Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 06:43:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Lake St. Clair

Started by Firefighter Jeff, May 11, 2009, 11:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firefighter Jeff

Sorry it took so long.  I just got the pictures on the computer today.  Hopefully I won't mess up the pics.  I got out on St. Clair last week.  I got out there about 3 pm Tuesday and fished thru Friday night.  Caught a bunch of fish.  Pretty amazing when I have two slow days and end up with 47 and 50.  The first evening the fishing Gods were kind to me and all the planets were in the right alignment.  I caught 12 bass in the last hour or so of fishing.  The three biggest went 4.9, 5.2 and 6.3.  The first pic is of the 5.2 the second of the 6.3 that went 20 3/4 inches.  I used the timer on my camera to take the pics.

Firefighter Jeff

Ok, How do I make em bigger???  lol   Fish aren't very impressive in those pics  lol

Firefighter Jeff

Ok, let's see if this works.  Sorry for the stumbling.

t-bone

now they are impressive
Terry Bone
Bass Anglers of Michigan
The Bass Boys - TBF Club
2013 Ranger z520c w/ Evinrude ETEC 250

nelsonk44215

those are some awsome looking fish. What was the water temp out there? I have never been out to St. Clair before and I am looking to head out here within the next two weeks. I have heard in front of the mile rds are a good place to try early in the year so that is probably where I will be heading.

Nelson

Adam P.

JDC Baits Pro Staff www.jdcbaits.com

Firefighter Jeff

Mile roads was where I was fishing.  Water temps were running 61 to 63 degrees.  I wanted to cover a lot of ground so I threw rattlebaits mostly.  Saw a lot of fish caught by people draggin tubes and such in a little deeper water.  6 to 10 feet.

bassaddict

Bassasassin and I went out to St. Clair on monday and did decent. Started at 8am water 58 and both muddy and clear. Spots where it was muddy seemed to produce. Drifted tubes (st.clair craw) infront of the ford mansion. Good depths were 8-10 anything else wasnt producing. Caught about 40 and I recieved the "layoff" phone call from the boss when I was on the lake. The bite was odd, they werent swallowing the tube like normal. The bite was almost as if they were on there beds. Picking it up and moving it. They only hit when you gave the tube slack. Also they were spitting up gobys on the way to the boat. Now that I am layed off Im sure I'll be fishing some more. Anybody need a co angler let me know. 
Think with your flippin stick jimmy.

Firefighter Jeff

Well Bassaddict,  first off, I'm real sorry to hear about you being layed off.  Although I had a friend who a couple years back didn't mind being layed off at all  !!!  He was a electrical worker and even though there was work in the next local he stayed layed off and fished  !!!!  lolol

Now, is the Ford Mansion the castle looking huge house just south of 11 mile??

I only once noticed one of my fish puking anything up.  It floated to the top and after getting a look at it, realized to was a 3 to 4 inch largemouth  !!!!

bassassasin88

The ford mansion (forget the actual name) is right at 9 mile, on gaukler point. A lot of rocks in that area.

nelsonk44215

Heading to St. Clair tomorrow morning. Thanks for the report guys. How do you think the wind will be coming out of the wnw at 15mph? Thanks.

Nelson

Firefighter Jeff

Well, If you're fishing the mile roads, then shouldn't be a problem at all.  Best of luck, and let us kow how you do.

Oh and Bass assassin...  I know where that Ford mansion is at, I miss wrote 11 mile for 9 mile.

nelsonk44215

Well, had my first trip out to St. Clair on Sunday. We arrived at the launch around 715 and were fishing by 745. Our first spot was in front of the 400 apts. in 10fow. Water was clear and about 59 degrees. No luck there. We moved up a little shallower to about 6 fow and drifted to 10 and pick up a few fish before moving again down in front of the St. Clair Shores park I believe, not totally sure on name. This is where we had the most luck. The main depth that our fish were caught in was from 7 to 9.5 fow. A few were up a little shallower and only pulled one out deeper than 10ft. The wind got pretty bad around noon so we headed in some canals to target some largemouth. We ended only pulling 4 out of the canals we were in, water clarity was very poor, and so we headed back out to brave the wind. The wind seemed to die down a little around 3 so we ran down to the marina just north of the gaukler point in depths of 8.5 to 9.5 and picked up a few more. We called it quits at 5 and headed back. We ended the day with 28 smallmouth and 4 largemouth and a few rock bass. The 4 biggest were around 18" but not sure of weight, forgot to get battery for scale.

MadWags

Nice fish Jeff.

Edsel Ford House

Memorial Park
Original song and lyrics by "MadWags"

What's with the news these days on the TV and the radio. Can't find the truth amongst the lies. Some talking head that claims to live their life in a better way, says I have to compromise. But now there's something on the rise. Truth has opened up my eyes. There's no running from your dirty lies. You can't avoid the truth. I'll no longer close my eyes.

bassaddict

Hit St Clair on tuesday the 19th at 630am and landed only about 15 smallies. It was tough fishing 10-20 sw winds and the water was chocolate milk. Temp was down about 3 degrees. I finally had enough with my spinning tackle and am replacing my line. Bought 100% FLOUROCARBON last year and didnt want to pay for more. After losing at least 10 fish and 10 tubes on broken line I stopped fishing and unspooled it on the boat. I guess you do have to change it every year. Let me know if the fishing get any easier in the next few days. I have to take my wife out there soon and she talks alot less when shes catching fish. Soo help me out..
Think with your flippin stick jimmy.

Firefighter Jeff

I tried the Trilene 100% florocarbon on both spinning and crankbait rods this year.  I love the 15# I have on my crankbait rod.  Seems extremely strong.  I still have the same line spooled from last year and it's still going strong.  Now the 8 pound I use on my spinning outfit sucked.  Way too stiff for me.  I took it right off.

EKennedy

Not sure if anybody has mentioned this yet...but be sure NOT to overspool your fluoro.  I had a brand new Revo...backlashed incessantly.  Fiker said ..." you got way too much line on there..." so I spooled off about 25 yds...and haven't had a knot since.  AND it's last seasons line.  Seems after a few casts...it loosened up a bit and wasn't so stiff.   Works fine now.  Love it.  Good luck.

ReggieMFD

That bottom pic of the smallmouth looks like it ate the smallmouth on the top pic.  Great job Jeff!!!!
Mark

Old Fishermen Never Die......They Just Smell That Way

Firefighter Jeff

It's all in the photography.  lol  Actually I should have Shell (120)lbs hold the fish instead of me (267)lbs  !!!!