Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:23:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

D2t

Started by bassassasin88, April 07, 2009, 09:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassassasin88

I got some tiny air bubbles in my epoxy last night, cant barely see them but It still bothers me. Is this due to mixing it wrong? Or maybe I need a new tube? This is the first time I have noticed it. Also, is there a way to keep it from thickening up before the baits even done? Kind of a pain. Is the dick nites more manageable?

Cheetam

Are you using the 5 minute?  It shouldn't be setting up on you so fast.  For bubbles, guys actually say breathe on the bait and it will dissolve them (seriously...check TU).  I have used epoxy in the past, and from my experience, Dick Nite's is more manageable.
Jeff

thedude

you can breath on it before its setup and it should get the bubbles out... if that doesn't work... wave a lighter near it and the bubbles will pop. Just don't hold the lighter in the same spot and boil the epoxy. Also, if you're not thinning it out - add a few drops of acetone while you mix it up. Be careful though because acetone will eat through a plastic or styrofoam cup if it comes in direct contact - so mix it in a drop at a time.

Best way to keep from getting bubbles is to mix the epoxy VERY slowly and use a plastic mixer, not wood ( i use the back end of the paintbrush). Sitting your epoxy under a hot lamp or work light for a minute or 2 will also help get bubbles out, just don't leave it there too long, heat will make commercial epoxies like D2T setup faster.
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

bassassasin88

Its not the 5 minute, its whatever one was recomended on tu. I tried a blow dryer and that didnt help. I do mix it with wood, have to try plastic. It doesnt dry on me it just gets a lot harder to work with. I want to do some swimbaits, but I am affraid to run out of time. After the baits dry they look fine. Where can I get acetone?

thedude

any hardware store or lowe/homedepot will carry it. I think i've bought it at meijer and walmart in the past as well. it'll be around the paint aisle with the thinners. Doesn't take much, just a couple drops
West Michigan Bass www.westmichiganbass.com
Palehorse Custom Rods

Cheetam

Contact Dick Nite and get a sample of his Fishermun's Lure Coat.  I clear coated 10 baits last night (including 2 4-segmented swimbaits) and was able to get 2 coats on all of them without having to worry about the stuff setting up in the jar I use.  It's good stuff...
Jeff

jcox7

Jeff,
Give me a call

Jeff Cox
734-260-2999

Cheetam

Quote from: jcox7 on April 09, 2009, 09:47:43 PM
Jeff,
Give me a call

Jeff Cox
734-260-2999
I'll give you call tomorrow (Friday).
Jeff

bassassasin88

Yeah, Im gonna try the dick nites. Sounds nicer to work with. Anything I should know before I try it?

Cheetam

Quote from: bassassasin88 on April 09, 2009, 11:36:01 PM
Yeah, Im gonna try the dick nites. Sounds nicer to work with. Anything I should know before I try it?
Don't open the can.  It is really sensitive and will start to set up.  Take a small, self-tapping screw and drive it into the bottom of the can.  Take only the amount you need (I put mine into a small glass jar) at the time.  It really reduces the amount of air that gets into the can.  My pint can has lasted over one year, so it works pretty well.  Other guys open the can and divide it into smaller, air tight containers (they mostly dip their baits though).  If you do open the can, get something called "Bloxygen" and put it into the can.  It apparently (I don't do it so don't know, but some guys on TU use it) extends it's shelf like as well.
Jeff

bassassasin88

May be obvious, but you put the screw back in to close it?

Cheetam

Quote from: bassassasin88 on April 11, 2009, 01:01:03 AM
May be obvious, but you put the screw back in to close it?
Yep.  The residue will cure around the screw and prevent any additional air from getting in.
Jeff

bassassasin88

Tried to order the dick nites until I seen the total with shipping.... 18.00 bucks. Is it available in any stores? Might have to bite the bullet.