. I'm not saying stop fishing. Just please consider that some people react negatively just because of the fishing out of season. I have a bass boat and I know even if I am fishing for crappie some people will think I'm bass fishing, but we don't need to win everyone over. We just need to win as many people over as we can and also be prepared for compromise at times. At least for special cases.

Some states are going through similar things and a few are even lagging behind.

Waterfoul

Hmmm... fishing... White Lake Inn... sounds like a good idea to me!  Been to the Inn several times over the years... but have never fished the lake!  How about we set a date right now?  Saturday, April the 10th work for you guys??   ;)   ;D

dartag

Quote from: Waterfoul on December 01, 2009, 04:46:27 PM
Hmmm... fishing... White Lake Inn... sounds like a good idea to me!  Been to the Inn several times over the years... but have never fished the lake!  How about we set a date right now?  Saturday, April the 10th work for you guys??   ;)   ;D

14 days early,  won't be crowded.  The 24th should be good if we get a warm spring.  I was there a couple weeks ago and can not believe the amount of stuff on the bottom.  rocks, cement blocks, tires wood old docks.  the smallie sight fishing should be great.   

Waterfoul

Exactly... who wants to fight the crowd while rockbass and pike fishing??   ::)