Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:27:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Bass Fishing near Lansing

Started by jacksonmj, June 23, 2009, 10:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacksonmj

I'm getting stationed in Lansing for the next four years and need to know what are the best lakes or areas around Lansing to do some bass fishing. Also does anyone know if there are any Bass Clubs that are in the Lansing area. Thanks and I like the site took me long enough to find one.

gr@ssmonkey

welcome to the site jacksonmj,i don,t know the stuff to fish in lansing i'm up in grand rapids about a 1/2 hour west of u,but someone on here will answer your post,your right this site rocks......what do u do in the army(mp?soldier?) just wondering

Cy

Jacksonmj,

Welcome to GLB!  I am also from Grand Rapids but I have fished down in that area once or twice.

The first place you should check out is Lake Ovid at Sleepy Hollow State Park.  It is located a touch North of Lansing right off US-127.  Good fishing and a nice lake.

I hear the Grand River in Lansing and Portland has good small mouth fishing but I don't know the details on that.

Good Luck.

Cy
Cyrus Ruel

West Michigan Bass
www.westmichiganbass.com

Xtreme Bass Tackle
www.xtremebasstackle.com

OST
www.ostusa.com

Westside Garage
www.westsidegarage.net

MIBasser

You can also look at Lake Lansing in Haslett.  If you want to fish from shore you can also try Hawk Island.  It's catch and release on bass but you can keep all the panfish you want. 

djkimmel

Some shore fishing on the Grand River in Lansing. There are two parks with boat ramps also - 1 below the BWL dam and 1 above.

There's Grovenburg Park south of town along the Grand River. They also have a trout pond next to the river. Haven't been there in a while.

Lake Ovid is a pure fishing lake. State Park and no wake so boat and shore fishing around the whole lake. Shore fishing at Lake Lansing is limited, but there's a nice boat ramp. Busy lake in the summer.

Round Lake just north of town is a decent small lake. Round Lake party store was renting boats cheap. Haven't checked on that in a while though. Last I knew, you could still rent pontoons from the party store on Lake Ovid too. You have to go to the party store first because they don't have a local presence on the lake.

There's also Lake Independence off of I-96 and Canal Rd in the SW corner of town. And another small lake - forget the name - just north a couple miles on Canal Rd - mostly shore fishing only - these are borrow pits that are either stocked (Independence) or were private (the other one owned by the Board of Water and Light) and opened to the public.

That should get you started. Keep up on here and maybe you can meet some new fishing partners too. Thanks for signing up.

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

jacksonmj

Thanks everyone for the replys. Gives me a good start. I'm actually in the Navy and I'm getting stationed at the Reserve center in Lansing. I can't wait to get out there and try for some of the smallmouth you guys have there should be fun. I do have a question about the bass season there, I looked at a few posts and it looks like it started in May but can you catch and release bass through out the year? I only catch and release so just wondering. Thanks again and I hope to meet up with some people that know how to fish the area once I'm there. I have to drive from Utah to Michigan so it may take a week but I will be there in July and can't wait to get some fishing in.

Durand Dan

Welcome jacksonmj. Bass season in Michigan opens with catch and release the last Sat. in April and catch and keep the last Sat. in May, although you won't find many here that eat Bass ;D. Another lake in the area is Park Lake which can be fun until the weeds choke it up