Site Links

Shoutbox

Say Hi or something!

djkimmel

2024-02-26, 11:25:32
Ultimate Sports Show GR coming - March 7-10, 2024 at DeVos Place!

djkimmel

2024-01-16, 16:14:35
Lithium battery for sale. Someone probably wants it.

djkimmel

2024-01-11, 08:23:30
See you at the Ultimate Fishing Show Thursday thru Sunday!

djkimmel

2023-12-30, 12:05:12
Who's dropping by the new forum these days?

Advertisement

Welcome to Great Lakes Bass Fishing Forum. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:09:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Latest Articles

Mon, 26 Feb 2024 19:28:28 +0000
The 79th Annual Ultimate Sport Show - Grand Rapids is March 7 - March 10, 2024 at DeVos Place. Over 4 acres of fishing and hunting gear, outdoor travel, fishing boats and seminars!
Tue, 16 Jan 2024 00:43:52 +0000
Michigan's original sportsmen's show - Outdoorama 2024 up next! February 22 - 25 at Suburban Collection Showplace.
Sat, 23 Dec 2023 15:37:04 +0000
Kevin VanDam headlines a Star-Studded lineup of Seminar Speakers when the largest freshwater fishing show in the country, the Ultimate Fishing Show–Detroit, drops anchor January 11-14, 2024
Tue, 28 Nov 2023 15:46:34 +0000
This is resource page for aquatic invasive plants (weeds) including information on identifying them, and how you can help if you choose to. In Michigan, Starry Stonewort is becoming a real issue with over 120 lakes at least infested with it.
Fri, 03 Mar 2023 15:33:21 +0000
The Ultimate Sport Show – Grand Rapids returns to DeVos Place, March 9-12, offering the latest fishing, hunting and camping gear, as well as seminars

Advertisement

The PERFECT blueguill

Started by joshimoto son, March 23, 2009, 11:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joshimoto son

So after fishing with a few of the west coast guys... They have convinced me that oversized swimbaits can work.
I bought the Tru-Tungsten 7" swimbait with the intentions of learning to find big fish.
I have looked many times at the TT and was not super happy with how dark their blueguill pattern is.
I looked at the Talapia patterns too, to see if they would suffice right out of the package. Nope!

So I bought it knowing that the newly acclaimed "Airbrush Master" Jeff Cheetam could achieve the pattern I wanted.

I took it to him yesterday, and after 90 minutes of deliberation and research... this is what he ended up with.

He said that he wouldn't be able to get to it for a while, but four hours later he gave me a call and stated,
"Dude! This may be the best work I've done yet! This thing is sick!"

He was a little upset because he can't get a picture to justify the realism he see's when he's holding it in his hand.

After viewing the pictures, I can't wait to pick it up next weekend at the Wonderland Show. If you get a chance, go to the show and take a look at it before I snag it up.

I am only posting a generic before and after picture to keep it simple.

I think I see a new reality show coming. "Trick My Tru-Tungsten"

joshimoto son ;D

Cheetam

Quote from: joshimoto son on March 23, 2009, 11:06:15 AM
So I bought it knowing that the newly acclaimed "Airbrush Master" Jeff Cheetam could achieve the pattern I wanted.

Ha!  You're too funny.  I had no intention of getting to it until after this week, but as it sat there, all sad and drab looking, it kept calling to me...pick me!  Pick me!  I tried taking better pics, and got a couple decent ones, but once I can get some in natural light, it should really come alive.  Thanks to Josh for getting up the nerve to let a hack paint up your $50 bait.  A couple more pics (not that great of quality though):

Jeff

McCarter

darn!  I could never throw something so pretty.  I am afraid that the two POinter 100s he just painted for me will never see water.  I havent even seen them in person yet but the pics are good enough that they make me want to hang them on the wall rather than put them in a tackle box.

Nice work again cheezman

McCarter himself :-\'

dartag

i would mount that beauty on the hood of my truck.     

Cheetam

Quote from: McCarter on March 23, 2009, 11:59:08 AM
darn!  I could never throw something so pretty.  I am afraid that the two POinter 100s he just painted for me will never see water.  I havent even seen them in person yet but the pics are good enough that they make me want to hang them on the wall rather than put them in a tackle box.

Nice work again cheezman

McCarter himself :-\'
If you don't want to throw them, I will  ;D
Jeff

joshimoto son

McCarter,
I already played with them for a bit, you almost lost them for some strange reason.

joshimoto son ;D

Cheetam

Quote from: dartag on March 23, 2009, 12:03:36 PM
i would mount that beauty on the hood of my truck.     
I liked how this one turned out so much that I just bought three 4" versions online ;D  I'll save one for your new hood ornament if you'd like  :D
Jeff

dartag

the fish may crawl out of the lake and eat it off my hood.   the wife says it looks pretty and when i told her what it costs she shook her head.  she says it must be nice to have rich friends.  what are you going to throw that thing on.  150 lb braid.  i would definately take scuba gear along.

