Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 01:43:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Carrot stix, anyone?

Started by fowlmouth, June 25, 2009, 07:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fowlmouth

I'm looking for a new rod and am considering the carrot stix, I'm not real crazy about the foam handles.
Anyone here using them? I'm wondering if this is the kind of foam that will turn your hands black?

McCarter

its not foam like they use on cheapo rods, its a material called thermalon. you will like it.  i thought i would hate it but its actually very comfy and you get better grip.  plus it will hold up a lot longer than cork.

go with the carrot stix.  they are great rods!

Waterfoul

I haven't been impressed with them enough to buy any.  My old partner has 4 I believe and he really likes them.  As for me, I'll stick to my St. Croix Legends and Shimano Crucial arsenal.
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

play for keeps

i agree...i think the shimano crucials are the way to go...soon i will b getting another one to add to my arsenal
nemesis baits

palehorse custom rods

bassassasin88

I would love to have a set of carrot stix. Sweetest looking rod I have ever seen. Bass Pro Shops carries them if you have not held one yet. Personally this winter I plan on getting a few of the Falcon BuCKOO rods. They just came out. unnamed carries them, and they are only 99.00-109.00$. Made in America. Fuji hardware. Same style as the carrot stix, but they are all black. You may want to check those out as well. I also heard that the St Croix Mojo rods are nice.

dashaver63

I can vouch for the St. Croix MOJO rods, they are nice rods. Very light weight. I use the 7' Medium heavy and even with the soft tip, I can still flip with them, a lot of backbone. They are best though with spinnerbaits and lipless cranks.

bigjc

I looked at the St. Croix MoJo, but it is way heavier than my Kistlers,  I have to stick with my Kistler Mag TX series.  Sweetest rods I have ever laid my hands on.

thedude

just imagine how light those carrot stix would be if they didn't have all that orange paint and finish on them..... ;D

West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Waterfoul

Quote from: thedude on June 28, 2009, 09:45:30 PM
just imagine how light those carrot stix would be if they didn't have all that orange paint and finish on them..... ;D

LOL!!   :D
Addicted to fishing.  All the time, any species, anywhere!!  Especially in West Michigan!!!

play for keeps

hey, also check out AIRRUS RODS they just came out with some new models.....i have a ultra xl and its light, strong, and sensitive
nemesis baits

palehorse custom rods

fiker

I decided last year that I'd save my money, and buy some "really good rods".

After much research, I ended up purchasing two St. Croix Avids. One bait casting, and one spinning.  I love em both.  

They are each very light weight, can accurately cast a mile, and they are also very sensitive.  They are backed by the St. Croix warranty.  

I always wondered if expensive rods were worth the money.  I gotta say that at about $170 apiece, these Avids really are.  

They aren't that much more money than the Crucials, or the Carrot sticks, but I felt that they were a much better rod.  I even liked them better than the $150 G Loomis.  

Next Year I hope to pick up a couple more.  
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Strat200XL

I havent used the Falcon Bucoo rods yet but if you want a great quality rod  would go with Falcon kinda hard to find up here in the North but its deffinetlly worth it when you get them I have all Cara series casting rods and Lowrider spinning rods and world never even think about changing to anything else as soon as I get my hands on the New Falcons I will post it for sure.

Later Guys

MadWags

http://www.boydduckett.com/

Must read. Boyd leaves Carrots!

I've parted company with a major sponsor: E-21
July 14th, 2009 — Bassmaster Tour

I made an announcement late yesterday that I've parted ways with E-21, a sponsor for the past three seasons. I understand this is unusual. It's possible I'll be able to say more about this in the future. But as for now, here is what was released. And it's about all I'm in position to say right now.

———————————–

DEMOPOLIS, Alabama – Boyd Duckett, the 2007 Bassmaster Classic champion and one of the top professional anglers on the ESPN B.A.S.S. Elite Series tour, announced today that he is parting company with E-21, one of his primary sponsors for the past three years.

Duckett said he has severed ties with E-21 because of "strong disagreements over construction of the Carrot Stix series rods" and "because of the financial instability" of the Toronto, Canada-based company. Duckett said he believes his reputation as an angler and businessman would have been damaged had he maintained his relationship with the company.

