Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:15:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

Mark the "BIRD" Fydrich Died.

Started by bassinman#1, April 13, 2009, 06:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassinman#1

I heard today that the Bird got killed today, they found him underneath his truck. He was a good pitcher.

dashaver63

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090413&content_id=4252328&vkey=news_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

Man, that is terrible news. He is still a fan favorite after 23 years. Just Saturday, I think, I was watching him on the MLBTV Network when he pitched a complete game win against the Yankees in 1976. He will be missed.

motocross269

That is sad to hear....

I remember going to watch the Bird with my little league team in the late 70s...That was a great time for the tigers, he brought alot to a mediocre team in those days......

djkimmel

What year was the championship? That was really my last real year as a Tiger fan...

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

fiker

I used to have a Wilson Mark Fidrych baseball glove.

So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

Fishmael

I believe the championship was in '84.  Back when Kirk Gibson, Alan Trammel and Chet Lemon were all in the lineup!  It is amazing how time can just slip away...

dashaver63

1984 was awesome. 35-5, Morris no-hits the White Sox, Gibson's home run off Gossage in the Series. Awesome! To get back to The Bird, The official cause of death was accidental suffocation. There have been a lot of good memmories brought up about him on Detroittigers.com. He was truly an icon in Detroit sports history. Some things I had forgotten, He lead the A.L. in 1976 with 2.34 ERA. Had 24 complete games. I still believe Ralph Houck wrecked his arm by working him so many innings that year, he wracked up over 250 innings as a rookie. Here's a couple trivia questions for you:
1.) Who was his personal catcher?
2.) Who was the starting National Pitcher in the 1976 All-Star Game?

djkimmel

I used to know the answers to those questions ;D

Didn't the pitcher has a big mustache?

Help stop invasive spcies. Don't move fish between unconnected bodies of water. Clean, drain and dry your boat before launching on another water body.
Unless clearly stated as such, opinions expressed by Dan Kimmel on this forum are not the opinions or policies of The Bass Federation of Michigan.

dashaver63

Randy Jones of the Padres was the National league pitcher that year, I don't remember if he had a mustache or not. Bruce Kimm was his "personal" catcher that year, Bill Freehan was the regular.

djkimmel

I was always Mickey Stanley in our grass lot baseball games though I did not like to choke up on the bat very much.

dashaver63

Thats funny, I was always Norm Cash and learned to hit lefthanded. It's fun to remember those days, isn't it.

fiker

It wasn't pitching too much that ruined his arm. 

At least that's not the urban legend.
So much water.  So many lures.  So little time.

Member of  Downriver Bass Association

www.buildwithmomentum.com 734.649.9390

dashaver63

What actually happened to him was that he was being his goofy self. During spring training in '77, he tried to jump a fence and tore a tendon in his knee. I don't recall if he had the surgery, but hes was out untill June that year. He altered his delivery because of his knee and that's where some of the credit goes. But, in his rookie season, at least 2 or maybe 3 of his complete games were extra inning games. I know 2 of them for sure went 11 innings, I think it was a combination of the 2.

djkimmel

I can't remember that far back too much... I just remember I was jealous of my friend who always got to be Al Kaline... (Norm Cash was supposed to be the bad boy)

dashaver63

One of Norm Cash's most famous quote's was when the Tigers were being no-hit by Nolan Ryan, he went to the plate with a table leg, when he was asked why, he said he couldn't hit him with a bat so I'll try this. True story.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=197307150DET

Another funny quote I just read about "Stormin' " Norman Cash,
"Pro-rated at 500 at-bats per year, my 1,081 strike-outs would mean that for 2 years out of the 14 I played, I never touched the ball."