Cheetam

I just paint them, I don't salvage them  :D
Jeff

bassassasin88

LETS SEE YOUR WORK? not after seeing yours.

Cheetam

Quote from: bassassasin88 on March 23, 2009, 11:09:30 PM
LETS SEE YOUR WORK? not after seeing yours.
Seriously, post some of your stuff.  I'd like to see it.
Jeff

joshimoto son

At the forrest Wood Cup I watch one of my boaters lose a $100 Tripple Trout in about 6ft of water.
The water was all muddied up from the TM, he tried to use his rod and get a lucky snag, but failed.
He couldn't leave the boat during the tournament either.... soooo he just picked another one out of his tackle and
started throwing again. He was fishing for a Million Dollars... what else was he going to do? lol
He had over $2000 just in swimbaits on the boat.
I could have spent a lot of time in his boat just looking at baits I've never seen before.

These guys say once you get your first bite on a big swimbait, it can ruin you.
I'm hoping to find out!

joshimoto son ;D

Cheetam

Quote from: joshimoto son on March 24, 2009, 09:50:51 AM

He had over $2000 just in swimbaits on the boat.

Holy crappie!   :o
Jeff

McCarter

bassassasin88

Two questions, how did you remove the eyes? And did the epoxy take away the texture?

Cheetam

Quote from: bassassasin88 on March 24, 2009, 10:39:32 PM
Two questions, how did you remove the eyes? And did the epoxy take away the texture?
I didn't remove the eyes from this one.  If you haven't seen the eyes on one of these baits, you will understand.  They are by far the coolest eyes I have seen on a bait - very lifelike.  Plus, they are molded into the bait, so it would be really difficult to remove them, replace them with new ones and make it look good.  I taped over the eyes with blue painters tape, and used an exacto knife to cut carefully around them.  I then removed the tape carefully and slowly when I was done painting so I wouldn't pull any paint from the edges.  I don't use epoxy for my clear coat, I use Dick Nite's Lure Coat.  It is thinner than epoxy, is chip and UV resistant and is easy to work with.  If you look closely at the 2nd pick Josh posted, you can see it didn't take away from any of the details or texture at all.
Jeff

bassassasin88

I tried to tape off the eyes on an x rap and it didnt go so well. Do you generally remove the eyes? Like on lucky Crafts? Too many questions? Only one more. Do you brush or spray the dicks nite?

Cheetam

Quote from: bassassasin88 on March 25, 2009, 11:27:05 PM
I tried to tape off the eyes on an x rap and it didnt go so well. Do you generally remove the eyes? Like on lucky Crafts? Too many questions? Only one more. Do you brush or spray the dicks nite?
Most eyes are done in standard sizes, so I generally remove and replace the stock eyes (like on an Xrap which is 1/4 inch).  Depending on what baits I am repainting, the stock eyes may not match the color scheme/pattern I am doing so I replace the eyes with something that fits the scheme better.  The eyes on the Tru-Tungsten are just so cool looking, and with the way they are molded into the bait, worth taking the time to tape off and keep.  I didn't have so much luck taping over eyes at first, but once I started making the cuts with an Xacto knife instead of a straight razor blade, they started looking much better.  With the Dick Nite's, I prefer to brush it on instead of spraying or dipping.  I feel like I have more control over how thick/thin of a coat I can put on.  Keep the questions coming.  I don't mind one bit.
Jeff

Buckeye

I think th redone bait looks great, but I wanted to give you another option.  I have two Jackall Giron Ghost Bluegill baits that are great right out of the package.

I've looked at the TT baits, a bit pricey for me and I haven't seen anything in the size I would want.  7-inches seems too big for me in Ohio.  Do they make smaller sizes?

Eric

Cheetam

Quote from: Buckeye on March 26, 2009, 09:14:40 AM
I think th redone bait looks great, but I wanted to give you another option.  I have two Jackall Giron Ghost Bluegill baits that are great right out of the package.

I've looked at the TT baits, a bit pricey for me and I haven't seen anything in the size I would want.  7-inches seems too big for me in Ohio.  Do they make smaller sizes?

Eric
TT does have a 4" version of that bait.  It is $19.99 retail, but they go on sale sometimes.  Late last week two online stores reduced the price on some of their swimbaits 20%.  I was able to pick up a few for $15.99 (I say few because I needed to hit that magical $50 mark to get the free shipping from [REMOVED - see No Links Policy List]  ;D).
Jeff