The Demopolis, Alabama-based Duckett and rod-designer Ken Whiting created the concept that became Carrot Stix rods. In 2007, E-21 began manufacturing and distributing the popular, orange rods.

Duckett learned recently that the Carrot Stix rods being sold in stores are not built as Duckett and Whiting had originally discussed. The rods are different from the prototypes that won iCast in 2007. The rods are also different than the Carrot Stix rods Duckett uses while fishing on tour.

"I've learned this from my own experience with the new rods E-21 gave me. I have also learned this from other people. During the past few months I have voiced my rod concerns as well as concerns about E-21's financial status, and E-21 has not satisfied those concerns. It bothers me a lot to part ways with a sponsor I'm attempting to work with as a partner. But one of the primary reasons I've taken this action is that, up to now, these rods had my name on them. My reputation is at stake," Duckett said.

"The bottom line is that we have strong differences of opinion over the whole Carrot Stix concept. For example, I'm concerned about the general quality of the rods being made and how warranties are being honored. And I've learned that there are too many warranty claims being made for me to continue putting my endorsement on the Carrot Stix. I don't want any part of the direction E-21 is now going."

Duckett also said, "In business sometimes you have to overlook profits to maintain the integrity of both the product and your reputation. And that's the position I feel I'm in. So I felt like even though it's going to be a financial loss, parting ways is the right thing to do."

Duckett, who had previously "tournament fished" for more than 20 years, burst on the national stage in 2007 when he won the Bassmaster Classic and the Bassmaster Legends, a "major" tournament. That year, Duckett set a single-season B.A.S.S. earnings record. Duckett also owns a successful product-transport business: Southern Tank Leasing, an Alabama-based enterprise with terminals in 14 Southern and Midwestern states.

"My goal as a business-owner and an angler is to make sure my partnerships and alliances are with companies that offer business and moral integrity. If integrity is jeopardized, you have to take action. That's why I've chosen to sever my partnership with E-21, and I've demanded that any association to my name or likeness be removed from Carrot Stix," Duckett said.

"On a more personal level, I go to tournaments, fishing seminars and shows all over the country. People often look to pro anglers to give them advice about our sport and the products we use. I want to be comfortable that I'm offering the right advice."
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

MadWags

Bottom line is, save your money on this one. I always had my reservations on this thing since I first set eyes on it. The whole carrot fiber thing is a joke if you ask me. I hate orange as a color anyways. Like many other companies, once they get their foot in the door they build em cheap or overseas to make more money and then when they come back in droves on warranty they stop honoring warranties. Boyd made the right decision.

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

Mojo

;D
Ill third (or fourth ??) thet Shimano Crucial.

Since the carrotstick is defined by it being sensitive - it has to compete directly with the drop shotting 6'8 med Shimano with the UF tip ... and it cant. Add the BPS / Shimano 'no questions' over the counter lifetime warranty - why would you go any other way ?
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

Bender

From a couple people I know who have recently tried it, BPS no longer does the over the counter warranty on Shimanos. To the best of knowledge Cabelas is the only one that does this still.
- Chris
www.nemesisbaits.com

MadWags

That is because alot of these warranties are at the discretion of the retailer and not directly from the manufacturer. Read your warranties closely. They are filled with legal mumbo jumbo.
In other words they are conditional warranties.

MBell

Bass pro Auburn Hills no longer does over the counter.  Snapped a crucial and they wouldn't take it.  Sent it to shimano, took about 2 weeks but it was replaced.  When I bought my crucials from them, they were really pushing the over the counter thing.  It was the single reason I bought them instead of Avids.  BTW I have had my Drop shot series rod snap on me twice, good rod but too much backbone for the tip.
-Matt

Mojo

Just dropped one off right before Burt Mullet. Gave me over the counter no questions ??? Has something recently - like 1 - 2 weeks ago - changed ?
Thanks Dan for bringing year round Catch and Release to Michigan

joshimoto son

Wags,
You got proof... or are we all going to go through this again.

that's why I own Carrot Sticks. "Bottom Line"

Just my humble opinion....

Josh