Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 07:48:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Humminbird 997 side imager

Started by LennyB, November 17, 2009, 11:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennyB

I'm considering purchasing a Humminbird 997c side imager and was hoping to get some feed back from current user. Does the unit paint a picture of the bottom like you would want it to or is it a lot of hype??? Would you purchase one again??? I plan to. use it mainly on St. Clair and Erie to locate small rocky areas, and schools of fish in the deeper sections of the lake. Can it do this effectively or is it a waste of money???

Genie

Grand Rapids, MI
Stop Wishin' and get Fishin' with MyFishingLogs.com
http://www.myfishinglogs.com

Insanity - Doing the same thing and expecting different results.  Stop the insanity!

VinceR

No hype. This unit is the "real deal". The returns on "hard" items (rocks/boulders, stumps, trees, man-made debris) are extremely detailed and clear. I haven't even scratched the surface with mine, yet, and I just finished the second full year with it.

I'm really excited about the upcoming "Down-Imaging" down load that is supposed to be available in the near future. That should add another very useful dimension.

mikesmiph

I too am looking at getting am H-Bird Si before spring. I understand the bigger screen on the 1100's is worth the money. Any feedback on this? Everyone I have talked to loves the SI.

Waterfoul

How about a 997 SI with the NVB for $1700.  Anyone interested?  It's my last one.  Shipped for free.

Mike
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

BryanP

Mikesmiph--Bigger is always better when it comes to Side Imaging because it makes things easier to see.  Just think about how much info gets compressed in to a smaller screen.  That's not saying the smaller 700 series is useless, but if you can afford it go with the biggest screen you can.  I ran the 1197 at the console the past 2 seasons.  It makes the 997 I have on the bow look small!

canvsbk

Buy it. Period. The bigger the better but you won't be disappointed in a 798.
Look past what they want you to see.

Bender

Mine has seriously taken away fishing time...In a good way. I do spend a lot of time driving around looking at stuff, it is incredible. I can guarantee that I would have really struggled on the lakes up here if it were not for the SI.
Here's a video I made, it is compressed so maybe not as clear as on the unit itself:

And here are a few pictures. Note that all of these were taken with 455Hz which shows less detail than 800. 455 has a broader beam and is better for searching for objects whereas 800 shows more detail. I didn't know that until recently so if I get a chance I'll pull some pictures from the unit soon that were taken using 800. These are all waypoints and when you are looking at a lake and moving the cursor around these pictures show up so that you can see what each waypoint is when you highlight it.

Isolated rock pile:

Fish on something, maybe a log:

Bridge submerged in Ford Lake:

Car in Ford Lake, actually I found three there:

Fish on the bottom:

The Navionics Explorer software was probably the best money I ever spent for fishing with the 997 a close second even though it was expensive.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

Mark117

shhhhhhhhhhhhhh! don't tell everyone our little secrets???
catching bass without you is hard enough!

jj sniper

dartag

be carefull fishing around that car.  I have heard stories about fish getting hooked swimming inside the car and rolling up the windows to cut the line.

sure would love to use one on my lake to see what is down there...

River Rat

Quote from: Waterfoul on November 17, 2009, 04:07:19 PM
How about a 997 SI with the NVB for $1700.  Anyone interested?  It's my last one.  Shipped for free.

Mike

Hey Mike, does that include the transducer?!  How about the warranty?  Not sure if I can get prior approval from "Mrs Penny-pincher" but it's worth a shot.

Scott
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

Waterfoul

Complete unit... transducer and all!!  Warranty starts when you buy it.  One year manufacturers.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

mikesmiph

fiker

Riding around in Bender's boat this past year I found the unit amazing.

He's right, we would spend some time cruising scoping things out.  But, when we'd see those little white indicators on the screen we'd stop and catch fish.

When I finally get my boat, I'll actually give up horsepower on the outboard to be able to afford the SI.  I don't need to scream around at high speeds, as I don't tournament fish. But, when I take my young grandson out to go fishing, I know how important it is to put him on fish quickly. 

Heck, forget the kid, I need it too.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

peters_skeeter

With that unit, when you find a spot with that cursor, can you mark a way point and then move the boat right over the top of it?
A pessimist curses the wind...
A optimist waits for the wind to change...
But a realist adjust his sails...

djkimmel

Yes. You can mark a spot with the cursor anywhere on the screen, then go back to it. I don't have one, but I have found the opportunity to get in several boats that have them and I'm amazed by the things you can see. No doubt.

That's a log. That's a bunch of bedding bluegills. That's a tree. That's a sunken boat. That's a big rock. That's a sunken bridge and there's a log sticking out of the edge... Almost no guess work needed anymore.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

SethV

Quote from: djkimmel on November 22, 2009, 11:12:00 PM
Yes. You can mark a spot with the cursor anywhere on the screen, then go back to it. I don't have one, but I have found the opportunity to get in several boats that have them and I'm amazed by the things you can see. No doubt.

That's a log. That's a bunch of bedding bluegills. That's a tree. That's a sunken boat. That's a big rock. That's a sunken bridge and there's a log sticking out of the edge... Almost no guess work needed anymore.

I love my 997.  Way cool.  It is the real deal!  I would like the 1100 series better, but the 997 does pretty well as I also have my Lowrance 520 beside it.

River Rat

Quote from: Waterfoul on November 21, 2009, 08:38:53 PM
Complete unit... transducer and all!!  Warranty starts when you buy it.  One year manufacturers.

I talked to the Misses over the wknd and throwing around $$ figures between the 997 and the Lowrance SS to go w/ my HDS and she's mulling over the switch and she seems receptive so far.  Any idea what the cost will be for Hummingbird's "Down Imaging" and when it may be available?!

Thx,
Scott

mikesmiph

I heard it was going to be a free upgrade. Just download it off the internet.

River Rat

I heard that too, just need to 2x chk.  I was told the Lowrance SS was going to be $250 and now it's $600...