Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:53:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Humminbird 997 side imager

Started by LennyB, November 17, 2009, 11:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiker

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

SethV

Quote from: mikesmiph on November 23, 2009, 03:30:47 PM
I heard it was going to be a free upgrade. Just download it off the internet.

Yep!  And they have a new color scheme for the regular sonar that makes it look more like Lowrance - also a free upgrade!

Joby @ Humminbird

When you purchase a 798, 997 or a 1197 all you need is a software upgrade from the Humminbird website www.humminbird.com to get the New Down Imaging. The 898 and the 998 will come with the New Down Imaging software. The software is free of charge.

BryanP

Don't forget about Lakemaster compatability and an awesome waypoint management menu, also new for 2010! ;D

djkimmel

I love my Lakemaster chip too so that is great news!!!

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

djkimmel

I hope Joby doesn't mind that I swiped a copy of her message from the other thread over to here for those looking of Humminbird Side and Down Imaging:

"Here is a shot of the New Humminbird Down Imaging and the New Color Palette."

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

River Rat

Seth,

If it's not gonna interfere with your "competitive edge" can you tell me the benefits of having both the 520 and 997 "side by side"?  I've got the HDS 5 and hate to just kick it to the curb at this time plus I look at my console and can't imagine having the room for both on the rail (I have my flasher in-dash and like that for top speed cruising depth).

Thx,
Scott
Dearborn, MI and Lake Wales, FL

River Rat

Sorry, more questions:

1) Does the 997 (or forthe coming 998) have the 3D or "Shaded Relief" picture like the HDS Lake Insight for depth contours?

2) Does the transducer need to be mounted to the transom or can it work "shoot thru"?  Has anyone tried the XM Weather?

3) For the HDS, has anyone tried the Sirius radio and weather add-on?

Not trying to hijack the thread but I'm getting much closer to the switch or even using both and am listening to all sides.

BryanP

River Rat--The 997 and 998 acccept the Navionics Platinum, which is 3D mapping, but to be honest I never use it. I haven't played with the Lake Insight stuff, but from what I've seen it looks similar to Navionics Platinum.

The HB Side Imaging transducer must mounted outside the boat, same with Structure Scan.  It's just the nature of the technology.  Pretty much all the bass guys I know are epoxying a standard dual beam puck in hull, mounting the SI transducer on either the jackplate or higher up on the transom, and using a y-cable to connect the two to the unit.  What this does is give you 2D sonar readings at high speeds using ine in hull transducer, and SI readings from the SI ducer.  By mounting the SI transducer on the jackplate or higher on the transom, it's out of the water at high speed and in a place where it's portected and less succeptible to damage.  If you're already dealing with Lake Drive Marine, they know all about this rigging method.

XM weather works fine, but just know that it doesn't include Canada.  Which is really ok when you think about it because you're going to see any storms over MI approaching Erie or LSC from the west.

SethV

Quote from: River Rat on November 25, 2009, 08:04:52 AM

If it's not gonna interfere with your "competitive edge" can you tell me the benefits of having both the 520 and 997 "side by side"?  I've got the HDS 5 and hate to just kick it to the curb at this time plus I look at my console and can't imagine having the room for both on the rail (I have my flasher in-dash and like that for top speed cruising depth).

Scott-  I use my Lowrance for storing all of my waypoints - it is networked to the graph up front, so it is nice to have it at the console.  It also leaves the 997 screen uncluttered on the map view.  Tx day I only load the waypoints I know I need on the 997.  My GPS antenna for the lowrance is on the trolling motor, so I can be dead on with my waypoints.  My 997 antenna is on the back, above the SI transducer.

I also like the conventional sonar better on the lowrance - I have not tried the new colors from HB, so we will see.  It is just nice having the 997 on map for contours & SI, with the Lowrance on regular sonar & map with waypoints.

I would love to have another 997 up front to go with my lowrance up there.  I love "video fishing" with the Lowrance, can't wait to see how it will work with the 'down scan'.

Seth

River Rat

Seth - That all makes sense and I appreciate you sharing the information, thx.  I'm going to take all that into account when I reconfigure my set-up this off season.

BryanP - Thx for the info on the equipment and set-up.  If I make a go of it, I'll get the NVB w/ the unit and hopefully from Waterfoul if he still has it when I make up my mind.

Scott